Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one of these on Guns America yesterday. Any body have one, know how they shoot or what they ought to be worth? Thanks CL

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it's in excellent condition I believe they're worth about $100 + or -
They're a Martini type action but much handier than any Martini I have seen & they are 1/5 the cost. They're great little rifles and although there's no way they could be considered target rifles they're the most fun to shoot of any .22 I have. Just open it up & drop a shell in & you're ready to go. Also much better for kids than a semi-auto. There's also a repeater model but I think the single shot is the better of the two
jim.e

http://www.ithacagun.com/company/history/historian/model49.shtml

G

·
I had one but gave it to my eldest son. The only problem I ever had with mine was that it either had too strong a hammer spring, or the chamber metal was too soft. The firing pin would indent the chamber mouth making a burr, the spent ctg would not eject. A small chainsaw file would take the burr right off. POWDERMAN. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 49s are a neat little rifle if you can find one in good shape. They are a bit of a task to take apart and reassemble if you have never done it before. The main drawback with these rifles is the extractor. To a gun, every one that came in would not extract. New extractors are long since a thing of the past and if you have to order one, it will be from used stock. There have been a time or two that I cleaned up the top of the existing pc and SLIGHTLY bent the stem upwards to make better contact with the rim and so far the couple I did this way have not returned with the same problem. It's been a while but if I remember, they have alloy rec and cannot be reblued but instead painted; or the like. 100.00 would be a fair sum for one in good condition. Best,

xx

www.martincustom.com

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply X-ring. Always good to hear from you. I was kind of looking for a low cost first rifle (other than an air rifle) for my daugfhter. "Cheap" is the word here and I thought perhaps since shes a lefty this might work. You dont happen to know how they throw the empties? I am really leaning toward saving a few more bucks for a Marlin or a Savage left hand.. Any way Thanks.

P.S. My 250 savage has turned out to be an incredible shooter. Any advice for long barrel life? Have you had any experience w/ "wipe out" foam copper fouling remover? I have from a reliable source who knows a couple bench rest shooters and an ex-olympic shooting coach who swear by the stuf and have "thrown there bore brushes away". Any thoughts appreciated as always. Take care CL

·
Registered
25 Posts
CL

Good to see you also. The 49 doesn't throw the empties; just extracts. I kinda like that myself.

No experience with the Wipe Out; I use mostly Blue Wonder.

Get the 49 for the daughter; you will both like it if it's in good shape. Just don't take it apart.....haha.

xx

www.martincustom.com

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
My Mom's 49 ejected by snapping the lever closed- the top of the block would flip it straight up over her head- come to think of it, I've never seen anyone picking empties out of the 49's groove in the top of the breech block- flippers all of em :D

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
25 Posts
Doc

So if you closed the block to eject, you had to open it again to reload? All that I have seen just extracted the case far enough to pull it out, you reload the chamber and lever the block back closed on the round. None that i have taken apart had ejection springs in them. I have to do some checking on this.

xx

www.martincustom.com

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
X-Ring:

Absolutely- opening the lever dropped the block to expose the chamber. It takes longer to talk about the loading cycle than the actual doing. Not sure if the breech-block has spring assist- or if it would even need it. The extractor on her's pulled the empty out on top of the block...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine ejects strongly - up over you're head when you pop the lever open
you must have a weak ejector spring
jim.e

G

·
Mine ejected also, except when it got a burr as I stated before, mine was a sgl shot and one of the first made. I gave it to my first born son. POWDERMAN. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I still have an Ithaca 49R. It doesn't shoot anymore because the danged extractor jams the action while pulling the case out. I have had it to 2 different (and obviously incompetent) gunsmiths to fix it. If it didn't have sentimental value (first gun I ever owned) it would be in the scrap heap. A childhood friend had a model 49 when we were kids and we had no problems with it that I can recall. It seems that the Ithaca's were the cheapest thing available at the time, and the workmanship, and in my case frequent breakage, say that they weren't meant to last very well. :?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jimbo,you might give Sharps Guns Limited @ 905-774-6368 a try. I understand they do repairs on the 49 and 49R.Hope this helps,Tarheel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts