Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today I went into my LGS. (Clark brothers)walked over to the used gun rack and there sat 4 used marlin's. The first one I picked up was an old waffle top 336Rc that had been drilled and taped. They wanted $319 for that one. I didn't have any interest in it. Then I pick up another and it was 35rem in ok shape $419. Then I pick up a real nice 30-30. I lower the lever and what do I see ? Serial # AD#####
I can't believe I just found a 1968 336 in this good a shape. That's the year I was born. The bore is perfect, the loading gate look like it had never seen a bullet pass by it.the wood is near perfect.
:hmmmm: what do I do ? I guess I should get on the phone with the wife before I do something I shouldn't. If your not married you wouldn't understand. :biggrin:I get the go ahead from her becouse she knew I had been lookin for a long time.
They where asking $400 and I offered $350. He met me in the middle at $375. Not the worst deal I've ever got on a old marlin.
I get it home and tear it apart and it still has that old factory brown grease in it. Looks almost new. It had a bushnell 4 power scope on. I took that off and found that one of the plug screws had been striped out. I'll have to drill it out. So in the mean time I just put a Nikon 3x9 scope on.
Any how. I was stoked about a good find today.

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey J,

Great score!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
15,419 Posts
great lookin' rifle
congrats

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's always fun to find one made the same year you were born in, kinda makes you want to use it to blow out the candles on your cake... :hmmmm: Congrats on a nice find!

·
Registered
397 Posts
SCORE!! Awesome

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Very nice!

·
Administrator
27,825 Posts
Jcmyer, that is one super clean 336! It looks as though it just came out of the box. It's always sweet to find a treasure like that one.

Around my parts, the price you picked it up for is unheard of, honestly, it would probably go for $500.

Enjoy.

Jack

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Nice find in the year of your birth, she's in great shape, for sure! Kinda wish I only had to go back to 68 for my year of birth, 52 seems like a long time ago.:vollkommenauf: Congratulations to you, patience wins out. DP

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Jcmyer, that is one very nice looking Marlin. Looks to me as if it was in a time warp, wow. You made out like a fat rat in a cheese factory. Did you go and buy a lottery ticket or have you used up all your good luck? Enjoy that Marlin and take care, John.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
She's a beauty, great find!

B

Reactions: dhansen

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Congrats, it's easier to find Marlins in the year I graduated High Shool, then my born on date!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nice score JC! :congrats: I'm sure she shoots as good as she looks. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Congrats on a very nice rifle!!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
So today I went into my LGS. (Clark brothers)walked over to the used gun rack and there sat 4 used marlin's. The first one I picked up was an old waffle top 336Rc that had been drilled and taped. They wanted $319 for that one. I didn't have any interest in it. Then I pick up another and it was 35rem in ok shape $419. Then I pick up a real nice 30-30. I lower the lever and what do I see ? Serial # AD#####
I can't believe I just found a 1968 336 in this good a shape. That's the year I was born. The bore is perfect, the loading gate look like it had never seen a bullet pass by it.the wood is near perfect.
:hmmmm: what do I do ? I guess I should get on the phone with the wife before I do something I shouldn't. If your not married you wouldn't understand. :biggrin:I get the go ahead from her becouse she knew I had been lookin for a long time.
They where asking $400 and I offered $350. He met me in the middle at $375. Not the worst deal I've ever got on a old marlin.
I get it home and tear it apart and it still has that old factory brown grease in it. Looks almost new. It had a bushnell 4 power scope on. I took that off and found that one of the plug screws had been striped out. I'll have to drill it out. So in the mean time I just put a Nikon 3x9 scope on.
Any how. I was stoked about a good find today.

Great find and one nice rifle! :congrats:Now we'll need a range report......

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everybody. I was pretty happy.
I do have a Question though.
It being a 1968 what is the correct front hood for this rifle ? The LGS put a square hood on it. Put I think it should have the same style as my 48 and 53. Becouse it has the same style buckhorn as my older marlin. I'd think it would have the same styles front hood. Just courious. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 40 Posts