Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I scored on another Texan back in March and was able to get out today and find out what it likes. I put a 2X7 Redfield Revolution Scope on it last week so that an ammo test would have a little bit of validity.

I have been picking up whatever available ammo I can find over the past year and I finally got a box of 150gr and 170gr in Winchester, Remington and Federal. The Winchesters and Federals had been scarce for quite awhile.

You guys keep saying "It will tell you what it likes!". Well, I never doubted that statement, I had just not experienced it before. It was a great experience.

So, first off, it is a 1964 Texan, that appeared to have very few rounds put through it and lived in a controlled climate, because there was no rust anywhere.

Gun Rifle Firearm Shooting sport Air gun

The test, would be 5 rounds per group at 50 yards and the scope set on 7X.
The sequence would be Winchester 150 and 170, Core-Lokt 150and 170 and then the Federal 150 and 170.
I tried to take my time so that I wouldn't get the barrel too hot.
There were a few fliers, 2 of them were from the guy next to me, I'm starting to squeeze and the boom next to me causes a flinch and then mine goes boo
I did adjust up 4 clicks after the first and second groups

Apparently the target image doesn't want to load tonight, I will try in the morning.

Games Indoor games and sports Recreation Sport venue Play

Loaded up fast

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
A pair of fine lookin rifles! :congrats:What brand did it like the best?

Reactions: bnparts

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Looks like his pictures didn't post:hmmmm:

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I'm in for Federal. DP

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Talk about a teaser....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I should have waited a little longer, to see how many more would have picked the Core-Lokts. I was surprised to see the Fed 150 so tight after the CL groups, thinking maybe the barrel was getting a little to warm.

I still think the results are slightly tainted by some flinches.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Kinda figured the Fed 150's would Out Shoot the Others.
My Dad's 1958 336 Still Shoots'em into <1in @ 100yds.
As a matter of fact, That's All He Shoots in that Gun.
UncleSarge58

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
Judging by the picture it clearly indicates the Federal 150GR wins with two set of bullets touching and a single close by making the tightest group overall.

My JM 1999 30AS prefers the Federal Blue Box 150GR over all others for factory ammunition. Shoots MOA at 100YDS with a very heavy trigger. I still need to lighten up the trigger which will tighten up the group.

FWIW, whenever you're having problems loading pictures or it just seems to hang there without loading, especially after a long day of computer use, I have found cleaning my computer memory does the trick. I use CCleaner by Piriform. Just google it and it's free, does a fantastic job cleaning internet temp folders (your computers cashe or memory). You need to close all programs and then run it which is very quick but the results are fantastic in restoring your computers speed. Your pictures will more than likely load up real quick then.

I run CCleaner every night before I shut down my computer so in the morning it's ready to go for another full day of MO. Try it, you'll probably find your computer performs quicker again.

Jack

·
Registered
126 Posts
"FWIW, whenever you're having problems loading pictures or it just seems to hang there without loading, especially after a long day of computer use, I have found cleaning my computer memory does the trick. I use CCleaner by Piriform. Just google it and it's free, does a fantastic job cleaning internet temp folders (your computers cache or memory). You need to close all programs and then run it which is very quick but the results are fantastic in restoring your computers speed. Your pictures will more than likely load up real quick then."

I've been using CCleaner for years. It is a good product and it's free.
OP, good post. :congrats: That's how I try my loads too, both Factory and handloads. I know the latest trend is the ladder, but I still go by the groupings.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Those are some good lookin rifles!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.