Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have had some money in my budget for a new firearm for a while. I've been wanting a 1911 for a long time. But, I have Marlinitis bad... I'm now thinking about getting an 1894 in 44 Mag.

Are they as fun as they look like they are for plinking and range use?

My justification is that with 44 Special equivalents in a rifle, I have the same "firepower" as a 1911, but 2-3 extra rounds in the tube.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Then again, you could get a .45Colt and use the same diameter bullets! With the added bonus of being able not being accused of "magnumitus" and yet sneak in some "Ruger" level .45 Colt loads when you feel the need for more power!

Oh yea, that means you need to start the other addiction... reloading!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have that disease, too. Since I have the dies for 44, I'll probably stick with it. It will go quite well with my Ruger Super Blackawk Bisley Hunter, which I love.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Tatersoup said:
So, I have had some money in my budget for a new firearm for a while. I've been wanting a 1911 for a long time. But, I have Marlinitis bad... I'm now thinking about getting an 1894 in 44 Mag.

My justification is that with 44 Special equivalents in a rifle, I have the same "firepower" as a 1911, but 2-3 extra rounds in the tube.
I think I shoot my 1894 .44 Mag more than just about any other firearm, excluding various .22's. Of course, I already had the .45 ACP in various guises (including a 1911 or three). Even so, since I picked up my 1894, it rarely stays in the safe when I head to the range.

To answer your question - - Yes, they are as much fun at the range as they appear to be. They also double as a great little hunting rifle for much of the game I hunt.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yes.... It is! ;D
I have a few firearms under the "need" category...... Somehow I always end up with another levergun. :-[ I actually have three in 44 mag. One marlin, a Rossi(which I love!), and a Ruger 96/44. I think the 44mag is one of the best brush, or short range hunting rifles with the correct load. I use the Rossi exclusively in the truck(hot, heavy) and at home(44specials)....... I sleep with a Springfield XD fullsize 45. and the Rossi. One is none, and two is one..... With all the various types of ammunition out there it really will be one of the most functional, and FUN firearms you can get...... and for the price of a decent 1911 you can get 2 1894s. ;D I am lusting after the new 1894sbl!

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Hey Tater!
I do have a '94 CB in .44. When shooting magnum rounds, I don't honestly know if I'd be exactly plinking, that rifle has a kick to it that knid of made me put it down (for the day!) after 20 rounds, fired within a half an hour or so. I should try some .44s I guess. I think that the '94 in .357 is not only cheaper any way you cut it, but it is a great plinker to boot. You got one?? I got one in both 20" and 24".
I got that .44 mag hoping that one you fellers out there would take me pig huntin' one day!!! Northern California pig hunters, you out there??

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
But it's a good Sickness! A yes they are fun guns to shoot, I have two and started hunting with them last yr. and every time I go to the range one or both go with me. Get one you'r going to love it.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Tatersoup said:
Yes...they are that much fun for plinking, range use, and hunting. A very well rounded gun.

You won't have the same firepower as a 1911. You'll have more. Out of a rifle barrel you should be getting at least an extra 100-200fps. Pushing that 43 caliber Special 240 grain slug around 1000fps or more.

·
Registered
436 Posts
They are very fun to shoot. I have one in .357 mag. I use both .38 special and the .357 mags in it. It is so easy to shoot, my wife and little sister (both around 5'5") love this little rifle. Now I am looking for another one for them so I can have mine back.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Ya want fun??????????? Just try an 1894c, now there's fun, and cheaper to boot!!!!!! ;D
The only wat to have more fun any cheaper is to get an older 39a! :p

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Too right it is a sickness, but you have to feed it with lots of ammo which brings fun.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Marlinitis in any flavor is a very sweet sickness. Marla and I both have it. At last count, we have 31 Marlins of all types, and we're not hardly finished. Our latest is the 1895CB that arrived yesterday. Sweet! Still, it's going to take a lot to keep us from going to the gun show tomorrow. I'll probably just be looking for handloading stuff, but, if the right deal appears, another Marlin might just follow me home. There are still a few on my wish list. If I can find one in .25-35 at a decent price, I might just buy a Winchester 94. Or I might just get another .30-30 Marlin to be rebarrelled to that caliber. I don't think that Marlin ever made one in .25-35. It could be my next project rifle.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
@Aint No Fish

Us Northern Cali hog men are here.......... but the whole hog hunting thing in Cali is so locked down. Everyone wants to make $500-$1000 per pig. I worked really hard to get the free hog hunting that I have.... and I am just a guest, I can't really take anyone with me :-[ I also have to drive long distance to get on something. I am in Tuolumne County...... where are you located?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aw come folks. A sickness is something you want to be cured of isn't it?
Call it a sweet obsession!
FWIW I am hung up pn the idea of tagging an antelope this fall with my 44 mag. Wide open bald prairie and I plan to get within bow range before caressing the trigger. Now that should qualify as fun.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's getting to me. I JUST got my 30-30 set up for hunting and haven't even gotten blood with it yet, and now I'm thinking about another. :'(

I grew up in a shotgun only state, so center fire rifles are new to me. I had no idea that they were also so fun to shoot!

But, you know, I could make one my deer rifle, and make the other my hog rifle. YEAH! That's the ticket! ;D

And, Good luck, Leverhunter!

·
Registered
40 Posts
00buck said:
It isnt the sickness..It is the cure !! ;D
Indeed, theraphy in a troubled world!! ;) ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts