Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure many of our member's can post unusual stories of things that have happened to them in the field or on the water. Here's a story from my past. I had an English Setter named Sussie. I very seldom left home without her. She would follow me whether I wanted her to or not. One day I went for a boat ride down duck creek. It was a narrow winding creek about 2 miles long. I had a 15 foot juniper skiff with a 50 hp Mercury out board. The boat was really fast and this day it got me into trouble. I was 16 at the time.

On this day I was cruising down the creek with my dog Sussie on the bow cap. A Bufflehead duck got up in front of us and I was gaining so rapidly on it I thought I was going to run over it. Sussie saw the duck and dove off the bow after the duck. I ran right over both of them. I frantically kept looking back over my shoulder to see if she was going to pop up. Instead of letting off the gas I just kept glancing over my shoulder. I zigged when I should have zagged and missed a curve in the creek. The last thing I saw before I became air born was Sussie popping to the surface. I straightened out a curve in the creek. The boat stop very abruptly about 10 yards up in the marsh. I didn't stop. My left sheen took out the middle seat of the boat and I wound up on my back about 10 feet in front of the boat. My leg was not broke but I was in severe pain. When I got my wits about me I tried to push the boat back into the water but could not. My dog joined me setting in the marsh by me. It would be dark soon and nobody knew where I was.

I weighed my options for the long walk home. I struck out for the 300 hundred yard potion of marsh, 1000 yard hike through the swamp, crossed a 200 yard field, then I had to walk about a mile along the road to my house. I made it home about an hour and a half later. My dog wouldn't ride in the boat with me until the next summer, she would run through the marsh and swim creeks to join me where ever I stopped. Can't say that I blame her. As I type this I can feel the pain in my sheen and see the fear in my long pasted friends eyes, OLE SUSSIE.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's another one. While in my early teens I use to read the original THIS HAPPENED TO ME article in a hunting magazine. I can't remember which one might have been Outdoor life. Some poor fellow was climbing a tree in order to get to his deer stand. Back in those days deer hunters like me could not afford climbing stands or even lumber for steps. Most of us just shimmied up a tree and found a limb to set on. This fellow came to a fork in the tree and wedged his foot in the fork and pushed off to go higher. His foot got stuck and he was unable to get it out. He kept trying to free his foot and began to tire his self out. After becoming exhausted he lost his grip and fell backwards. It broke his ankle and messed up his knee. He tried and tried to pull his self up and finally passed out. Much later a friend went looking for him and found him up side down and unconscious. I thought to my self, that's crazy how can that happen.

The following deer season I am hunting in my favorite swamp. I was looking for a good tree and found the right one. It was a double tree. The tree split about eight foot up. Someone had given me a few of toughs screw in steps. I got to the split and put me knee in the split and planned on pushing off with my knee and hug one of the skinny trunks to shimmy a little higher to where the limbs started. About 14 foot up there where 2 limbs coming out just perfect. I could stand on one and sit on the other. Guess what, yep my knee had become wedged so tight that I could not free it. I tried and tried to hug the right trunk and pull my self up. At one point I had become so exhausted that I began to slip further backwards. All I could think of was I'm going to lose my grip of the tree I was hugging and fall backward's. This was not a good choice because I knew no one would find me. I had not told anyone where I was hunting. Panic started to grip me and I got an adrenaline rush. With all my strength I drove my knee deeper into the v and got a good grip on the trunk. I began digging with my left foot to get a bite on the side of the tree. Some how I did and managed to get high enough to free my knee.

I became a ground hunter until later in life when a buddy introduced me to the climbing tree stands. I learned two valuable lessons that day. Never think that you are any less apt to get into a bad situation than any one else, and always tell some one where your hunting. My buddies and I started making a habit of naming favorite hunting stands and would call each other when going deer hunting. Once I was unable to get hold of a buddy and got his wife on the phone. I told her I was hunting the bear stand, She didn't understand and I finally convinced her just to tell Jimmy I was going to be there. Later She understood because when I got home and called his house to confirm I was home. I got hold of his wife who was frantic. He had not came home. I had to find him at the swamp stand where he needed help tracking a wounded deer.

I'm sure some else has a story they are willing too share.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
It could have been worse . . . squirrelballs.jpg

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any of you see squirrels chasing each other and tapping a tree. Raccoons smart ones that is, do something that **** hunter's refer to as tapping a tree. When **** dogs chase a wily **** up a tree, he will go out on a limb and jump too the next tree until he gets away from the dogs.

This reminds me a time that 5 of us teenager went bull frogging. We went to farm ponds with an 11 foot jon boat. One night the 5 of us was in my little jon boat. Two on the back seat, two in the middle with one on the bow seat. As we paddled around the pond trying to gig frogs the bow man handled the gig. Trying to sneak up on frogs with 5 teens in a boat is next to impossible. I was on the back seat with my cousin. He kept hearing something splashing the water behind us. He took his flashlight and shined it in the water behind the boat to see what was splashing. All of a sudden a 2 pound bass jumped into the boat, possibly following the light beam. When the fish landed in the boat it started thumping around. In the heat of the moment someone hollered snake. You should have seen them guys. The 2 guys in the middle jumped up and ran over the guy in the bow and jumped in the water. The bow man followed along with my cousin. They all where having a hissy fit, trying to reach the bank. I was left in the boat rolling with laughter. When they made to shore I told them If I knowed you guys wanted to go swimming. I would have taken ya'll to a safer place swim. They said where's the snake. I said probably in the water with you guys. I then held up the bass. Someone said who hollered snake no one admitted it. I'll never tell. Those guy's reminded me of them squirrels chasing each other and jumping to the next tree.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One very crisp October morning I decided to go bow hunting instead of using my rifle. It was frosty and cold but was warming quickly. I stayed a little longer on the stand because I knew our deer would move again between 8:00 am and 9:30. A nice 160 lb doe came in and I shot her. She ran about thirty yards and I heard her pile up. I walked back to my house and had a cup of coffee. At the time I raised Basset Hounds for extra money, big money I might add. I had decided to train my stud dog to blood trail deer. I had carried him once before at night and it turned out to be a catastrophe. On that occasion my buddy went with us to help drag the deer out. When Sir Willie hit the blood trail it was on. He drug me through the swamp full bore. I had a short lead line secured tightly to my wrist. He drug me at a full run through briars through trees over trees between trees. I was screaming the dog was bellering, my buddy was laughing and I was a bloody mess. My buddy was rolling on the ground laughing when Willie found the deer. He told me it was the funniest thing he had ever saw. He said my flashlight was bobbing up and down and I was screaming like a little bitxx.

I decided to take Sir Willie again but this time I got a longer lead line. When Willie hit the blood trail we were off again. He only weighed 65 pounds but boy he had traction, at least in the day light I could see the limbs coming that where putting knots on my head. Willie drug me right over top of one of the biggest copperhead I ever saw. It was huge over 4 ft. long and as big around as my wrist. Lucky for Willie and my self the snake was cold and sunning his self. The snake struck at Willie and missed, fortunately as Willie drug me over the snake he was still stretched out and unable to get me. I got Willie tied off at a tree next to the deer and went back and killed the snake. I shot him all to pieces with my Browning HP. I can tell you this I wish I had hit the bathroom before we left the house.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This happened to my Wife. One Easter Sunday my Wife came to work. At the time we were working at the Kitty Hawk Wal Mart store in North Carolina. I had hurt my back and was working as a door greeter. She came in and waved and walked on to the back to clock in. I noticed a lot of people a gathering around the customer service department. They all seemed very disturbed and all their children where crying. There must have been 20 or more people standing around most where fussing and demanding to see the Store's manager. I got curious and walked over to see what was going on. The children where saying they murdered him, they murdered him. I walked up and asked one of the parents what was going on. He told me some sick SOB has killed a poor rabbit and propped him up in the grill of there PT Cruiser. Another Mother with her little girl walks into the store and I hear her daughter saying through her sobs, they killed the Easter Bunny. I turned to the man who had complained so much and asked what color is this PT Cruiser. He said blue. UT OH, I called my wife on the PA to come to the front of the store. I said we need to go out to the car and she said what for. When got out there sure enough there was the Easter Bunny. You know them little round openings where the fog lights go on a PT Cruiser. POOR POOR EASTER BUNNY was stuck head first in the hole. He was dead hanging out of the fog light hole feet justa dangling. My wife said oops I thought I hit a rabbit but when I looked back into the rear view mirror I didn't see him. I told her she better get back in the store lest some one saw her, causes she had about 10 kids in the store who where ready to have her lynched. I just got through reading the post about the coyote getting stuck in someone's grill. I couldn't resist posting this. When no one was looking I grabbed the little rabbit and put it in a garbage can and ran to the opposite entrance of the store while the manager came out of the store with 20 people on his tail. LOL

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Yes, this will be a good one. I have to ponder on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts