Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm sitting at my loading bar (I don't entertain much so I just coverted my bar to a loading bench, wife didn't care too much for the holes in the counter top but this is serious business) I realized that now that I have several old chamberings I really enjoy loading the old stuff. My bottle neck stuff is just sitting almost abandoned. And I'm plotting against them for deer season too. Is this just a passing fancy or is this just the next step in the evolution of a loader?

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Don't know nothing about that buddy,,
But the older stuff rules in my book.
Kinda like when they asked George Thourgood why he just played the old tunes?
He said,,
Because all the good ones done been made:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Sparky civil - Interest in the "old" cartridges has several outlets. Soon will come your quest for "old" reloading manuals, then the need/desire to try your hand at bullet casting. It's all enjoyable, go where the siren call of the "oldies" take you. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
I don't know if the syndrome has a name, but I've got it too. I haven't loaded a round of .223 in years, I only load enough .308's to make sure my rifles are zeroed, and the rest of my (rifle) reloading time is spent with the hyphens and their kin. 32-20, 38-55, 30-30, 218 Bee, 45-70, they all beg to be loaded and shot. I don't know which is you guys is the carrier here , but whoever you are, thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
I don't know if the syndrome has a name, but I've got it too. I haven't loaded a round of .223 in years, I only load enough .308's to make sure my rifles are zeroed, and the rest of my (rifle) reloading time is spent with the hyphens and their kin. 32-20, 38-55, 30-30, 218 Bee, 45-70, they all beg to be loaded and shot. I don't know which is you guys is the carrier here , but whoever you are, thank you!
PJ

That's somewhat of a mirror of my own condition.......a dozen or so bolt guns sit in the safe gathering dust.....no, I do wipe them off regularly. I don't know who the carrier is but we can blame it on anyone not posting to this thread...:biggrin:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Some rifle's can't be shot with reloading. Just finding brass to make brass from in some cases is getting hard. I have several Remington pumps in the Rem rimless calibre and you don't shoot them without 30 rem brass to make the others from. I'm wondering if 35 rem is next as mid way lists win as seasonal and doesn't list rem at all. Most oddballs can be maid from a common parent brass if it can be found. But that is getting harder to do in these day when even common stuff is hard to find. WW

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
PJ

That's somewhat of a mirror of my own condition.......a dozen or so bolt guns sit in the safe gathering dust.....no, I do wipe them off regularly. I don't know who the carrier is but we can blame it on anyone not posting to this thread...:biggrin:
Count me in with ya fellers. With me, I feel it's an obsession. Bolt guns are German design and Lever guns are all American.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I do my part and seem to only be loading the 45-70 and 45-acp lately...........................although I have 1000's of rounds of 308 waiting to be stuffed as well as 32 special and 30-30. Just can't find the motivation as the 45-70 is just too darned fun to shoot, and watermelon season is amongst us.......................

·
Registered
860 Posts
I load more straight wall cases than anything else, except for the .32-20 and a .303 Savage, but both rifles are over 100 years old!! Shooting sub MOA groups with laser precision gets boring after a while. It's take more skill to shoot the old stuff, and is a lot more fun. Just because it's old doesn't mean useless. My bolt guns sit idle, except for the rare ones like the Siamese Mauser in 8x52R. That's why I drive a '68 Buick ragtop, it's more than just transportation, it's got character, and you can fit two sets of golf clubs with Guido and Fat Tony in the trunk!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't own a firearm that I don't have brass, dies, and a mold for. Some times brass comes from factory. Just bought a Ruger #1 in 6mm rem and had to buy factory to get brass. I found molds, an ideal 95 gr and a RCBS 95 gr both drop 101 gr. I have 7 days of work left then retire. These things, casting, reloading, shooting will give me something to do beside 30 years of I'll do it later. WW

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
wwmartin, wwmartin, my man you have been taken in by the big myth. I was mandatorily retired from the military at age 60. I quickly found out I had no employment history as far as the civilian employment offices were concerned. Not too much legal call for an old special operations sergeant (I didn't go there, I didn't do that, and even if I did, I didn't get a T-shirt). Your real work is just beginning as there is a lot about retirement they don't tell you. You have to find out on your own. Hope your "honey do" list isn't too long. You can use it as an excuse to buy a lot of new or upgraded power tools. Maybe sneak a new firearm into the safe. Best of luck. Shenandoah

WW - If you can find it buy an old copy of George Nonte Jr's book "The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions". Worth it's weight in gold if you shoot the old military surplus calibers or old lever action calibers.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sparky,

I think I have this affliction as well as most of my favorite rifles are older straight wall cartridges. A couple of exceptions are two of the newer straightwalls (444M & 375W) and two older bottlenecks, 375 H&H and 416 Rigby. More that straightwall and older I just like bigger OD bullets. The 375W is the smallest round I shoot on a regular basis.

BB

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yup.. I loaded for two different calibers when I used only "modern guns" a lot... then I discovered the finer things in life( the cowboy game and other associated disciplines),now, at last count I think I re-load for 23 (most of them hyphenated) different calibers.

I still shoot my modern rifles, twice each a year just before hunting season to verify zero...then drag an old 45-70 or 38-55 etc. out of the vault to do the actual hunting with. LOL

This year it will be an old (cica. 1896) 1895 Marlin in 38-56 I've been working on periodically for the last 4 yrs. I finally got around to making some brass forming dies that worked out very well (along with the final fire forming) and the gun shoots 2" or so at 100 yds. I really wanted to take the gun to Wind's Happenz IV but won't make it this year so a-hunt'in it will go.

Reactions: Sparky civil
1 - 16 of 16 Posts