Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new model 1895SBL at Cabelas yesterday. The lever /action seems to be exceptionally stiff and difficult to work. Is this common on new 1895's? I have an older model 336, and it was butter smooth from day one. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I bought a new 1895 a couple of years ago or so. It was a bit stiff, but I replaced the lever with a WWG lever and polished a few places. Works quite well now. I also replaced the terrible trigger with the WWG Happy Trigger. That was the most significant improvement of all.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Ok I have a new 1895SBL I looked at 3 of them before I found one that didn't have fit and finish
issues with the wood. They also tended to need your foot to cycle them.
So I passed on those and eventually like a year later I did find a decent one and it's miles
better than the other 3 I looked at.

With the new Remington's you have to look them over and pass on buying them if they are crap.

Older JM marlins also had problems every once in a while I know because 30 years ago I owned
a couple and they weren't perfect. I had an 1894 44 Mag that pinched the bejeezus out of
my fingers when I closed the loop, and a 30-30 that probably could shoot around corners.

Generally the new Remingtons are getting better but you do have to look them over.
Otherwise your only choice is to pay 2-3x the cost of a new one for an old one.

My new SBL is a tack driver and for a 45-70 that is saying a LOT.

Check it out, see how good the wood is on it, cycle the action, and if they'll let you cycle some dummy
rounds even better.

If it's crap pass on it.

Reactions: a9mmfan and kraynky

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Welcome to MO Unit450! Congrats on that SBL, I just bought one a week or so ago myself! Okay, you will need to disassemble the rifle a little at first to see if there are "rub marks" on the lever. Mine had that and I smoothed them down with a fine sanding stone. If it is still rough to cycle, remove the lever again, and this time, remove the bolt assembly, look the bolt over carefully and smooth down any sharp or rough spots. Re-assemble and see how that feels. Check out the "do it yourself gunsmithing" forum for pics on how to take your Marlin apart, you should do that anyway and file down all sharp/rough edges, the Marlin is not difficult to disassemble/reassemble.
Good luck! and again Welcome! Oh..and pics of your Marlins!!!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I just bought a new model 1895SBL at Cabelas yesterday. The lever /action seems to be exceptionally stiff and difficult to work. Is this common on new 1895's? I have an older model 336, and it was butter smooth from day one. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Just bought a Remlin 336C in 35 Rem.
It was a bit stiff.
I pulled it apart (very easy) and thoroughly cleaned the parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner & nipped and polished the few metal burrs with jewelers files and a fine grained stone.
I then gave the innards a spray with Remoil and reassembled the rifle and then broke the action in by cycling it about 500 times.
It is now as smooth as chrned butter and cycles effortlessly.

The Wild West Guns "Trigger Happy" kit is childs play to install and vastly improves trigger pull (about 3 pounds and very crisp let off).

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Hi Unit450,
Welcome to MO. Your question is not easily answered. You may want to peruse this sub-forum MARLIN RANT FORUM until someone else answers.
Nah!....bin there dun that ...probably not a good idea.
You'll be told dozens of times that your rifle is a piece of junk because it's not a JM Marlin.
Can't see how that is going to make your Marlin ownership experience a more positive and enjoyable one.

Unfortunately the old JM Marlin company is gone.........time to MOVE ON.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
This is a common problem follow the breakdown instructions on this site and use 600 grit paper to slick up the moving parts, rub and clean with some light oil and put back together. Plus the more you work the lever the better it will become. congrats on the new rifle and welcome to the site

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.