Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was doing some research on long term storage of .22LR ammo. I understand there are issues with the degradation of the lube they put on.... supposedly some better or worse than others (depending on brand, year of manufacture. etc.)... Supposedly .22 ammo doesn't hold up well in long term storage.... Not like center fire ammo that can last nearly forever if stored properly....

Has anyone had any issues with long term storage of their .22lr ammo? If so, what the best way to deal with it?

I never used to worry about storing a lot of .22. I'd just go to the store and buy it when I needed it. But those days are apparently long gone... so I have stocked up several thousands of rounds over the last couple years. I want to make sure it doesn't go bad on me.

I currently don't really take any special precautions with it. I just simply leave it in the original packaging and stack it in my closet.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Good question. I've never given it a thought but all mine is stored inside a climate controlled area with low humidity. Unless it is in an ammo carrier headed to the range.

Reactions: GaCop and Magnum6

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Ive never ran into storage problems myself, I always store ammo in a safe with a moisture eater, and 50cal ammo cans. My 22 ammo is no older than 3-5 years old, as I shoot a lot of 22lr, and always have been the "buy a little extra" kind of guy..

I've shot god knows how many rounds of friends old stock 22lr that look like they've been thru the war, or boxes that they found in a drawer that their grandfather bought, to the forgotten box in the bottom of the tackle box found after a spring cleaning of the garage... they all worked

Heck, I even pick up every unfired 22 round I've ever found on the ground at all the places i shoot (mostly outdoor spots in the desert in arizona) after about a year or so, I had about 700-750 rounds in a jar of just those... I let the friends shoot those, and honestly cant remember ever having a real problem with those rounds. maybe one or two duds...

Im no expert by any stretch, but I dont see how they wouldnt last for a long, long time if stored correctly in a dry ventilated place..

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
send it to me I will test it and let you know which ones might have given me any issues, and I wont hold you accountable by any means :flute:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Use an un running refrigerator and a humidification rod in it works fine

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
How long do you intend to store it? More than 20 years?

I've shot 20+ year old .22 LR without problems. And I've had newer stuff that wasn't entirely reliable. If you buy the cheap stuff you risk unreliability, new or old. Of course, these days it's not easy to find .22 LR at all, unless you're buying online and you're willing to pay the ransom.

The enemies of rimfire ammo are heat and humidity. So don't store it in the attic or the closet near the shower. If you were to buy a case or two with the intent to keep it for your grandchildren, I would recommend letting it sit in a dry place (dehumidified basement, or air conditioned house) for a week or two, then store it in an airtight container, repacking it, if necessary. Leave it in the upacked in the shipping carton if you can. If you want to go an extra step, buy some of those vacuum cleaner activated collapsible storage bags advertised on TV, for the ammo. Then store them in a cool, dry place, such as a dehumidified basement.

My own rimfire ammo sits in a metal cabinet in my finished basement. Some of it is approaching 20 years old. The only stuff that is unreliable is newer production, cheap, poor quality that's about 5 years old. It contains dented cases, bent rounds, and some misshapen bullets. About 5% of the rounds need to be rotated for a second strike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I still have some from the early mid 90's and it's fine. I might come across a dud now and then , but not too bad. Stored in the house.
Mostly federal, Winchester and Remington with a few CCI. You should be good for 20 years or so.

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How long do you intend to store it? More than 20 years?
Maybe... probably....you never know. I am of the mindset the price of ammo is only going in one direction.... plus I really learned my lesson from this shortage. I want to be able to shoot with my son for many years to come...and enjoy it. I want my future grandson to be able to shoot our .22's....

I'm going to stock up and be prepared for whatever may come. As long as it is stored properly.... it will last a lifetime. As part of thinking and planning ahead... I'm doing some research on storing rimfire ammo. Some of the info I was reading recently was saying that some bullet lubes on .22 ammo can start to degrade and flake off as early as 5 - 10 years on some of the cheaper stuff. I don't believe everything I read on the internet.... so I thought it would be good to get some first hand experience from some of the good folks on this forum who I know.... have had .22 stocked up for a LONG time....

Seriously, what is the worst case scenario in having too much ammo? If I for some reason wanted or needed to sell some of it 10-15 years down the road... I'm sure I could sell it for a profit. I never overpay for ammo. When its priced right... I buy a little here and there. If its overpriced... it stays sitting on the shelf.

When you are in a situation where you really NEED something.... that's when you get raked over the coals. I don't want to be the guy getting raked.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
How long term are you talking. I recently shot some lead lubed 22lr that dated from about 1980. It ran fine. Even under Harsh conditions The ammo we have these days will long outlive us.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sir:

I have shot 20+ yr old 22lr that was copper coated with no issues. Also shot some very old blazer but the lube was still pliable. On the other hand I had some old Remington cheaper ammo that the lube hardened up on and they fired but had chambering and ejection issues.

I think it will last a long time and function depending on what it is lube with.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
I still have some from the early mid 90's and it's fine. I might come across a dud now and then , but not too bad. Stored in the house.
Mostly federal, Winchester and Remington with a few CCI. You should be good for 20 years or so.
I had about 30 rolling around in the bottom of an old fishing tackle box. This was about 20-25 years ago from Florida around salt water.
Found them late last year - they weren't pretty but they fired.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I have .22 ammo from the mid 1960's including some .22 WMR that still shoot fine. I even had some that was submerged in a flood. I pulled bullets and never found any evidence the powder got wet. Even those went bang when I pulled the trigger. I have a box of my dad's Remington .22 shorts from the 1940's that would probably fire, but I'm not pressing my luck with those.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Maybe... probably....you never know. I am of the mindset the price of ammo is only going in one direction.... plus I really learned my lesson from this shortage. I want to be able to shoot with my son for many years to come...and enjoy it. I want my future grandson to be able to shoot our .22's....

I'm going to stock up and be prepared for whatever may come. As long as it is stored properly.... it will last a lifetime. As part of thinking and planning ahead... I'm doing some research on storing rimfire ammo. Some of the info I was reading recently was saying that some bullet lubes on .22 ammo can start to degrade and flake off as early as 5 - 10 years on some of the cheaper stuff. I don't believe everything I read on the internet.... so I thought it would be good to get some first hand experience from some of the good folks on this forum who I know.... have had .22 stocked up for a LONG time....

Seriously, what is the worst case scenario in having too much ammo? If I for some reason wanted or needed to sell some of it 10-15 years down the road... I'm sure I could sell it for a profit. I never overpay for ammo. When its priced right... I buy a little here and there. If its overpriced... it stays sitting on the shelf.

When you are in a situation where you really NEED something.... that's when you get raked over the coals. I don't want to be the guy getting raked.
BigHorn , I don't think you have a THING to be worried about , as long as you keep the moister in your storage area Low" I have wore out 3 .... portable dehumidifiers in my loading room / gun Storage / powder / primer storage area . It basically takes care of my whole loading room , approximately 12ft. wide x 28 ft. long . I keep the dehumidifier set on 40 % humidity in that room 24/7 year around , and the Temperature stays at around 72 degrees , year around . Been that way for over 50 + years now . Never had Any Rust on ANY of my equipment" , Never had any problem with Any of the ammo I keep stored in that room including some old 22 rim fire stuff , never had any of my powder storage to go bad on me , same way with any of my primers ..... Never a FTF on any of my stored ammo , except a dud once in a Great while on rim fire stuff . I have to gun safe's in that same room , and I keep electric dehumidifier rod's.... One in each , and have NEVER had Any Rust form on Any of my weapons Ever , so do I think Any kind of 22 rim fire ammo go's bad from storage ? No" .... Do I think dehumidifiers play a role in keeping down moisture and rust ? Why , Of Corse Yes" Do I think 22 rim fire ammo go's bad because of lube flaking off... No" .... More likely High" humidity , or moisture causing ANY" , powder / primers / stored ammo to go bad ..... In other word's , like other's have said above , if you keep you ALL" your ammo And supplies , stored in a Good Clément controlled environment , You will be fine , How Ever long you store it . .... What's a Good Controlled environment ? Well I keep mine at about 72 degrees and 40 % humidity year around . Been like that for Many Years now . If I'm huntin in the woods and its snowing or raining , I keep extra ammo in a plastic baggie sealed up in my pocket ....

Magnum6

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
We store ammo in 5 gal. air tight buckets. I cut a plywood round to fit the bottom of the bucket to distribute the weight better and spin the top down with a desiccant inside. Seems to work quite well so far, but we don't have the time in to confirm REAL long term storage verification.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I made a range trip recently and when loading up my bag noticed I had an old partially filled Bucket of Bullets. There were probably 100 rounds left in it and if I remember right they were bought in the 70's. I tossed them in my range bag. We tried shooting these at a 50 yard target. They wouldn't reach it lol. It was kinda like a poof instead of a bang. This was the plastic bucket that seals up nicely. Powder was bad anyhow.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Now you bring it up.............

I guess I`d better throw all my old 22 ammo out. Some over 10 yrs old. That`s what happens when you stock pile.

Never had a mis-fire. Nothing. Just a "bang."

Maybe todays 22 ammo is different than yester-years. J s/n.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I live in Fl where humidity is high.I was told that as long as you keep them dry in an air cond space ,They will be fine .I have several 50 mm boxes full of 22lr in an air cond home in a closet. image.jpg Now,I purchased some old war stock 8mm Mauser bullets for dirt cheap at Space coast bullets in Melbournr ,Fl.They would not fire.The pin hit them hard ,but nothing.I tried firing them two or three times and some shot.But I do not like playing with live ammo.I am not going to chance it,so I chucked em.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Boobarzo
Those ammo cans of 22 will go bad in Florida!
Best thing to do is send'em here to me. It's much dryer here and I wouldn't want to see you waste your money on ammo that went bad..... :)

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
20,532 Posts
Never had any problems with ammo down here either. I keep it in the house/ac and some of it's 30-40 years old!

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I repack my ammo into ammo cans, other than thatI keep it dry. Humidity and temp swin'g's are contributing factor's according to my Son (prior USAF ammo troop). My long term hittin the fan ammo is also vacuum sealed. Bulk .22 ammo is generally put into other container's, ususlly fist sized container's that seal well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts