Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
They are not the same.
35 Whelen is a 30-06 necked up to 35 caliber.
35 Remington is a rimmed cartridge designed for lever actions.
The dimensions of the two cartridges are not even remotely close to each other

·
Registered
932 Posts
First off, Welcome from NY (Welfare State). I'm not an expert-nor do I play one on TV. Both take the same dia.bullet (.358) and that's were the similarity ends. The Whelen has stats closely to that of the 30-06. The brass is larger as well-they aren't interchangeable in your 336 CS. Your 1983 Marlin 336 CS .35, is only for the 35 Rem.caliber. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Here are some diagrams showing case dimensions on the two cartridge cases you are talking about. The .35 Remington on the left, and the .35 Whelen on the right.

.35 Remington Case.jpg .35 Whelen Case.jpg

The only things similar between these two are they both shoot the same diameter bullets, and they both use a Large Rifle Primer. Other than that, those two really have nothing in common.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Nope... as already shown above.

Reactions: Floridahunter57

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you....a few days back went to Cabelas....they only had 35 whelen...both associates that I talked to swore and even "researched" the "Net", telling me that they would fit. Went home and my rifle "did'nt agree". They ended up giving my $$ back:: but what really made me Sad...was the Fact that their "protocol" does Not allow resale of this ammo. and was to be Trashed. Meantime;; we are paying 2 bucks X Round. THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Sorry to hear about your hassles, Florida. Over the years, though, some of the dumbest and worst advice I've heard on guns and shooting came across the counter at a gun store and, have to say, that one really stinks to the point of being potentially dangerous. If you could actually squeeze a 35 Whelen in your 336, you'd have far more pressure than the 336 could handle, nearly twice the level of the 35 Remington. Thank heavens you can't.

That's the kind of stupidity that can get someone hurt. I would have reported it to the manager.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
They are not the same.
35 Whelen is a 30-06 necked up to 35 caliber.
35 Remington is a rimmed cartridge designed for lever actions.
The dimensions of the two cartridges are not even remotely close to each other
It was designed for the Remington #8 Auto-Loader, and is 'rimless'...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I stand corrected.
Thank you, Salmoneye

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
There are to many behind the counter experts these days. Beware!
True....But if you can comfortably lower your "Self Esteem" to ask some really dumb questions, the responses can be very entertaining............As long as you, yourself can seperate Fantasy from Fact..................

Cabelas's (and other Big Box store) gun counter workers are some of the best people to ask those types of questions of.....................

Tom

Reactions: T-Roy and JACKTW

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
You messed up when you took the ammo back. The proper solution would have been to get a gun in 35 Whelen to shoot them in. The 35 Rem and the Whelen are very similar in that you would love both of them.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Thank you....a few days back went to Cabelas....they only had 35 whelen...both associates that I talked to swore and even "researched" the "Net", telling me that they would fit. Went home and my rifle "did'nt agree". They ended up giving my $$ back:: but what really made me Sad...was the Fact that their "protocol" does Not allow resale of this ammo. and was to be Trashed. Meantime;; we are paying 2 bucks X Round. THANK YOU!!
Taking advise from an idiot behind the counter in Cabelas or Bass pro shops is a mistake that can get you injured or cost you money.A knowledgeable counter person at those stores may rarely exist,but all the ones I have met have no business giving advise.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,353 Posts
Here are some diagrams showing case dimensions on the two cartridge cases you are talking about. The .35 Remington on the left, and the .35 Whelen on the right.

View attachment 112479 View attachment 112480

The only things similar between these two are they both shoot the same diameter bullets, and they both use a Large Rifle Primer. Other than that, those two really have nothing in common.
Whew! I'm going to put my $.02 in. First, the 35 Remington is a rimless cartridge that was designed for autos, pumps, bolts, and lever guns adapted for a rimless cartridge. Second, the illustration on the right appears to be a 30-06, no way a .358" bullet will go into a neck who's O.D. is .340" But, YES, the .35 Whelen IS based on the '06 case. AC

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Whew! I'm going to put my $.02 in. First, the 35 Remington is a rimless cartridge that was designed for autos, pumps, bolts, and lever guns adapted for a rimless cartridge. Second, the illustration on the right appears to be a 30-06, no way a .358" bullet will go into a neck who's O.D. is .340" But, YES, the .35 Whelen IS based on the '06 case. AC
Good catch... :biggrin: I changed the post to include the .35 Whelen, in addition to the parent case - - the .30-06... sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
It was a good thing you had a 35 Rem not a 35 Whelen and they had 35 rem. Shooting 35 Rem in a 35 Whelen would have been a mess. These stores ought to give more training than how to ring up a sale and pressure you to get their credit card.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
With the past experiences I've had at Cabelas, I would have been very tempted to explain to them, those .35 Whelen cartridges would be a better fit in their backsides than in my 336...and, I would be happy to demonstrate that fact, using the steel toe of one of my work boots.

Roe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts