Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two different types of 30-cal 130 grain Speer bullets - the flat nose lead-tipped and the hollow point "varmint" style. I can find a lot of info and discussion regarding the former, but not nearly as much on the latter. Here's the bullet I'm talking about:

SPEER VARMINT HOLLOW POINT RIFLE BULLETS | Brownells

It's not the pointy hollow point so many are making these days, but rather the point is much larger diameter. As far as the tip is concerned, I see no reason it wouldn't be safe stacked in a tubular magazine. However, unlike the FN model, it has no cannelure. Is neck tension a possible problem?

What say you guys as to the fitness of this bullet in a 336 or Win 94?

thanks,

jake

·
Registered
196 Posts
Personally I would not load up a mag tube full of these. First would be the chance of detonation. Yeah, you may never get it to happen in a lifetime. Then again, what's your body worth? The other problem is the one you hit on....no cannelure. Again, you may never get a bullet to collapse into the case and cause pressure problems. And again, that same question of bad things happening to your body.
That do NOT mean you are stuck with these bullets. If you read most of the posts here about pointy bullets, you would see that many of us reload these and load one in the chamber and one in the mag tube. I came across a big batch of 130gr. hp's. at a steal. I have worked up a super accurate load in my Marlins and that is my yote round.
So try what you think is best and safest. You could always try to sell or trade them if you don't want to go with them at all. Good luck and happy shooting!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You should call CCI-Speer. One of their technicians ought to be able to give you the "go-or-nogo" for a tube mag with these....be sure & have the bullet # ready when you call. Good luck, jd45

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
You don't need to crimp the 130 Speer HPs

First if you find that they won't stay put, remove your expander put it in a drill and sand it down .002 smaller and see if you can push it in with your thumb. They should stay put. If not you can remove the expander and seat the bullet making a wasp waisted neck that will hold that bullet in place. I've done both and both ways work with that bullet.

I've loaded a lot of them in a Winchester and Marlin for years never had a mag tube detonation with them wide open HPs of that Speer.

BLC#2 seems to be the powder that works well. Would not be surprised if W748 would work as well.

I can't seem to find them in my area. But I can find the 125 Sierra HP made for 30-30. I'm just going to have to order some and have them shipped.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You should call CCI-Speer. One of their technicians ought to be able to give you the "go-or-nogo" for a tube mag with these....be sure & have the bullet # ready when you call. Good luck, jd45
That's what I'd do ... and, even then, I don't think I'd have any problem loading and shooting those pills.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Pretty sure Marshall Stanton at Beartooth bullets uses spritzers he cuts the lead tips off for lever guns. Gives them a flat point.

One other thing it does take a hard thing in the center of a primer to set it off.

Only mag tube detonation I know of that is possible is in a 45-70 with a narrow meplat bullet and that is because of the bubble in the mag tube.

There is special 45-70 brass made with small rifle primers for some of the high performance ammo on the market with cast bullets.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Buffalo Bore uses those small primers and I can't see anyway to set those off except with a firing pin.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
The buff bore ammo is the reason we have the small primers to eliminate that mag tube detonation.

Imagine say 6 540gn hammerheads in front of the one that is cocked into a large primer at that bubble area?

So you have 3240 gns of lead plus all the other components slamming against that one primer during recoil.

A 30-30 levergun does not have that bubble, and the cases are in a bottleneck shape with a very wide rim, causing the ammo to line up very staggered and no primer to tip contact.
Biggest problem with mag tubes to date are the pointed gummi tips wedging into the side of the tube (very staggered away from a primer to do that) and the follower unless it is one of the new followers with a cup design and that centers the pointed bullet for the first round only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts