Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little corner bit sticking into the top front of the eje tion port, is it normal, or a QC issue?

The gun is a new 1895 Trapper that functions fine when I shoot it, but I carry it as a predator defense gun loaded with HSM Bear Loads (430 grain cast,) and at the end of the trip, it doesn't want to eject the live rounds. The tip of the projectile barely catches on that little corner bit. I have to remover the bolt and ejector to get the rounds out the back of the receiver.

·
Administrator
30,727 Posts
Kagan, I can't tell by the picture but it appears the metal corner you have circled sticks out so as to obstruct the opening of the ejection port. Is this correct?

Regardless, if cycling un-fired rounds to empty the magazine and they're hanging up due to the protruding metal corner, then it is NOT normal.

Every rifle Remington builds should be run through it paces to be sure of 100% function before proof stamping.

Call Marlin and ask for tech to discuss your rifles problem. They should take care of repairing it.

Jack

·
Administrator
30,727 Posts
I'd caution using a cutting torch on it as that will definitely void the warranty. Safest bet is what I suggested and have Remington either repair it or replace it.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
New gun under warranty....definitely stick it back in Remingtons face, there's no way you should wind up paying anything for a firearm that SHOULD be reliable, if Remington/Marlin is going to succeed, they need to see this crap coming off their "quality" line.

·
Banned
345 Posts
I can't tell from the photo but that looks like a little bit of flash in the ejection port. If the rifle functions fine otherwise I would take a small file or sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and polish it up.
Same here. If it's just a bit of metal hanging after the milling, then it's a none event to fix. Sure, it shouldn't be there in the first place. No excuse, if that's what it is. The rifle can always be sent back. However, I wouldn't be packing up the rifle just for that. I'd probably disassemble (which I do anyway), and check the rest of the receiver. I have two Remington produced Marlins, that have a very clean finish in the receiver. Did have to sand a sharp edge lever though. That's a cinch with stainless steel

·
Registered
28,560 Posts
New gun under warranty....definitely stick it back in Remingtons face, there's no way you should wind up paying anything for a firearm that SHOULD be reliable, if Remington/Marlin is going to succeed, they need to see this crap coming off their "quality" line.
agreed. if you fix this problem you void your warranty. so if any other problems come up your stuck.

·
Banned
345 Posts
Would smoothing up sharp lever or hammer edges void the warranty? I'd hope not. A little flash, or burr left from milling, is just what it is, if that's what it is. A few seconds of simple de-burring. There are a whole lot of guns out there, where owners do simple deburrs and smoothing all the time. Of course, from the pic, it's harder to tell, than seeing it up close.

·
Administrator
30,727 Posts
Would smoothing up sharp lever or hammer edges void the warranty? I'd hope not. A little flash, or burr left from milling, is just what it is, if that's what it is. A few seconds of simple de-burring. There are a whole lot of guns out there, where owners do simple deburrs and smoothing all the time. Of course, from the pic, it's harder to tell, than seeing it up close.

Voiding the warranty depends on what one does, internals vs externals, mechanical vs cosmetic. But you miss the point. If you bought a new car that wouldn't go into reverse, would you have the dealer fix it or do it yourself? Same goes for a dent or scratch.

Personally, I don't buy a new rifle to smooth sharp metal edges to avoid cutting myself, or to make a rifle fully functional. That is the manufacturers job to perform and if they fail, then I'll shove it back to them to make it right.

If we all accept crap due to a lack of QC then we can expect Remington to continue pumping out inferior product that we'll need to finish or send back. I won't make one excuse for Remington's reputation of shipping non-functional, unfinished, or anything in their product that should be done prior being shipped.

IOW, if we want Remington to step up their quality, then demand it!

Jack

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I'd venture a wild guess that most of us here on MO could fix that issue no problem....but then, them that made it will never know they screwed up yet again! Now if the gun was used and had a problem, then yes attack it to the best of your ability and if needed help from the guys and gals here at MO. We're here to help each other, that was the foundation MO is based on years ago.

·
Administrator
30,727 Posts
I'd venture a wild guess that most of us here on MO could fix that issue no problem....but then, them that made it will never know they screwed up yet again! Now if the gun was used and had a problem, then yes attack it to the best of your ability and if needed help from the guys and gals here at MO. We're here to help each other, that was the foundation MO is based on years ago.
SPOT ON! And it continues to be so.

Jack

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I bought a 10 22 ruger the other day ,it was a jam o matic , after a close inspection I found pretty much the same thing , a bur in the ejection port .I dremmelled it out ,polished it and now runs like a sewing machine

·
Registered
985 Posts
Remington WILL stop putting out this crap when people stop BUYING it. I know this is a Marlin forum and you'd probably expect a certain amount of loyalty here. But these guns ain't Marlins anymore.

Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately, I bought it a few months ago, and have shot it a few times, so returning it to the retailer isn't an option, and being up here in Canuckistan, I can't send it to Marlin either. I'd have to send it to the warranty center on the other side of the country. Shipping is expensive up here, and who knows how long it would take to get it back. I have a few trips planned and would rather not be without this gun for very long.

I know I could just file it down, but I really feel like that's something a guy shouldn't have to do. Especially considering what they charge for these things up here.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Not sure what I'll end up doing here.

·
Registered
28,560 Posts
Agreed. but never admit to Rem you did anything!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.