Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a Marlin 336ss, and I'm super excited about it. The rifle looks amazing except for a gap near the top tang. I'm something of a noob, so I thought I'd ask the guys with more experience. Does this look normal or should I call customer service?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
To be honest it is sloppy work to leave that gap but if this is a new Remlin I am not surprised. Check the other wood to metal joints---if they are okay then make sure the butt stock does not wobble up and down. If everything else is good with the mechanical operation then I would not send it back because it may come back in worse shape from Remington. I bought a 308ME and it had gaps on the tang like yours and also gaps on the side plus the stock had an up and down wobble. I found that it was badly fitted and the hole for the tang bolt was drilled like way bigger than the bolt because it was not aligned so they drilled the hole in the stock 3/8 inch so they could insert the tang bolt. I had to glass bed everything and then redrill the hole properly. I did not send it back because it was a straight shooter and mechanically functioned without jamming.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
As said, if there are no other obvious gaps it's mostly cosmetic. It would probably drive me nuts to the point I'd try to fill it, sand it and stain it.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies. I appreciate your advice. Overall, I'd say everything else is perfect. It has a little line in the finish where the buffer was focused (I'll try to work that out later). Also, the scope screws at the top seems to have some sharp edges where I fear the chrome might chip off. All the other wood - metal junctions look perfect. The action is rigid, but I haven't cycled it a lot. I still need to work it more. Overall, the pic is the only issue I had with the gun. I thought about filling it with some wood putty just because I think it will be a dirt trap, but I don't want to ruin it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
On bolt actions that gap prevents recoiling from splitting the wood at that point. Not sure about lever guns. It does seem to be excessive.

AC
I agree.................

On the Marlins, check to see that the receiver cheeks are in contact with the stock on both sides...........those checks are the intended bearing surface for absorbing recoil.

That gap is a bit excessive, and can be filled with a wax color stick used on furniture..........Don't send it back..........Remington will only make it worse by giving you mis-matching wood.

The new Remington/Marlin people are all related to the "Three Blind Mice", and those "Three Monkeys" that don't see, hear or say anything..........

Tom

·
Super Moderator
15,270 Posts
Welcome from California. ....................not right, but cosmetic. From my experience with a 'new' Marlin purchase, if it is a good shooting, properly function rifle, I'd just leave it be.

John

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
All good advice here but am I the only one that noticed the burr on the screw slot?
No, but that's an Ilion screw!...................They're all like that.

Tom...............LOL!

·
Registered
221 Posts
IDK, if that's the only thing? Take the stock off, does the end where it meets the receiver fit tight? Or is there a gap there too?
If so find out where it's hitting maybe you can remove a bit of wood, or a chip there somewhere. If it's already tight up next to the receiver you're done.
I'd see how she shoots and go from there. looking at the picture again I got to say that would bug me to no end, I would have to do something, either fix it myself or send it in, that's to much to look at, lol.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
If the rifle shoots well,I wouldn’t send it back to Idiot,NY.You don’t know what you’ll get in return.It may come back with an ejection or feeding problem.
I’d call them,tell them I have a crack in the stock and see if they would send a stock set.Henry did that for me.I told them I had a crack in the stock.But,of course Henry has great CS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.