Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about this bullet a original 1895 45-70 load. But with a lead bullet, how much of a point, can you get a way with. Here is a picture, and details, in link after it.
I am thinking about putting a 30-32" barrel on a old 1895 that someone already cut down. And if you are wondering, the overall length of 2.93, should work, in this model.
And if I can't use it, i guess I will just go with the old 500gr version, which I know will work.
Here is a actual picture of one. Postell design.
535 grain, 402 B.C.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=80
500 grain, 391 B.C.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't, as you say, "try to get away with" anything. I'd file a flat on the nose to ensure there'd be no chain-fires. It won't have any effect on the flight of the projectile. Think about what you're risking. jd45

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I would not see a problem with them.
But be careful if you are concerned contact the maker and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Yeah - funny about the 45-70. You can "drop down" to a 500 grain - which I think works for anything in the Americas with some left over. ;)

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Wow 535 Grain? What are you going to be shooting at?

Just how "old" is that 45-70? You might want to check if that old gun can handle it.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, this would be for long range target shooting, more than hunting. And I alway could just have a 2 shot, when using them.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I know many people don't believe it but I have read of more than one "study" to determine the risk of shooting pointed bullets in a tubular magazine rifle that found it virtually impossible to cause a detonation of one round by another regardless of recoil or amount of point on the bullet behind it. Personally, I still prefer to use RN or FN bullets but I don't in the least worry about just how round or how much of a flat they have. If they are classified as RN or FN by the bullet maker, I call 'em good.

Kinda like tumbling loaded ammo to clean it. All sorts of wives tales about how unsafe it is, how it causes breakdown of the powder grains or strips off the coating and changes the burn rate... Wrong again. LOTS of studies on that one even to the point of leaving loaded ammo in a tumbler for DAYS with no significant change in the appearance of the powder or more importantly, the velocity or pressure when fired. Not what you asked about but semi related as an example that the old accepted theories don't always have much basis in fact.

Reactions: Schtoolee

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Yes they are, Ive shot these in my buff classic, and I would not stuff them in my GG.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Actually, this would be for long range target shooting, more than hunting. And I alway could just have a 2 shot, when using them.
If you are long range target shooting, you will single load the rifle, so no problem. I doubt these bullets will feed through the 1895 action, so no problem. Having single loaded some of these same loads over 70 grains of black powder in my 95CB, I am here to tell you, it is a problem; they recoil with a vengance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts