Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
You would need to get a bore light and look down the barrel. You should clearly see the rifling twists inside the barrel, along with a very shiny barrel (inside).

A picture of the outside of a barrel doesn't do you to much good.

Mike T.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant the round tip down in the barrel. From what I was told, the deeper it goes in (that is, the less of the bullet you see), the more shot out the barrel is. I am not sure if this is normal for Marlins though as I am still new to them.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Shot out? Highly unlikely. For one thing, the 30-30 is not a barrel burner. For another, most folks never shoot their 30-30s enough to ever wear out a barrel. Action and parts would likely wear out long before the barrel. Most barrels on a 336 that give up the ghost do so from from rust and pitting, damage to the crown and overall lack of maintenance. If the barrel bluing looks good and original and the crown hasn't been damaged, you're about as safe as you can be as to the barrel on a used gun with a 336 in 30-30.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot out? Highly unlikely. For one thing, the 30-30 is not a barrel burner. For another, most folks never shoot their 30-30s enough to ever wear out a barrel. Action and parts would likely wear out long before the barrel. Most barrels on a 336 that give up the ghost do so from from rust and pitting, damage to the crown and overall lack of maintenance. If the barrel bluing looks good and original and the crown hasn't been damaged, you're about as safe as you can be as to the barrel on a used gun with a 336 in 30-30.
Thank you! Question answered. :)

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I meant the round tip down in the barrel. From what I was told, the deeper it goes in (that is, the less of the bullet you see), the more shot out the barrel is. I am not sure if this is normal for Marlins though as I am still new to them.
To be brutally honest, whoever told you this is full of it and knows nothing about rifle barrels. The bullet is going to drop into the muzzle until it's stopped by the ogive. Depending on the profile of the bullet, measurements will be all over the map. A bore light or better yet, a bore scope should be used to determine the condition of the bore.

Barrels that are "shot out" are usually chambered in overbore cartridges, and it's the hot gases that erode the rifling in the throat area, not at the muzzle. The medium sized bore of the 30-30 burning an average of 35 grains of powder should last nearly forever. If the rifling at the muzzle is gone, then that was caused by neglect and improper barrel cleaning techniques.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Well now, I'm thinking there is very possibly some wear at the muzzle. Probably due to cleaning rod use.

However, the only way to know for sure is to slug and measure. Reason I'm saying what I am is because I've got a 1957 Texan in 35 Rem that has always shot somewhat erratically. Recently I found some unmarked bullets that I figured were either for the 35 or for my 9.3 (which is .366) and did a quick muzzle check on the 35 and 9.3. Turns out they were 35 cal but just by chance, I stuck the same bullet into the muzzle of two different 35's and was shocked to see that it dropped in quite a bit farther on my 35 than it did on my boys. Just so you know, my boys rifle is a tack driver, mine has been a basket case since I got it with erratic accuracy. When I put a 35 cal bullet in the muzzle of mine it looks just about like your picture. If in my boys gun, it stops nearly 1/8" higher. Both are microgroove guns.

So, to answer your question, I guess it depends. Like already stated, it depends on the shape of the bullet so you almost need a known good 30-30 next to the questionable one so you can check the SAME bullet in both guns and compare. Even then it might be inconclusive because bottom line it will only tell the truth when you shoot it.

My gut says there is a pretty good possibility that the muzzle on that gun does have wear. I posted about mine and it seems the quick fix is to counterbore slightly to reach the part of the rifling that is not worn or you can shorten the barrel and recrown.

Since you don't have the gun in hand, if I were you, I would ask the seller if he owns any other 30 caliber rifle. Could be .308, 30.06, 30-30 etc. and have him send you a picture of the same bullet in the muzzle of two different guns. Unless both muzzles are worn, it should be obvious in the pictures if there is a difference. Of course, if both guns are owned by the same guy and he has used the same cleaning practices on both for years, both guns just MIGHT have the same type of wear. I would also explain your concerns and ask if there is an inspection period where you could look it over and send it back if not satisfied. Can't hurt to ask and honestly, even if it is worn, if the rest of the rifle is excellent it might be a great candidate for a chop job. Might even get some money back to boot if you can prove it is worn.

Reactions: napoleon1815

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey all,

Looking at a 1969 336. I had the seller send me some photos of the barrel. Sorry they are blurry! Is this barrel still good?

Thanks.

OK!!!! the first thing I want to specify..DO YOU HAVE THE CORRECT AMMO IN THE BARREL??? :flute:..... :biggrin: JUST SHOOT IT... its fine... :biggrin:

View attachment 101859 View attachment 101860
OK!!!! the first thing I want to specify..DO YOU HAVE THE CORRECT AMMO IN THE BARREL??? :flute:..... :biggrin: JUST SHOOT IT... its fine... :biggrin:

·
Registered
465 Posts
You guys got me all curious so I got a 170 grain core-lokt and put in in the muzzle of my 336 like in the pics. Mine looks like the one in the OP.....some of the bullet just in front of the cannelure is showing. More of the bullet appears to descend into the muzzle on N578MD's brand new barrel. My 336 is a 1967 that I bought from someone who told me that it had been fired very little, just spent 44 years in a closet.....poor little guy. I've probably put 100 rounds through it and it shoots fine.

Anyway, probably not a good test and the barrel is likely fine.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I can't believe I just got up and checked my .35 rem and my .32 spec. I used a bullet from a 30-30 and it went through the .32 almost to the rim. You think I have anything to worry about? :biggrin:

No, as long as they fit in the hole, you'll be right.:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey all,

Looking at a 1969 336. I had the seller send me some photos of the barrel. Sorry they are blurry! Is this barrel still good?

Thanks.

View attachment 101859 View attachment 101860
the "bullet test" is a rough, relative test. it is less-useful on micro-groove barrels, because the rifling is not very deep to start.

that barrel is probably OK. if not, it is cleaning rod damage.

get a 3-day non-firing inspection, and have a gunsmith look at it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
As stated before it's not likely that there have been many 30-30 barrels "shot out" in history.
For better or worse, I have not found many worn out by cleaning either.

Reactions: Plano and Mop

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Well, just for the record, here is a pic of the two guns I mentioned earlier. Both are 35's and both bullets are 200 grain Remington core locks. The rifle where you can still see the cannelure on the bullet is a 1970 model and shots very well. The one where the bullet had dropped in past the cannelure is my 1957 Texan. It shoots fair to poor.

Until last week I had no idea the bore was that loose.

So, from my limited experience, a barrel that lets a bullet drop in as far as mine does MAY indicate barrel wear. If not truly wear, then lets just call it "out of spec". Either way, it is not conductive to good accuracy. Again, based only on my limited experience.

Reactions: M700
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.