Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to arm$list and search for "FOR SALE: MARLIN 1894CSS 1894C 1894 CSS JM STAMP." Then look at the second picture. Ive never seen a "JM" "stamp" like that before. Looks like it was engraved with a dremel tool or someething. OR, is this a rare variation of the ubiquitous JM mark? I smell a skunk myself, but I'm a relative noob when compared to the expertise on this board.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
This whole JM stamp craze is really a little misleading. The only time it matters is if first the serial number indicates the rifle was built around the period when Remington took over production. That's approximately 2009-2011. Otherwise a pre-2009 serial number indicates it was built by Marlin. A serial number starting with "MR" is a Remington built rifle. If you focus on the "JM Stamp" you could be misled by an unscrupulous seller who starts stamping Remington rifles.

Always ask for the first two digits of the serial number.

Smells like skunk. Two photos, one of the entire rifle, and another with what looks like a JM applied with a hardware store buzzy tip engraver.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
There is a similar phenomenon in guitar/amp collecting circles. In the '60s Fender Musical instruments was bought out by CBS. The "pre CBS" Fenders later became coveted items and deemed vastly superior to the "compromised" CBS products. The changes made by CBS were not instantaneous and cosmetic changes did not necessarily coincide with internal circuit and manufacturing process changes. However "Blackface" Fender amps fetch a higher price than "Silverface", even though many of the Blackface amps were manufactured by CBS, and the many of the early Silverface amps were identical to their Blackface counterparts.
As a result, CBS amps with Blackface cosmetics were sold as "Pre CBS" by unknowing or unscrupulous sellers, and aftermarket parts (face plates, grill cloth, tolex covering) to convert "Silverface" amplifiers to "Blackface" cosmetics are selling quite well.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Of course, with this being listed on ArmsList it could be that he doesn't own the rifle and is a complete scam too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
This whole JM stamp craze is really a little misleading. The only time it matters is if first the serial number indicates the rifle was built around the period when Remington took over production. That's approximately 2009-2011. Otherwise a pre-2009 serial number indicates it was built by Marlin. A serial number starting with "MR" is a Remington built rifle. If you focus on the "JM Stamp" you could be misled by an unscrupulous seller who starts stamping Remington rifles.

Always ask for the first two digits of the serial number.

Smells like skunk. Two photos, one of the entire rifle, and another with what looks like a JM applied with a hardware store buzzy tip engraver.

not trying to hijack a thread or anything as Im still learning so wanted ask, as far as Serial numbers telling the tell,I've learned that any serial number starting with mr is remington made, but did marlin only stamp the tangs on the 1894's? or some side receivers as well?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I'm not an expert so this may not be all the locations but over the 100+ years the serial numbers have been on the upper tang, lower tang (I think), the side of the receiver, and probably elsewhere. The serial number is very obvious so don't worry. If you think you found it, you probably did.

Generally speaking the serial number will be on the receiver/tang area, not the barrel. The receiver is the legally regulated part but way back there were no rules so registration was more for the manufacturer's reference than tracking a firearm.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...ar-code-production-dates-ser-1-sheet-pdf.html

Reactions: Reicher

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
UK 1894 I have never seen such a stamp sideways like on your 1894. I'm not saying that yours is bogus but they usually are parallel with the barrel.

I owned a 2009 production Marlin that they started to use some type of an engraving for the serial number rather than a roll stamp. I will say that J M mark on the armslist rifle looks pretty cartoonish.

·
Registered
969 Posts
This JM stamp via dremel tool looks a lot like the one I asked about over under Cowboy Rifles (http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/cowboy-rifles/148644-jm-stamp.html) I have been comforted by the value of the serial number. The numerous responses and "odd" pictures of different JM stamps suggest that there was little consistency to it as a trademark. I agree that we are placing too much documentary value on the quality of the stamp and are ignoring the serial number as the defining element to authenticity.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I don't know much about the argument over new versus old manufacture, but I do know serial numbers are rarely "stamped" in the classic sense at present from most companies.

Nor does that look dremel tool too me. It looks typical electro etched like they apply serial numbers at present. Or how ever it's done.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
In the ad, he says;

If you'd like to see or know anything else in detail, just let me know.

So I emailed him this morning asking for the first part of the serial number. So far, no reply.

Armslist does have a flagging option. "Scam" and "overpriced" are some of the reasons you can choose from.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
JM stamp ONLY matters when Marlin did the transition from Connecticut to New York. My 1998 25MN does not have a JM stamp but we all know it was made in Connecticut. It is a good selling point.

James

·
Registered
20 Posts
UK 1894 I have never seen such a stamp sideways like on your 1894. I'm not saying that yours is bogus but they usually are parallel with the barrel.

I owned a 2009 production Marlin that they started to use some type of an engraving for the serial number rather than a roll stamp. I will say that J M mark on the armslist rifle looks pretty cartoonish.

SN is '94' on the tang, 2006 made .44 Mag 1894.
I also have a .357 Remington made 1894 (2012 or 2009, I forget) with the serial number on the receiver.

·
Registered
17,009 Posts
Take a close look at the OP's Marlin pic from Armslist. The front of the receiver is uneven and crudely finished. There's weird grind marks below that "JM" where the barrel meets the receiver,too. Something is fishy about that rifle. Made from rejected pieces?
My 2008 SS is finished well,and the serial # is 92xxxxxx on the side of the receiver,and my friend's SS is a 2009, serialed 91xxxxxx,also on the left side. His is JM proofed,and was made after the Rem takeover,and is very well assembled and finished,nicer than mine in some ways. I'm pretty sure that 2007 is the last tang serial numbered 1894SS.
So,it would be better to stay away from that listing,something is not right.

Rob

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
324 Posts
Doesn't smell skunk, more BS to me, and gun looks wrong, like an Afghan Martini. JMHO... I wouldn't pay that even if it was real JM...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts