Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anywhere that has 25-20 ammo in stock except for this box of 20. Is this ok?

image.jpg

If anyone has info on where to get 25-20 ammo online and in stock please let me know!

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
You can only load those two at a time in a tube magazine Marlin due to the spire tipped bullet point. One in the chamber and one in the tube magazine. NEVER load pointy tipped ammo end to end in a tube mag unless you have the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo with the rubbber tipped bullets. Are you going to shoot this ammo in a more modern Marlin made in the 1980s and 1990s? Or do you have an early smokeless powder model from the 1880s-1890s? I would make sure this new ammo is loaded to acceptable pressure limits if you have an early Marlin smokeless powder rifle. It should state on the box if that ammo can be safely fired in older post-blackpowder era Marlin rifle models.

Reactions: Texas94 and BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Lyman's 48th manual lists smokeless handloads with 86gr SP jacketed bullets and makes a special note that they are not intended for black powder firearms. Their loads are 1100-1700fps. I would refrain from using these in a BP firearm but they should be fine in a modern smokeless barrel loaded no more than one in chamber and one in the tube.

I tried a web search for them and only came up with custombrassandbullets.com. It would appear from some of the other search results that Jamison International is not offering much in the way of ammunition at this time but you might call them to check on the specs of the ammo you have. The logo on the website I listed and the box in the photo are the same.

Jeff

Reactions: Texas94 and Ret_Eng

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
COTW lists 25-20 Single Shot as a different cartridge,with different dimensions than a 25-20 WCF. Those cartridges pictured may not fit your,or any other,25-20 Marlin. I'm going to go do a little reading and post later. For now,as far as I know,that ammo you have pictured will not work.

Rob

Edit update--- 25-20 Single Shot is not the same as 25-20 WCF. It's an old cartridge from the 1880's,and no firearm has been so chambered since the 1920's. Commercial production by Rem and Win was suspended in the 1930's. See Cartridges of the World,3rd edition p. 74. These will definitely not fit in your Marlin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang it. Y'all are right. Thanks.

Anyone want to buy these now? Hah

My marlin is an early 1900s.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
A buddy of mine uses 25 20 in an old Winchester lever action.I was with him when he picked some up at Bass pro.I think it was expensive too.if I remember 50 rds of Remington were like $60.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A buddy of mine uses 25 20 in an old Winchester lever action.I was with him when he picked some up at Bass pro.I think it was expensive too.if I remember 50 rds of Remington were like $60.
You're right. I'm gunna go broke shooting this gun! :biggrin: I'll call Bass Pro Shop here and see if they have any.

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
You might have to bid for some ammo on GB. That how I got 200 rounds for my Marlin 32-20. I got everything for 175 bucks--much cheaper than the other online gun sale sites.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Good call Rob. Anyone who has even a semi serious interest in shooting any type of firearm should have a copy of Frank Barnes classic work. I wore out my first copy that I bought from Herters many years ago. I bought a new copy in 2000.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Yes, this is the right stuff. The "dash" WCF calibers were what they used to make a run of in the off-season to last the rest of the year, demand is pretty low for such. Since the Big O panic, there's been no off-season to produce it in, so stocks are pretty low. Factory list is pretty stiff, for the cost of a couple of boxes you could get a pretty good reloading outfit and not worry about ammo availability.

The other stuff was a single shot rifle caliber, used to be used for medium-range varminting in several classic single shot rifles and is the parent case for several wildcat varmint rounds. Has been dead since before WWII. If you've bought it, put it up for auction, it's rare stuff. Last empties I saw were made in Australia, were upwards of $3/case.

Stan S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts