Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a trail cam at the edge of my yard for many years but have never caught a bear or a bobcat on film. My Dad just brought back the SD card and I found this image. Not the easiest to interpret, I'd have preferred a better shot, but I see a short stubby tail and some spotting. Looks way too big to be a domestic cat, and I'm positive it is not a coyote (which is the only other wild animal of that size/shape in the area. What do you all say? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. They have been occasionally spotted in the area, but I've never had any luck. Looks like this is as close as I'll get. A bear got into my garbage can back in July and was only 100 feet from where the trail cam is...but no luck.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Hopefully next time I'll get a better angle. Took almost 4 years just to catch that one on camera.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try hanging a ball of yarn in front of the camera.
Last year I grew a huge Catnip plant and tried to make a concentrate of it using solvent. I spread it around the camera area, but it didn't seem to work.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Definitely a bobcat. All I have ever seen were spotted. 😂

Reactions: -69.55

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all who replied. AFAIK there are no Lynxes in southern Kentucky.

Reactions: reivertom

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
To get consistent pictures you need a case of batteries and a few laser pointers and hang them from the limbs in front of the camera. You will get better poses.

Reactions: -69.55

·
Registered
740 Posts
Was deer hunting in eastern Kentucky along a stream with lots of overhanging trees when I heard a rather loud splash. Half a minute later a soaking wet bobcat ran up the bank about 25 yards ahead of me with a squirrel in it's mouth. Used to see quite a few when I lived and hunted in eastern North Carolina. Lots of fun to watch them hunt.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
I've always thought bobcats were cool.
I've seen 'em climb to the very tippy top of a lodgepole pine just for the helluvit and to ride 'em in the breeze.
Never considered them varmints since they didn't mess with our chickens or other livestock. In fact we suspected they kept the rabbits in check which spared the vegetable patch.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts