Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a Marlin 336 ever been made. I would like pre safety 30/30 with walnut wood with checkering on it. Is there anything like that in a saddle edition or what do you call the one with the tie down ring on the side. A picture would be great. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
16,052 Posts
Marlin 336? heck most of Marlin is 336. You looking for a saddle ring Texan? Take a look at the top of the 336 forum the blue shaded section, in the you'll find Marlin Texans. At one time Marlin did not use letters for designations on the barrel such as they did in later years, Most walnut stocked 336 were also known as 336C although that letter didn't appear until later in life. Google up Marlin 336 and see what comes up, click on images up towards the top just under the search bar returns....you might find a pic of what you're after.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So what you are looking for is a pre-safety 336 with a checkered walnut stock and a saddle ring?

This thread will be helpful: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-years-manufacture/31126-list-336-model-differences.html

I believe the only pre-safety marlin with checkered stocks was the '48-'62 ADL model but it won't have a saddle ring.

Checkering started again in the mid 90s and by then all the models had safeties. You could buy one of those guns and install this: Beartooth Mercantile

Or you could get a pre-safety gun, buy a set of checkered stocks from numrich and drill/tap the receiver for a Marlin saddle ring.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info. This gives me a good idea what to look for and I like the idea of the saddle ring replacing the safety.

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
So, you take your saddle ring carbine and put some checkered walnut on it.

This is my 30TK with stocks from a 450Marlin.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there such a Marlin 336 ever been made. I would like pre safety 30/30 with walnut wood with checkering on it. Is there anything like that in a saddle edition or what do you call the one with the tie down ring on the side. A picture would be great. Thanks guys.
look for a Texan pre safety. very nice

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Easy to make. Numerich has lots of parts from time to time including new checkered wood. Safety/saddle ring already discussed. Stocks, trigger plates, levers, and such are generally interchangeable (within caliber on carriers). Find a doner and do a rebuild. I intend to have a Texan chopped to Marauder status when I get around to it. Or perhaps, just chop my Glenfield 30.

Reactions: Plumber
1 - 9 of 9 Posts