Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I noticed on a couple of sites that the price of 336s is climbing. Made me wonder if Marlin is getting its second wind or is gun control concerns having effects on all firearms.
Ive been thinking just the opposite lately. Ive seen some guns go cheap, didnt have any more gun money though. Now the 39A .22 is different, those prices have been stupid high. I think the price of 336`s is coming down with less demand for the old style rifles. I think its a generation thing, most people younger than me (which is most people) want black plastic tactical guns with tons of stuff screwed on them :dontknow:

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
39s and 336s in 32 & 35 seem to remain high on the average. There are exceptions with some scarce models, but 30/30s in 336 and
post 64 Win 94s can be found reasonable. All the classic guns us older guys grew up lusting after are no longer in great demand. All
us here on forum are interested in Levers or we wouldn't be here. We don't realize that the new generation has little interest in them.
I know deer hunting families that all used the same rifle. They were always looking to pick one up for one of the kids in family who
was becoming of hunting age. The kids would talk about nothing else but getting their own rifle just like Dads & Granpa's. Like has
already been said the new generation of gun buyers want Black Guns with all the bells & whistles

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two sites I noticed a change on are sportsmansguide.com and hinterlandoutfitters.com. I have not purchased firearms from either, ammo from one. I have been price checking since I bought mine in 2016. The 336W was down for awhile in 2017. It seems to be climbing in 2018. But, I imagine there are deals still to be had. Yes, younger folks may not be crazy about the lever action. But, I thinking about passing mines to my grandsons. Who knows, they may want to pass one on to their grandsons.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yep, we are all here because of our passion for them, but there is a lot going for them IMHO stepping back and looking at them. Very reasonable buy in cost for a center fire rifle with more than enough power to just about take anything with excellent follow up shot speed. Few moving parts that when reasonably maintained just keeps on clicking and clacking. The 30 WCF is about the cheapest hunting style ammo on the shelf in the rifle cartridge area for the no loaders. Does this understanding we have of a good thing, our above average taste and intellect compared to the rest of the herd make us bad men? I think not!!! And besides they just feel good.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm probably one of the youngest members on this site but I still love lever guns above all else. Tacticool seems to be more trendy now but in my opinion you can't beat the classics, and being that the general design has been around for around 150 years I don't think they're going anywhere. Manufacture demand might decrease though, since I only wanted to buy an older Marlin as my first and I'm probably not the only one thinking that way.
I think the tacticool fad might be further driven by the left's hatred for AR's so people are buying them more and more before (God forbid) something should pass through Congress about them. No one sold more AR's than #44. Thanks Obama :smokin:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Gosh I dunno. Auction prices seem to be getting higher for JM Marlins of all types, especially nice pistol caliber 1894’s.

Reactions: MidBigWest and GFK

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Doesn't matter, up or down. We made a little money in the stock market. Although we drew no cash, we owed Uncle another 2K. Then auto insurance is due, 2400. The van needs tires, 1K. On top of that, the garage refrigerator died. .??. No guns here for a few months while I build the checking account back up. Going to buy a little ammo though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ran across a 1976 336 in 30-30 last weekend,guy wanted $450 for it {because it was a pre-Chinese made Marlin}.I never said a word I just walked away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.