Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 39A Golden Mountie .22, #Z31XX, manufactured 1964. It hasn't been shot much, but the lever has an annoying amount of side-to-side play, and it also almost falls open of it's own weight. It just doesn't have that satisfying solidity of my other vintage lever actions. Is there a fix for that?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just forward of the lever on the bottom of the reciever is a screw, tighten it and see how it does. A bit of Side-to-side play is normal. Make sure your take down screw is tight also. If that don't work break it down and see if your spring is broken.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes, pop it apart and check the lever tention spring. Also make sure the lever screw itself is tight.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of those screws are tight. With the rifle apart, the lever is even more remarkably sloppy. It seems like it needs a washer between the lever and the frame or something.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You might try bending the spring a tad?, the lever on my 39M was that way when I bought it (the screw was loose), got a better deal on it because of the issue, but I had it fixed before my background check cleared.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I swapped springs with my older 39A, and it didn't make a difference. It seems to me that what would fix the problem is a thin shim around the boss on the "barrel side" of the receiver, the protrusion that fits into the lever. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
15,875 Posts
No thoughts...got pics?? You're asking for help, the advice you got is good, if that didn't help, all you're doing now is asking blind people to see your issue, pics help every time. Mr fixit

·
Super Moderator
15,875 Posts
great pics!!:congrats:
When you close the lever do you feel any resistance? I've got my 2004 apart right now, when I close the lever, holding the stock level the upper part of the lever that moves the bolt is about the 11:00 o'clock position, I feel resistance and then it cams over to close. Haven't really shot a lot through this one so it's still fairly new shape. Check the inside of the lever where the red arrow is in my pic ...worn, not there? This is where the cam over happens I believe and holds the lever up, also check the lever spring it too may be worn but not look like it. My thoughts. Mr fixit P3170002 (2).JPG P3170003 (2).JPG

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do feel it camming over, and it functions flawlessly. The lever's just so loose that it rattles when you tip the rifle left and right, and it bugs me. The more I think about it, the more I think it's simply loose tolerances, or tolerance stacking. I'm going to try to find a thin washer to fit as a shim.

·
Super Moderator
15,875 Posts
At the end of my lever I bet there has got to be 1/4" flip flop left to right, doesn't bother me though as that's what I'm use to with it. How about the tolerances ...the hole in the lever and the diameter of the lever screw? Could one be too big and the other a bit under? That would certainly give you the slop you're describing, although I don't know what those measurement would be, besides there has got to be some give. Try kicking around over at Rimfire Central.com, you might find an answer there. Mr fixit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts