Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere on the forum where someone knew a technician at Marlin and the technician thought they were going to bring back the 308. My question is have to talked to this technician lately about this? I am very interested in getting one of these if they make a comeback and aren't messed up. Thank You!!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I wouldn’t hold my breath... there are some good used 308me’s that can be bought around here from time to time. This is where I got mine from. An nope mine ain’t for sale!

welcome to the forum an good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Another somebody knew somebody that said they knew someone at remlin. It is a big deal now when one of us gets a new remington "anybody can build lever action rifles" rifle that isn't a kit gun that has to be made workable by "it only took me six hours and some files and stones" the purchser. And yes I used small case letters on purpose. That company stopped making the longest produced .22 rifle in the world because it was too much for them and it would take longer than five minutes to build. The thing is don't hold your breath on any caliber comebacks. I was surprised that the triple four is back but I don't know what the percentage is of functioning 444's.

·
Super Moderator
25,793 Posts
I read somewhere on the forum where someone knew a technician at Marlin and the technician thought they were going to bring back the 308. My question is have to talked to this technician lately about this? I am very interested in getting one of these if they make a comeback and aren't messed up. Thank You!!

Well, I assume you're referring to me as I've posted knowing a tech at Marlin to help folks get their remlins fixed.

I haven't spoke with him in a spell but can tell you the last chat we had, he stated they plan on reintroducing the 308ME. They said the same for many years regarding the 444, and eventually it happened. He also said since the 444 is done, next up is the 308ME.

So, time will tell how many years it will be before we actually see them available.

Until then, check GB, Guns International and Cabela's Library and here on MO for a JM Marlin. They do show up now and then but you need to be diligent and ready to snatch them as they go quick.

Jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I assume you're referring to me as I've posted knowing a tech at Marlin to help folks get their remlins fixed.

I haven't spoke with him in a spell but can tell you the last chat we had, he stated they plan on reintroducing the 308ME. They said the same for many years regarding the 444, and eventually it happened. He also said since the 444 is done, next up is the 308ME.

So, time will tell how many years it will be before we actually see them available.

Until then, check GB, Guns International and Cabela's Library and here on MO for a JM Marlin. They do show up now and then but you need to be diligent and ready to snatch them as they go quick.

Jack
Thank You!!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I would expect that there is more demand for the 338 ME

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I noticed a 338 MX went for 1000.00 on GB lately. That surprised me as I figured it would bring more. As for the 308MX if I wanted another one I would be looking for one with a serial number that started with 93xxx =2007 or 92xxx = 2008. There are numerous rifles for sale right now across the country. Just be prepared to pay in the 8-900.00 range. That seems to be the going price anymore.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I love my 308MXLR and regret selling my 308MX. I never really warmed up to the 338ME.

Reactions: Nodrama43

·
Super Moderator
25,793 Posts
I noticed a 338 MX went for 1000.00 on GB lately. That surprised me as I figured it would bring more. As for the 308MX if I wanted another one I would be looking for one with a serial number that started with 93xxx =2007 or 92xxx = 2008. There are numerous rifles for sale right now across the country. Just be prepared to pay in the 8-900.00 range. That seems to be the going price anymore.

Jim, I had that 338MX on my watch list and I figure, due to the timing of the coronovirus shut down and many folks out of work, it wouldn't bring what it should. So I wasn't all that surprised to see it go for $1000.

I think under normal market conditions, it would have brought a good 2 or 3 hundred more. I've seen 338MX's go for $1400 to $1500 and of course, the MXLR's have brought insane prices.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
23,569 Posts
Jim, I had that 338MX on my watch list and I figure, due to the timing of the coronovirus shut down and many folks out of work, it wouldn't bring what it should. So I wasn't all that surprised to see it go for $1000.

I think under normal market conditions, it would have brought a good 2 or 3 hundred more. I've seen 338MX's go for $1400 to $1500 and of course, the MXLR's have brought insane prices.

Jack
I agree. The economy downer caused by the China Virus epidemic has depressed prices on some items.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
I have a DOM2007 308MX that I've been back and forth about selling for a few years now (not currently for sale), problem is that I have all the equipment for reloading for it, that it will have to go to a reloader, which reduces the pool of buyers and raises the price reducing the pool even more. I thought it would become my go to Marlin for hunting, but my 38-55 seems to have takin that position.

It seems like the longer I hold onto it the more the value goes up, so my motivation to sell it isn't strong, and it shoots so damn well. This is why you don't see many of them for sale. My problem, besides safe space is I have too many calibers now, and reload for all of them. There are no other rifles other than Marlins that chamber 308 Marlin Express, so it's a commitment when you decide to buy one.

·
Super Moderator
23,490 Posts
I have a 308 MXLR.
I never shoot it, but i have all the stuff to re-load for it.
It is a fine rifle in every respect.
I plan to keep it and i will likely give it to my son.
The lever gun deal has pretty much ran it's coarse with me.
I have my doubts if the 308/338 will ever be made again.
But, the 444 came back so who knows?
I can't believe the crazy prices the MXLR's bring....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts