Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask becase a used one is available but some people like Chuck Hawks suggest the caliber is going obsolete.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
I have one and it ain't going nowhere without me . ;D

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
It's only obsolete if you aren't a reloader. Brass is easy to make out of 30-30's and you can cast bullets forever. ;)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I purchased loaded ammo and new empty brass and bullets for mine in just the last few months, wasn't cheap, but still available, if you neck up 30-30 brass limit loads to 38-55 levels.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
As long as the 38-55 has been around, I'm not to worried. There is still Winchester loaded ammo here, 375 and 38-55. I guess if you walk around where your head is checking yourself for internal hemorroids, ::) you might think it's going obsolete. :p Get one, you will see why it's gonna be around for many more years. DP

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a 444 owner and really like the idea of a straight case 375. Owners sure seem VERY loyal to this round. Is it cast friendly?

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Canuck Bob said:
I'm a 444 owner and really like the idea of a straight case 375. Owners sure seem VERY loyal to this round. Is it cast friendly?
I've never seen a straight-walled rifle (or pistol) round that wasn't cast friendly.

Lots of rounds have been pronounced dead over the years, some more than once. The 45/70 was considered fossilized back in the 50's and 60's to all those who didn't own one. The 30-30 has been buried a dozen times, and still comes bouncing back every decade or two as new generations of shooters discover its mild manners and surprising accuracy. As mentioned, the 35 Remington has had one foot in the grave for 50 years, yet steadfastly refuses to die.

Truly "dead" rounds are hard to find, there are lots of old guns out there, with diehard owners who refuse to let them gather dust. Ammunition manufacturers regularly resuscitate older rounds, knowing those old guns are still out there, and still capable of bringing home venison every fall.

Look at Hornady's current rifle ammo lineup........404 Jeffery, 450-400, 32 Winchester Spl, 257 Roberts, 9.3X74R, 405 Winchester, 303 British, 220 Swift, LOTS of rounds that have been pronounced dead by various pundits, usually right before they have a renaissance. :D

Now in the case of the 8mm Rast-Gasser............there's probably still someone out there who loves it. But I don't see the factories bringing that one back anytime soon. :p

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Aw, dad-gum it PJ! I's just gettin ready to order me one 'o them barrels from McMillen, now what am I gonna do? ;D DP

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
City Slicker said:
It's only obsolete if you aren't a reloader. Brass is easy to make out of 30-30's and you can cast bullets forever. ;)
+1. I have not purchased the first piece of factory ammo for the one I have. It has been all reloads and most of that has been cast (my own) bullets.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This started because I stumbled on a used M375 up here while looking for a 32 Special. I'm a reloader, too cheap not to be, and just started casting but my rifles are all cast friendly and got a rim like they should have, 32-20, 444, 303Brit.

The original plan was to put a carbine between 32-20 and 444. Now maybe put a 375 in the safe and stay with two.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Well a .375 will help you through until you can find a .32 Special. ;D

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is a timely question as I just stumbled across an NIB .375 Marlin for $250.00. I'm not sure of the date of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Marc S said:
This is a timely question as I just stumbled across an NIB .375 Marlin for $250.00. I'm not sure of the date of manufacture.
You DID already buy it, right? If not, be there when they open in the morning. It'll be gone pretty fast. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Marc S said:
I would have the money out of my pocket soooo fast on that one!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Marc S said:
Marc S If the 275 belongs to an elderly lady trying to sell her diseased husbands guns for money, or an elderly man trying to sell his guns off for money while he can, I would explain to them that the rifle is worth more and give them a chance to get more money out of the sale. Even if you had to borrow the money to pay them.

If it were a gun dealer, I would make one try at getting the price lower. ;) Do not leave the shop with out the rifle if he doesn’t go down on the price.

Either way that rifle would be in my safe at the end of the day. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I hope it doesn't become obsolete. I just loaded up some ammo for my 375 that I bought in April. Been busy with my XLR & SC in 35 Rem. so now it's time to shoot the 375. Marc S. that is a great deal on the 375, you should already have it in your collection. Besides they look nice.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I paid $600 for mine NIB and felt I got a good deal last year. JC Penny tag on it from 1980 was $149.95. Try to find a JC Penny store that sells guns now. Come to think of it, just try to find a JC Penny store at all. :-\ DP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nightfisher said:
Marc S If the 275 belongs to an elderly lady trying to sell her diseased husbands guns for money, or an elderly man trying to sell his guns off for money while he can, I would explain to them that the rifle is worth more and give them a chance to get more money out of the sale. Even if you had to borrow the money to pay them.

If it were a gun dealer, I would make one try at getting the price lower. ;) Do not leave the shop with out the rifle if he doesn’t go down on the price.

Either way that rifle would be in my safe at the end of the day. ;D
I agree with you 100%. I have purchased guns from ederly women and paid them much more than they were asking because that is the right thing to do. A few years ago, I bought two NIB High Standard pistols from a lady who's husband had died. She was asking $200.00 for both, I knew nothing about these pistols. However, I figured for $200.00, how could I go wrong so I paid her. I went home and found out that they were worth between $1200.00 and $1800.00 for the pair. I went back the next day and gave her $1,000.00.

However, this rifle is owned by a friend and his "new Liberal wife" wants all of his guns out of the house. He is desperate to get rid of them. I offered him a price for the entire lot. This puts my cost on the Marlin around $250.00. I will be picking the weapons up tomorrow. The serial number starts with 20. I understand that 1980 is the first year. It will be a nice addition to my Marlin collection.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts