Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading in the rant section about SBL's. You guys almost scared me away ;D

I noticed there are several SBL's on gunbroker now. I'm located one for a decent price at a small FFL who says he ordered a year ago and got two in recently. I was about to pull the trigger on buying, but called the local Gander Mountain first. They got an SBL in today.

Two shipments doesn't necessarily make a trend, but I'm just wondering if you guys are seeing availability loosening up? If they've revved up production I'd be tempted to wait a month or two and see if prices ease a bit.

I'm heading out the Gander Mountain in a few minutes to see it. I've never seen an SBL, so it'd be nice to handle one before ordering. I don't think they'll come close enough on price to get it their though. They're asking 899. To match the online deal (adjusting for shipping/transfer fee and their tax), they'd need to be 776.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Just got one from Cablea's that is a JM proof mark,,, what the guy told me was it was a gun that was used at exhibitions to show off the new models. It is a very well put together and no "gun show" handling marks like you would expect to see.

I see several other Cabela's had them in also..... used my earned points and get it for under $500 .. 8)

·
Registered
40 Posts
MuleCrazy said:
Just got one from Cablea's that is a JM proof mark,,, what the guy told me was it was a gun that was used at exhibitions to show off the new models. It is a very well put together and no "gun show" handling marks like you would expect to see.

I see several other Cabela's had them in also..... used my earned points and get it for under $500 .. 8)
If it says rem is it a bad gun?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
you really have to look it over good. I ordered one in february and it came in the middle of May. I did a review of it in the 45/70 section. It seemed all good at first but then I noticed the misalligned barrel. I sent it back to the plant in Ilion and it has been there for 2 weeks as of today. It has been logged in but hasn't made it to a gunsmith yet. That one was stamped REP. I sent my 336 BL back at the same time for the same reason. That one was stamped JM. I was told by remington back in march that the SBL would start shipping in june which they did. Don't order one sight unseen because it won't be what you want. check the rant section for all the things to look out for and make sure you check the sight allignment. Good Luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skmarsh77 said:
I was told by remington back in march that the SBL would start shipping in june which they did.
Were they talking about just replacements for the people waiting? Or were they telling you they would start shipping in volume to distributors?

The one at Gander Mountain looked mostly ok, except I could probably fit 5 or 6 $1 bills between the stock & receiver on one side.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They were talking about new guns for delivery to distributors. At the time I was waiting for mine to come in and wanted to know when I could expect it. If you do order one online don't go the gunbroker route. All the guns on there are insanely overpriced. Try Buds or something like that. you can put yourself on their waiting list and they will email you when they become available. The way I looked at it was I could wait for the perfect rifle or order one and if it came in messed up send it back and make them fix it. I chose the later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm already on Bud's waiting list for an SBL.

On another gun, I've been on their list over a year and haven't heard a word, so didn't know what the chances were of them getting them again.

Does marlin cover return shipping if you get firm?

Thanks for the info.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yes but when you call them they say to send it back to the factory in New York but they don't offer the shipping you have to ask for it. I will say that the shipping labels for both my guns showed up in less than a week. Don't send it back in the original box if you plan on keeping it cause they may not send it back in it.You can track the progress online. Mine has been there 2 weeks without anything being done yet. They say my SBL was put on the high priority list I think its cause its one of the new just sent out rifles which were supposed to be free of problems So I think they don't want any more bad press. we'll see turn around is suppose to be 4-6 weeks for standard repairs and faster for priority or so they say. I have heard some good things about the repaired guns coming back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts