Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks fellas ! Yes it is SS. And she fired it tonight and was overjoyed with it. The trigger is the sweetest of all my guns.and she has nearly no recoil. I placed 3 rounds of Hornady factory ammo in a 3 inch group at 200 yards.

I am hearing poor commentary regarding the performance of the Hornady bullets on game. I'm told that Remington corelokts are better.

I plan to load my own ammo. Deer rifle . Any advise ?

Sadly, my lovely wife has become quite fond of her, and I may be shopping for another to call my own !

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Well there it is a ported 308MXLR. Makes it unique and certainly worth the money you paid.

I have taken whitetails with both the FTX and 170gr RNCL (Remington 30-30) bullets pushed out of my 308MX with LVR & RL15.
I will say that the 30-30 bullets caused less meat loss. The FTX can come apart if they hit large bone such as the shoulder.

Strangely enough, the 170gr RNCL is extremely accurate in my rifle. I have shot some of my best 200 yard groups with that bullet.

If my wife became even remotely interested in my 308MX, I'd give it to her and buy another one. You might even require a 338? Alas good ones are difficult to find.

Thanks for the picks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Seems I lucked out on both accounts ! She digs worms, skins my *****, changes the oil in the tractor,,,,then off to the surg center to do a hip replacement ! She asks for nothing, so if' she takes my new Marlin, so it be ! And I really would like a 338.

With What powder are you pushing that 170 RNCL.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Here's the line from my reloading records file:
170gr Rem RN Core-Lokt
40.0 gr RL15
CCI 200

The powder is Alliant Reloder 15, if you find some give me a heads up.
Seems that Alliant had a fire at the plant that makes RL15, over in Sweden I think and it has been scarse.

Hodgdon LeverEvolution (LVR) is readily available. I spotted several 1lb canisters today at Cabelas.

·
Super Moderator
17,587 Posts
Hornady 160Gr Is Kind Of Frangible. 140Gr Is Better And Is My Prefered Hunting Round. Remington Round Is Flatnosed And Suseptible To Tumbling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I own several guns, but I have never taken any of them to bed......until now. This gun shoots as well as she looks. I hunkered down in good shooting conditions. I am consistently shooting sub moa out to 300 with factory Hornady 160 gn FTX.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I got a box of Remington 150 round nose. Out to 150 yards they are acceptably accurate, at 200 they go banannas. The Hornady 160 FTx 160's are astonishingly accurate out to 300. If I hand load, The Hornady 140 grains are hard to find for 308. The 3030 bullets are available. Any thoughts ?

Thanks again, Lou.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
As I understand it, the 160 gr FTX's for the 30-30 have a slightly different shape than the ones designed for the 308MX. The crimping groove is also in a different location, and they are more lightly constructed to expand at the lower velocities of the 30-30 round. As far as any other bullet, I really couldn't say for sure.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts