Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking for a Marlin Gun,,, 338 caliber or better. I settled for 308' but damn ! It was a genuine Marlin. I could'nt do no better.

Serial number 9221***. Ported with a Nikon 3 x9x40. What should I have paid?

Thanks, Lou.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have never seen a 338 ported. Look for the "JM" stamped on the barrel, right in front of the receiver.

·
Super Moderator
17,452 Posts
Serial numbers starting with 92 are 2008 models... Pre-Remington. Should have JM stamp on the left side of the barrel. Also should not have the "droop". The .308MX didn't come ported so someone spent a couple of dollars on yours. I've never really had a big recoil climb issue so I don't know why it was ported...

I gave 450.00 for mine about a year ago, unported and no scope. But the guy owed me a favor. I probably should have paid around 600.00...

Welcome aboard from Alabama...

·
Administrator
29,022 Posts
+1 on Scorpiusb.

Welcome to Marlin Owners.

I concur with a price around $600 and the 308 has mild recoil so porting the barrel seems a tad odd to me but to each their own.

And yes, we do like pictures here on MO. The more the better.

Enjoy your new to you Marlin they're a great caliber, I like mine.

Jack

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
That $600 price is long gone........

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Banned
373 Posts
Well, it is and it isn't. Yes, it was made in North Haven at the Marlin plant based on the serial number, but in reality Remington purchased Marlin in December of 2007, so I would say it is not pre- Remington, but more appropriate it's Pre- Ilion.

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Well, it is and it isn't. Yes, it was made in North Haven at the Marlin plant based on the serial number, but in reality Remington purchased Marlin in December of 2007, so I would say it is not pre- Remington, but more appropriate it's Pre- Ilion.

Karatoula,

Thats WRONG!..............

If it was made in North Haven,in 2008, it is PRE-Remington..........

The Clowns, and Talking Heads from Ilion NY didn't start changing things until 2009.........If its a 2008 gun, it was built to North Haven standards.
The only exception I can think of is, the carrier may not be heat treated....I don't recall when the H-T was deleted from the process.

Tom...

·
Banned
373 Posts
Karatoula,

Thats WRONG!..............

If it was made in North Haven,in 2008, it is PRE-Remington..........

The Clowns, and Talking Heads from Ilion NY didn't start changing things until 2009.........If its a 2008 gun, it was built to North Haven standards.
The only exception I can think of is, the carrier may not be heat treated....I don't recall when the H-T was deleted from the process.

Tom...
Remington owned Marlin in 2008, if the gun was made in 2008 how can it be pre-Remington?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I sold one on GB a few months ago and it brought 650.00.

·
Super Moderator
17,452 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Remington owned Marlin in 2008, if the gun was made in 2008 how can it be pre-Remington?
Well, ........I was associated with Marlin at the time.... I retired out, when I seperated from the company.

I was a Marlin Mfg Engineer, supporting both the 336/1895 and the 1894 product lines, in addition to the Barrel Department.

I was responsible for Tools, Gages and Processes across those product lines.

Remington bought Marlin in early (jan) of 2008, and they left things running as they were, until 2009.................

We had to make some changes in reporting (to remington) and other things, in 2008. We also had to attend a Lot more meetings, and do a lot of presentations, that became known as "Dog & Pony Shows"........ but the process'es and methods of manufacturing, and inspections were not changed at that time.

I would consider any Marlin rifle wearing a JM Proof stamp to be PRE Remington..........

Yes, there were some JM proofed rifles made in Remington designed Assembly Cells, but that didn't start until 2009, and those rifles were STILL inspected to Marlin North Haven standards, before they went out the door.

There were also a number of rifles made in Ilion, using parts manufactured in North Haven.........Those rifles, I'd consider to be Remingtons, as the methods of assembly and Inspection were not carried over from North Haven...Those rifles wear a REM proof stamp, and a rem type S/N.

I realize the Marlin North Haven timelines get a little skewed over time, but the JM Proof Stamp is the governing factor.. It was only used in North Haven CT.

The JM Proof Stamping Tool never made it to Ilion, and if it did, they didn't recognize it for what it was, and trashed it!

But then, they (remington) told us "they knew everything they needed to know, about building lever guns", anyway........

Best regards, to another Marlin shooter.

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW ! You guys are all over this stuff ! Thanks! The gun just arrived, and she is the prettiest thing I ever saw that I didn't propose to. I have not fired her yet. Tomorrow. She has the JM and North Haven markings. The previous gentleman had it ported to accommodate his wife of small frame.

I get the impression that I am amongst a Marlin cult mentality here !

The gun is in my safe. Why then, can anyone answer, am I still looking at the auctions to buy another ?

I think Ive developed a new " dependency" issue.....

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
There were also a number of rifles made in Ilion, using parts manufactured in North Haven.........Those rifles, I'd consider to be Remingtons, as the methods of assembly and Inspection were not carried over from North Haven...Those rifles wear a REM proof stamp, and a rem type S/N.

I realize the Marlin North Haven timelines get a little skewed over time, but the JM Proof Stamp is the governing factor.. It was only used in North Haven CT.

Tom
I believe Remington did a run of 338s in late 2010 or early 2011. My 338MX was delivered to my LGS in Feb 2011 with a 91xxxxx serial number and a REP proof barrel.
I handle 3 or 4 of these 338MXs before finding one that was without the dreaded droop. Beside the clearly evident barrel mis-alignment, there were other significant quality issues with all of these lever-guns. I'm just happy mine was aligned straight!

Now where are those pictures of a ported 308MX?

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
I believe Remington did a run of 338s in late 2010 or early 2011. My 338MX was delivered to my LGS in Feb 2011 with a 91xxxxx serial number and a REP proof barrel.
I handle 3 or 4 of these 338MXs before finding one that was without the dreaded droop. Beside the clearly evident barrel mis-alignment, there were other significant quality issues with all of these lever-guns. I'm just happy mine was aligned straight!

Now where are those pictures of a ported 308MX?
Your rifle is one made from North Haven parts,assembled and proofed in Ilion............

Tom

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts