Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And will it adversely affect my reloads?

Why you ask? Well, I've had this tub of Mink Oil sitting near the loading bench for several years and I thought maybe it would be better than Lee Lube.
I used it for about 20rnds and it works great as a resizing lube. The problem is with Lee Lube, which is inert, I never bother to clean it up after resizing other than wiping the case off. I noticed, on the second round, thank God, that some powder granules were sticking to the inside of the neck.

So do I pull the bullets off the 2 rounds I've already loaded. And what do i do with the other 18 that are already primed?

Thanks for your help,
-chris

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so it is animal fat. Makes you wonder how many minks gave their lives just to waterproof my hunting boots ::)

I guess I'll just run a brush down the necks a few times and be done with it.

-chris

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
"Mink oil" has absolutely nothing in common with the animal it's named after assuming it's the stuff you buy in the store. It certainly doesn't come from minks, that's for sure!

Wipe all oil and grease from the cartridge before firing, especially from high pressure rifle rounds. Keep oil and grease away from primers, and don't handle ammo with greasy fingers. Especially when priming.

Wipe off all oil from the case when hand priming.

If you used Mink Oil on the inside of the neck, bad idea. Powder sticks to it, as you've found. Never use a non drying lubricant on the case neck unless you're prepared to tediously wipe it out before powdering the case.

Clean inside the case necks of the ones you've primed with a Q tip sprayed with carb or brake cleaner. Wipe off the outside of the case.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mink oil is neither mink nor oil; it's a soft wax.

Small kernals of powder (and sand and grass seeds) will stick to anything sticky, including soap. That doesn't mean it's harmful to the powder.

·
Registered
159 Posts
OK, so it's neither mink nor oil, so what is it? (Don't matter much to me 'cause I use it almost exclusively for sizing my .223 brass)

Edit; Wikipedia says it's oil derived from mink fat. Wikipedia also mentions a substitute oil made from macadamia nuts. Google doesn't say anything about content. Googled MSDS and no info...

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Can't say for sure but being as I make my own leather dressing that is very similar to mink oil, I'd speculate that it is a blend of animal fat (probably beef tallow), wax (probably bees wax but maybe paraffin or a blend of the two) and some actual oil to adjust the stiffness and maybe a little lanolin.

But that's just a guess.

I know oil will deactivate primers and adversely effect powder but I don't know if it matters whether it's animal fat, vegetable oil or petroleum oil. I'd expect that any of the three would work about the same.

Then again, there are lots of petroleum/animal fat/wax/lanolin blend boolit lubes out there and they don't seem to be an issue.

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess I'm going to find out.

I had loaded 2 rounds before the Oh shoot moment. Then brushed them out and loaded 3 more before reading 35Rem's post. They are "starting" loads and fully expect this load to land towards the max. It is the 308ME 160gr FTX over LVR.

I will get out the carb cleaner and Q-tips for the rest and of course they will all be wiped down with alcohol before shooting.

-chris

·
Registered
882 Posts
Don't worry too much about powder sticking to Lee lube.
If it bothers you, after you size the cases, wash them in water with a little liquid dishwasher soap,
let them soak, then rinse in clear water. Dry them on a paper towel in the sun for a couple of hours.
M.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"Don't worry too much about powder sticking to Lee lube."

Lee's case lube and all others that are water soluable are soaps; harmless. So are the waxes. "Mink Oil" leather boot treatment is mostly wax with a very small amount of oil to soften it enough to spread.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I stopped using Lee a long time ago. I use Hornady One Shot with great success. The only cleaning of lube I perform now is wiping the loaded rounds down when placing in boxes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts