Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was perusing the company website and it's still listed there, but I can't one anywhere in person. Even the "Gallery of Guns" at Davidson's lists it as "not currently a valid item number in our system." ??? I want a tube fed 22 mag and figured the 983 was the way to go. Did Marlin ever make a model 39 or similar lever gun in 22 Mag?

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
Below is from another post, but the answer is a magnum exists, it's not a 983 anymore.

"Curiosity got me on the 22's.. out of the following:
XT-22 has 15 rifles, 11 plastic and 2 hardwood, 1 laminate and 1 walnut.
XT-17 showed 9 rifles, 3 plastic, 2 hardwood, and 4 laminate
XT-22Y shows 4 rifles, 2 hardwood and 2 plastic.
That's 28 .22 caliber rifles and only 1 is Walnut! It's a .22 WMR, XT-22MTW...whatever that means. I say lets take a simple concept and screw it up, while we're at it throw in some funny impressive names ...hell, that'll sell them plastic jobbies!"

Scroll down to the bottom and click on the tab. Mr fixit
http://marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Short answer...No.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
As Mr. Fixit pointed out, the Marlin rimfire line was pretty much gutted. All the old bolt action model designators were dropped and the rifles were re-worked to one degree or another with all of them having a horrible looking new "safety trigger" or whatever they are calling it.

Marlin did make lever action .22WMR's. There was the 1894M and the 57M Levermatic. There might have been others but I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
As Erik said, the 57M was one of the 22 mag lever guns Marlin made. I have one and like it pretty well.

As for the "new" line of rimfires that Marlin came out with, I think most are hideous looking. I hate those plastic stocks. I have a Savage 93 with the plastic stock that I bought for a very cheap price. I have been looking for a walnut or birch stock for it, but can't seem to find one.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I put an order in at the local GS for a 983, what FINALLY came around after a YEAR of waiting because of various snafus was a 983T. I figured that's what I was going to end up with, so was able to order a walnut stock from Marlin about a month after I placed the order for the 983t. BIG difference in feel between the two stocks, love the walnut one. Currently it has a Leupold 2x7RF scope, J&P striker spring set and a chrome RifleBasix trigger mounted in the walnut stock. ;D
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*sigh* THAT is not the answer I wanted, guys. I've got boat loads of classic 22lr's hogging up real estate in the safe, but sure, as soon as I want to pick up a .22 Mag the only one that turns my head has been given the Remington treatment. I guess I'll just have to keep a look out for a used one in great (i hope) condition. The old ones are more fun anyway.

I appreciate all the knowledgeable and timely replies I received on this. I've been lurking on this forum for a few years and finally registered back in Dec. after deciding that y'all are a group of guys I can relate to. You keep it fun and civil and help each other out when you can. No dumb egos on here that I've noticed. It's a refreshing change from most of the other forums, especially the black guns forums, hooooo boy, do they have some Rambos on there! I don't understand why the other forums don't understand that guns are FUN and so should talking about them with like minded folks! I never got into that whole, "my internet weenie is bigger than your internet weenie" type of thing. Seems kinda sad and pointless to me. Isn't this all supposed to be about fun? Glad I found you guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll start looking around for a used 783, 883, or 983 in the local shops. I want to stick w/ a tube fed design as the detachable mags just ain't my bag on a .22. I appreciate all the sage advice, gentlemen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Halwg- I've been perusing the 57m you mentioned (thanks for the pics!) and think I'll include that in my wish list as well. That lil short stroke is handsome! How does yours shoot?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The gun pusher just down the road from me has a brand new "JM" stamped 983 on the shelf. They've had it for quite some time. I may have to go lay that sucker away. I've been talking about getting one for quite some time, now.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Halwg said:
As Erik said, the 57M was one of the 22 mag lever guns Marlin made. I have one and like it pretty well.

As for the "new" line of rimfires that Marlin came out with, I think most are hideous looking. I hate those plastic stocks. I have a Savage 93 with the plastic stock that I bought for a very cheap price. I have been looking for a walnut or birch stock for it, but can't seem to find one.
You know this is very odd and/or a coincidence because today a friend of mine/ours needed some 22WMR ammunition to test a rifle and I am pretty sure it was a MARLIN 57 Magnum for sale. I did not see it or shoot it because I was waiting on a call about my oak floors. I asked him if the Marlin for sale was a bolt because the model sounded like something that I 'heard or read' and he said it was a LEVER action. So I did not get a chance to call him at the store, later on, to see if the guy who was interested in it BOUGHT this model or not. He wanted to see how it shot and my friend stopped over on his way to the range to TEST shoot it for the customer.

Small world, eh? When the model kind of rings a bell in your head when you only know certain models to begin with. Ding, ding and a ding in my head! :)

MO & S has one for sale IF it did not sell yet - Missoula, Montana. I have no clue what the price is or what condition the rifle is in... I have NOT seen it and would not know the book value of it off hand anyway! Ask for Dave if anyone is interested and, NO, I have no financial interest in their store and I am not related to them.

Take care.

Catherine

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Mofo said:
*sigh* THAT is not the answer I wanted, guys. I've got boat loads of classic 22lr's hogging up real estate in the safe, but sure, as soon as I want to pick up a .22 Mag the only one that turns my head has been given the Remington treatment. I guess I'll just have to keep a look out for a used one in great (i hope) condition. The old ones are more fun anyway.

I appreciate all the knowledgeable and timely replies I received on this. I've been lurking on this forum for a few years and finally registered back in Dec. after deciding that y'all are a group of guys I can relate to. You keep it fun and civil and help each other out when you can. No dumb egos on here that I've noticed. It's a refreshing change from most of the other forums, especially the black guns forums, hooooo boy, do they have some Rambos on there! I don't understand why the other forums don't understand that guns are FUN and so should talking about them with like minded folks! I never got into that whole, "my internet weenie is bigger than your internet weenie" type of thing. Seems kinda sad and pointless to me. Isn't this all supposed to be about fun? Glad I found you guys!
Hello,

READ what I just posted above if you are looking for something in a WMR and maybe this may interest you. I have NOT seen it and I do NOT know if it sold yet or not.

It is @ my local gun store or was this afternoon. IF you need anymore information... just ask. Best wishes on your hunt.

Added:

http://montanaordnance.com/
Dave went to the range to shoot it. He runs the store with his brother, Bruce. They are friends of ours but DAVE is the man who shot it this afternoon.

Catherine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again, guys (and gals). I really appreciate all the timely responses. What a great forum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my local mom and pop shop looking out for an xt 22mtw for me. We'll see what this new fangled Reminton trigger doohickey is all about. I'll decide when I see it in person. I just can't settle for a plastic stock. I need that walnut. If the MTW doesn't do it for me, I'll look for a 57 on the auction sites. Thanks again for all the advice, guys (and gals). Mucho appreciated.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Mofo said:
Got my local mom and pop shop looking out for an xt 22mtw for me. We'll see what this new fangled Reminton trigger doohickey is all about. I'll decide when I see it in person. I just can't settle for a plastic stock. I need that walnut. If the MTW doesn't do it for me, I'll look for a 57 on the auction sites. Thanks again for all the advice, guys (and gals). Mucho appreciated.

Let us know your thoughts on it when you find one. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
That remington trigger dohickey is the same profire system that is on the X series (and has been on there since before rem).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts