Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSC00986.JPG
.461"-405gr, w/27gr-37gr IMR4198, Federal Lrg Magnum primers, for evaluation loads; i.e. best accuracy/grouping w/no leading. Mon-Tues start chasing paper plates @ 100yd. Yup, I'm using glass; a Vortex Crossfire, CF2-31031, 6-18 x 44 AO, V-Plex scope to keep this shooter out of the equation as much as practical.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
Yes! It is OK and recommended. You must consider the cost of the voracious appetite for powder and lead your Dillon requires for such a rewarding endeavor! the difference between that and too much ice cream is for practicality, indecernable. Cheers, AC

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Nice way to load.:top:

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Registered
825 Posts
The proof will be in the targets. Your velocities will range from approximately 1250fps @ 27.0g to 1700fps @ 37g IMR 4198. I would use orange dots in the center of the plates to get a consistent point of aim and try to let the barrel cool the same amount of time between shots. I shoot strings of 3 shots 5 minutes apart. Then wait 15 minutes and shoot another string. This winter go out and re-shoot the same loads in the coldest temps of January/February to see how temp affects your load. Please let us know the results of your testing.

Reactions: Walstr and HugoBoss

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Yes! It is OK and recommended. You must consider the cost of the voracious appetite for powder and lead your Dillon requires for such a rewarding endeavor! the difference between that and too much ice cream is for practicality, indecernable. Cheers, AC
I was gonna say a progressive cranks out more than most people can shoot out of those things.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have to load them on my RL550B!, I'd never here the end of it if I had to load them on a single stage!, I buy Trailboss in the 5# jug and just brought home three boxes of Oregon Trail boolits!
She shoots her 1886 more than any of the 22 rifles!:shot:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
It should work just fine. I can see a lot of range time in your future. But like John Barrett said, "Why the use of magnum primers?" You shouldn't need magnum primers to make her go "bang". :top:

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm curious about your load too. I use H4198 & std. primers get great accuracy.
I'd think any quality loading press (Dillon is one of the best) would load quality ammo.
The 550 would crank out ammo quickly. Heck lightly loaded the .45-70 is a dream to shoot.
Thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sure, why not? Dillon is a heck of a machine, it won't give you match ammo loads but will be as close as you can get to it before going to a single stage or turrent press. If nothing else, you will be getting more consistent loads compared to factory ammunition.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Sure, why not? Dillon is a heck of a machine, it won't give you match ammo loads but will be as close as you can get to it before going to a single stage or turrent press. If nothing else, you will be getting more consistent loads compared to factory ammunition.
It may not give rifle ammo match quality loads, I don't know. I do know a Dillon Square Deal will give .45ACP match quality loads for bullseye pistol shooting. I've done it & the Dillon turned out great ammo. As with any loading system check your powder measure setting & bullet seating depth every once & awhile.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It may not give rifle ammo match quality loads, I don't know. I do know a Dillon Square Deal will give .45ACP match quality loads for bullseye pistol shooting. I've done it & the Dillon turned out great ammo. As with any loading system check your powder measure setting & bullet seating depth every once & awhile.
They are damn good machines, damn good and as with anything, what you put into them, you get out of them. Straight walled cartridges are a bit more forgiving than bottle necked cartridges also.

It may be in the nature of beast as far as what shooting you do as well. Anyone I've talked to or read that does long range rifle shooting either runs their progressive presses like a single stage or uses a single stage or turrent press because every fine nit picky detail can mean the difference in placing in a match or not. A lot has to do with the shooter as well since everyone has their good, in between, and bad days too.

For my purposes and most anyone else, a good progressive press will put out ammunition better than factory and better than what most people can shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Walster, where did you go? I sure like the looks of your bullet.
Give us some details please?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I've used my Dillon with two loads that number over 10,000 easily. The kids load, which was 1150fps was 13gr. of Unique with a 405gr. laser cast. The same bullet with 25gr. of 2400 would be a good hunting load (and is). Mine has killed many a hog. That gives about 1450fps in a guide gun and just under 1500 in the 22 inch. Some folks want a gr. or two less.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
it depends on whether you have a springfield trapdoor or a Gatling. For a trapdoor, you could get by with a lee loader, a Gatling would need a powered progressive loader. anything else in between is up to your bank account.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Walster, are you still here? Let us know how it's going.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
About 15 years ago I loaded 45/70 on my 550b. Don't recall the recipe, but with a Williams peep it shot 3 shot cloverleafs at 100 yards. Twas a Guide Gun too. I kinda miss that one........

Reactions: Frank V
1 - 19 of 19 Posts