Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Marlin lever rifles and my model 60 .22 rifle. Marlin was a great firearms company. What made Marlin great, what makes any company great are it's people. Sadly, that company is gone. All that's left of that company is the company name and brand, the people who made Marlin a great company have been let go.

I've been on a bit of a tear lately writing my opinion of Remlins awful production of Marlin lever guns. My career has been spent in manufacturing as a machinist and a manufacturing engineer. I am shocked that any company would knowingly let defective products be released to distributors, knowing what that does to customer opinion and brand image. Mismatched parts, barrel droop, extra dovetails, etc.. I wouldn't believe these story's had I not read them here. Shame on Remington and Cerberus. Furthermore, I'm not of the opinion 'they will make it right'. If that were the case, then why would they let this crap leave the factory in the first place?

Some of the responses to my rants on this forum are along the lines of 'if you can't say anything nice, then shut up, your opinion is not wanted here'. To that I say nobody is served by ignoring the truth and pretending all is well. These responses leave me wondering if this forum is for Marlin owners, or if this forum is a PR site for Cerberus where they can do damage control....

That's the short version of my opinion and some of my concerns. What I would be interested to learn is, are the problems that have been attributed to Marlins lever rifles limited to the lever action rifles? Is anyone having similar issues with other types of firearms that Marlin made and sold before being acquired by Cerberus? Firearm models now being manufactured in Remingtons factory?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well the Marlin Jam has been an issue for while but it's a super easy fix.. other than that we never heard much except from the people that expected 2000 dollar quality and accuracy from them although the first 308me's out preformed any current Rem factory bolt in my opinion ..

All I will say is that Reminton people have taken an intrest .. and they do read this site.. if all the issues were fixed today would take months for them to surface on the scene .. so we shall see ..

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
In this age when word of mouth travels at the speed of light through fiber optic lines, it is really bad for the name reputation to send out guns in the shape the new Marlins have been in. It is so easy to tear down what took decades to build. I think if I were in charge and really wanted to do damage control in order to try to restore confidence, I would make an announcement and I would freeze production until the problems were sorted out. I would then announce a recall of all Marlins made in NY and spend the time that production was halted fixing those guns. This would be probably frightfully expensive, but the alternative is to go along, continuing to destroy the Marlin reputation until sales fall flat. Thats why its called damage control, it isn't cheap to fix these things. It is like the saying goes, there is never enough time or money to do things right but always enough of both to do them over.

·
Registered
846 Posts
RickyB, It's funny You said that! I think if the Japs would have bought Marlin we wouldn't be Bitching about Quality we would be Bitching forum companies taking over. I almost wish the Japs would have bought marlin, there building the new 94 winchesters now! How is awesome, they build the actions for the Weatherby Vanguards and these gun aren't cheap but at least there is quality! Dennis

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think I know what you mean there, Sty. 'Tis a shame to watch American born, bred and built companies disappearing, down sizing and basically being diluted & dissolved into shadows of their former selves. Nut global economics is not my strong point-----though I do strive to keep my own little invention made here, with 98% U.S made parts and labor. But I digest.

Regardless, I joined this forum because the last rifle I owned was twenty+ years ago, a Marlin b/action .22wmr. Had an absolute blast with that thing but eventually ended up giving it away to the police chief in the little Baja beach town where my Dad retired to (and no, you don't wanna know :lol: ). But I got bit again by the gun-bug last month and just ordered a low budget 925RM-------just to slowly get back into the swing of things. And I'm hoping that she'll be at least a halfway decent, halfway well constructed rifle when I finally get my paws on her-----but reading all these threads leaves me a bit trepid. Oh well, it's only two bills so I shouldn't be expecting H&K quality, yes?.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
And that's what irritates me the most. We KNOW how to build quality goods (in fact I'd go as far to say that we invented quality, Mr. Chaps) and have been doing so for almost two centuries-----but then for reasons that seemingly make zero sense, companies will suddenly drop the ball and produce just plain crap. Knowingly and on purpose. For no rhyme nor reason. Well except for fiscal gains of course. Which as we have learned usually results in a few bites on the posterior. My point to all this is that re-designing and re-engineering a product is all fine and dandy----but one should end up with a product that is better than the one before, not worse. How many people would keep buying Rolex's and Porsches and Swans if suddenly the quality of those dropped to the levels of Timex, Yugos and MacGregor? There'd be riots on the streets for crying out loud. And hell, I haven't even got into the topic of safety----building a firearm is like building an automobile, power tool, ladder, floor jack, escalator, airplane, et al. They NEED to be constructed to a high standard........or people will get hurt. And that is not good for anyone......

Anyways, mini rant over. Please enjoy your weekend, Folks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ricky B said:
So Marlin is actually Japanese for Toyota?..... ;D
I agree that if the Japanese were building them they would be of better quality , so if you are looking for the meaning of the word Marlin it might mean yugo or vega ..... maybe even china .

I came face to face with lack of marlin quality and customer service the first year the 1894cl came out . I bought one that had a chamber about twenty thousanths out of round and a good bit oversize . I sent a couple fired cases to marlin who wrote back and said they were within tolerences so enjoy your new rifle . Cases like the 32-20 don't really like that kind of resizing and wouldn't fit the rifle unless you sized them fully ...... you can guess case life was short .

I haven't bought a new marlin since then and won't now unless I can take it to the range first . That makes any chance of sale unlikely given the way buisness is normally done . It's really marlins loss and not mine because I have Marlins that were made when quality was part of the deal . They will work well for a long time to come and though I have the means to buy more new rifles from them I won't . All it takes is a few guys like that dropping out of the buying market each year and marlin is the loser .

If they want to keep their collective heads buried in the checkbook balance that is rapidly dwindling . I'm sure one of us can tell them why they are in the unemployment line and the rifles they used to make are now imported . As long as these financial experts want to use chinese labor as a company model , I'm sure the quality will reflect just how the American worker and customer is treated .

We as workers and customers can sing the praises of the company or shop elsewhere . The company is the one dependent on the buyers , so it might be in their best interest to be nice to customers and at least fair to those making the parts for their product .

Jack

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The day Marlin has a made in Japan stamping on it like a Browning for example will be the day that I would never look at a new Marlin again.Do you think they are building the new levers right along side their bolt Remmies or is the NY plant a strictly Marlin lever plant?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Ricky B, any word on how they managed to blow it up? Never saw that one before.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
good ole boy said:
The day Marlin has a made in Japan stamping on it like a Browning for example will be the day that I would never look at a new Marlin again.
FWIW just because some Brownings are made in Japan does not mean all their products are. Their safes are made in the USA, as are their Buckmarks.

Also with Browning, things haven't changed all that much, it's a known quantity. John Browning himself was the one who initiated the relationship with FN of Belgium to manufacture most of Browning's firearms such as the Hi-Power. Winchester tried to screw him over, and the owner of Remington died before he could talk with him, and he needed to work, so can you really blame him? He actually passed as the head firearms developer for FN, before he finished designing the Hi-Power. It was Dieudonne Saive that took over the job of head firearms developer at FN after John Browning's passing, and completed the design of the Hi-Power (he also designed the FN-49 and famous FN-FAL).

FN owns Browning to this day. And incidentally we have had a fantastic relationship with FN since we liberated Belgium in WWII. They offered to license the FN-FAL to us for free because of that...but instead of adopting that perfectly good rifle design we decided to spend taxpayer dollars developing the M14. Our military still relies on a lot of FN firearms to this day, from M16s and M4s to M2 .50 cals and M249s.

So the fact that a Japanese-made Browning is a problem, is only a problem to the extent that one would rather have a Belgian-made Browning than a Japanese-made Browning. The fact that there are any US-made Browning products is just a bonus for us.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Saw it on CalGuns. One of the guys said it's a 336 so I thought some you here would enjoy it. They mentioned possibly a bad reload, but just conjecture. But if you go back to the link he's got more pics of it. Regardless, to this nooby, that looks like it could have been painful.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought the Browning model 53 chambered in 32-20 because Marlin refused to repair the problems with the 1894cl that I'd already bought . I learned in one fell swoop that their quality control was terrible and their customer service was trying to be just like them . Browning was the only one that was making a rifle chambered in the cartridge I wanted , if they'd made it in Belgium for more money I would still have bought it . To me Quality does matter and I'd rather be using the gun than trying to fix it . From time to time most everyone makes a bad one , what's bad is when from time to time they make one right .

Had any other American maker been making a rifle in this chambering I would have considered it . The market managers of those companies just knew that nobody would buy a quality rifle though , after all , Browning sold out the five thousand they made .

Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts