Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or has anyone else or has anyone else had problems with accuracy of Henry's. Last year I bought my first Henry. I bought it sight unseen thinking that all the good things I heard of Henry's quality that I wouldn.t have a problem. I unboxed the BBS in .357 and immediately noticed a large gap between the stock and the recoil flats on the receiver. I wasn't concerned about it as I have a lot of experience fitting remlin stocks that almost always came with a gap there. The BBS steel shot the first 3 rounds into a clover leaf at 50 yds then opened up significantly. The original barrel had so much chatter that it would load up with copper and lead that would take me 2 hrs to clean out. Sent it back to Henry. The second barrel didn't have any chatter but the riffling in the last inch looked like someone pulled it out of the lathe to soon. It shot worse than the first barrel. Sent it back to Henry and 8 weeks later after some complaining to the owner in an email I received it back. This barrel they actually looked at and was satisfactory.

Now I have a Frontier in 22lr and have about the same problem. Two of the lands 1 inch from the end of the barrel get larger than the rest. It shoots 4 inch groups at 50 yds. It's going back to Henry and I hope they can get it right on the first trip.

Has anyone else had problems like this with Henry or do they just hate ME.

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
136 Posts
No problem here. I bought two from the first owners who decided to sell. Both were almost new in box (one included ammo).

Henry Big Boy .357

Henry H001 .22LR

JMO, I was looking at the Henry factory YouTube videos on the tear down and re-assembly. It seems much more simple than a Marlin 336 or a Winchester Model 94.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My All Weather Big Boy .45C shoots great and my BB 45-70 shoots great groups as well. I have to admit that I've still not shot my Henry single shot in 45-70 to see how it does.

Reactions: Jeepnut and cajun56

·
Registered
92 Posts
When you get your H001T back use your finger nail and scratch at the serial Number under the lever.
Don't be mad at me if you do.
The receiver is painted.
I have a 20" Frontier in 22lr and 17HMR. Good Shooters.
Had a 22mag and could not get it to shoot well. The barrel looked like a spider web of over laying spirals.
I was going through a bad time and could not get myself together to send it back, instead I traded it to a not so Local Gun Store owner for next to nothing in trade of a Mountie.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have the Henry Frontier in 22LR.
It hits where I aim it... I'm delighted with the fit and finish.

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
136 Posts
When you get your H001T back use your finger nail and scratch at the serial Number under the lever.
It's a Henry H001. I paid $300 for it with the original box. It shoots great so no issues.

The worst thing is it takes 4 minutes to load the gun and 4 seconds to unload the entire tube.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I don't think that anyone can complain about any product if they don't give maker a chance to fix it. Those that don't want to be bothered sending it back must be used to the remlins that went back and either were not fixed or came back in worse shape .

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
136 Posts
..I don't think that anyone can complain about any product if they don't give maker a chance to fix it. Those that don't want to be bothered sending it back must be used to the remlins that went back and either were not fixed or came back in worse shape .
I buy my guns after personally checking them out. It's nothing new here in GA (we have a great legal FS forum)..

I suspect 90% of my gun purchases were in private sales. The rest were via a gun store (a quick purchase with my gun permit). I point to the gun and pay for it.

Bottom line: I buy older guns.. No gang banger is interested in a lever-action gun. They may get kicked out of the gang for owning a lever-action. Their future is not bright.

Reactions: cstan

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
911, Have you tried a SPEED-D loader for your tube mag .22? I use one for my Henry pump so I can spend more time at the range shooting it and less time loading.

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
136 Posts
Yes,

I am a member of the range ($30/month free range options).

I generally bring everything loaded but with an open gun.

Ammo here:

Here:

I can roll with 30-30.

Reactions: cstan

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think that anyone can complain about any product if they don't give maker a chance to fix it. Those that don't want to be bothered sending it back must be used to the remlins that went back and either were not fixed or came back in worse shape .
No need for insults here!
Not complaining just stating facts.
If you want to insult people, say it to their face and no hiding behind a computer keyboard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, your premise if flawed. There is an valid expectation that manufacturers should have decent quality control and that includes a thorough final inspection. When you buy a product it should be fit for its intended purpose. The measure of the company is in consistently getting it right the first time, not in their ability to fix their mistakes - that should be a given. The rare mistake will happen and slip through, when that happens, it should be promptly repaired as their cost and with apologies.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am glad there is only one other person that is having problems with Henry. I know that anything manufactured is occasionally is going to slip through quality control. The fact that I have had to send back to the manufacturer both rifles I bought from Henry (one of them twice) about the same thing says to me Henry has a real quality control problem. What are the odds that all three bad barrels that Henry made were just coincidence that I ended up with them. I fixed the 7.5lb. creepy trigger and the poor wood to metal fit my self.

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
sorry for your troubles but my experience with Henry ahs been very positive. I bought a BBB in 44 mag from a pawn shop. the gun was damaged in shipping to me. the mag tube went flying off around shot 100 or so. Sent it back within a week back in my hands fixed, cleaned and test fired. it is fairly accurate but keep in mind it is a 44 mag.50-75 yds is all I am asking of it. Seems accurate at those distances and it is a beauty

·
Registered
92 Posts
What are the odds that all three bad barrels that Henry made were just coincidence that I ended up with them. I fixed the 7.5lb. creepy trigger and the poor wood to metal fit my self.
The odds of you getting one bad barrel seem slim.
Three in a row is like a Trend.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Really surprised to read about your bad experience given how expensive Henry's are, and have been. Don't personally have one but have heard that they retail around the $1000 area, give or take. For that price they shouldn't be pumping out Remlin quality (or lack of) firearms.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Henry 44 carbine shot 3 inches at 50 yards. It ain’t a tack driver. Tried at least 5 factory loads and two hand loads. Put a skinner peep on it and it tightened up to two inches. Broke the trigger in and stopped flinching Certainly not saying that’s the case in your situation

1 - 20 of 27 Posts