Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it going to "lead up" ???

I picked up a batch of “Oregon Trail” 240gr laser cast to make up some 44 special cowboy/plinking loads (2400 or W231 powder). I hear all this talk about leading. Will I have any problems (IE, excessive leading) with the non-gas checks in my Marlin 94 (w/ballard rifling) ?

I'll be doing the same thing for my Win 94 (45LC)

·
Registered
28 Posts

I have been shooting about 3000 rounds of the 405 grain in .458 in my 45/70 and have not seen any leading. Maybe it is my poor judgement on wether there is leading in the barrel or not - but I doubt that... Aynhow, I am most of the time not shooting the hottest loads with it - maybe that helps too.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

Having shot many of both, I would say I don't compare the 1895 to an 1894. I would stick with lower pressure, and the W231. Keep them going very slow, and use Greg Musial's data if possible.

Get some Beartooth sized .432 if you want accuracy. 2400 can be used, as can the W231. Just keep them slow. Might want to start with the full sized (mag), case, as they can be sent slowly too, but probably a little more accurate in your gun. When shooting lead, it helps to have the lead right next to the rifleing, or as far out as possible.

Leading is a small issue, and usually significant in that it prooves the bullet does not fit the gun. I see leading only occasionally. I then take a few strands of copper chore boy brillo pad on a copper brush and pass it down the bore a few times. Takes about 5 passes. I don't believe you can get a full sized (.432) bullet from Oregon trail, so you will get some inadequate fit on the average. If you keep them slow, and use for plinking, you probably can get some 1.5 in. if you use the right powders. Again, look up the data here, and look for group size. Greg has done the work for all of us!
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts