Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
As the round was being pushed up into the chamber, the tip would catch on the round in front of it in the magazine tube.
Marlin does make a special mag tube follower for the LE ammo. It has a concave face that helps keep the tips from binding between the tube & followed. It sounds like you may have a different type problem though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Most here seem to think that the FTX ammo only helps with flatter bullet trajectories. I feel the biggest benefit to this ammo is the higher retained velocity that keeps energy & bullet performance higher. You can learn how much to holdover for a given range but you can never get back the energy you loose over that range with a flat/round nosed bullet. It helps the bullet open up better also at longer ranges too.

John

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
It's "better" to me,... unlike most here who are satisfied with the tried and true, or may grudgingly admit the only advantage is at long range, I did a lot of testing when the LE first came out, and have shot a LOT of deer with them. All ranges, as short as 50' and as long as 150 plus yards, and as many different angles as presented themselves. Without exception, comparing my standard heart/lung type shot to 170 CL and 150PP, all the deer either dropped at the shot, or dropped within sight of the shot. As I harvest over 50% of my deer in the late afternoon, and in thick brush, I appreciate not having to track at night, even the few marginally hit deer died much quicker, and closer.
This is not to say the other ammo doesn't work, I killed a very big pile of deer with Rem. 170CL in the years before I switched, yes they were just as dead, but I had to go find them half of the time. Not a big deal right? well, sometimes it is. Pouring rain, falling snow quickly obliterates sign, and with so much posted land now, I'd rather collect them on my own property, and finally, at my age, I just can't drag them over hill and dale anymore. So..... Try them, no law says you can't go back, but if you don't give them a decent test, and I don't mean 1 or 2 deer, you really don't know.
They've just appeared here _ thanks, I am going to try them out hunting. My rifle certainly liked them on the range.
I shoot a 30-30. ☝

·
Registered
277 Posts
Although many members here disk LE ammo, mostly because they say they don't always exit and leave a blood trail, my experience emulates that of Brother GCS above. I've killed a fair number of deer with LE bullets using the 338MX, 308MX, and the 32 Special LE. So far all bullets have exited and all were DRT kills. My B-I-L has had the same experience using LE ammo in his 35 Rem and 308MX on Whitetail deer and hogs; so, although we have other ammo brands in our stash, we are true believers in the Hornady LE. My personal best buck was taken using the 338MX and LE ammo at about 25 yards. It was dark-thirty, and I thought I'd never find the cross-j\hairs; but I did and buck dropped in its tracks.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
They've just appeared here _ thanks, I am going to try them out hunting. My rifle certainly liked them on the range.
I shoot a 30-30. ☝
Hi Sambane! I always love hearing from you due to your location outside of the US. I like hearing about all hunting outside the US. Anyway, old thread, but I understand why you'd bring it up. So interesting that the LE FTX bullets have made it there. Is it factory ammo or components for you to load? I have used them, as have family and friends. It is my opinion based on these observations that they are great for stretching the range of certain calibers and deadly on thin skinned game. They are not for punching through shoulders. A good behind the leg shot produces incredible interior wounding and usually exits with a sizable opposing side hole.

I don't know what you'd be hunting, which is why I am so interested. I've seen large US whitetail deer drop to the Hornady LE from both factory and handloads. If the deer didn't drop within yards of the shot, it appeared as if a bucket were used to create the blood trail. And a shoulder shot resulted in a tracking and a follow up shot so it isn't terrible.

Reactions: Sambane

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Hi Sambane! I always love hearing from you due to your location outside of the US. I like hearing about all hunting outside the US. Anyway, old thread, but I understand why you'd bring it up. So interesting that the LE FTX bullets have made it there. Is it factory ammo or components for you to load? I have used them, as have family and friends. It is my opinion based on these observations that they are great for stretching the range of certain calibers and deadly on thin skinned game. They are not for punching through shoulders. A good behind the leg shot produces incredible interior wounding and usually exits with a sizable opposing side hole.

I don't know what you'd be hunting, which is why I am so interested. I've seen large US whitetail deer drop to the Hornady LE from both factory and handloads. If the deer didn't drop within yards of the shot, it appeared as if a bucket were used to create the blood trail. And a shoulder shot resulted in a tracking and a follow up shot so it isn't terrible.
Good to run across you again too kob'. - I haven't been visiting here all that much.

I think you know that I am an "ambassador" for the 170gr Win PP.

With the 30-30 I do my very best not to hunt anything bigger than Oryx/Kudu within 220m , (however, sometimes opportunity presents itself to overstep the boundaries both in distance and animal and this has happened ;) ). My main quarry with the 160's will be Springbok, Fallow deer and Impala , but if a Kudu should step out and hands me an opportunity .... there are many there. . The 160 gr'ers should be ok on those smaller antelope.

My shots will not be as close as most MO's describe here though. The average will be around 130m -140m, so they should hold together a bit more? Of course they could go out to 250m if the wind and sun is not in my favour.

So, yes I am very interested to see the performance of the Hornady's on the smaller antelope in order for me to make my final call and of course I am concerned about hitting big shoulder bones. With the accuracy I am getting from the Hornady's I might even be capable of placing my shots better! :p

Most of my hunting is done in the southern Kalahari & Free State Province (longer shots) although I do go into the thick stuff here on the east coast and in the Eastern Cape province too. Dangerous game I mostly hunt in Mozambique.

Factory loaded Hornady ammo and trimmings for "rolling my own" are now available for the 30-30 i.e. fibre tips. I hope they continue to come in as I would hate to change and then again run out just to have to change back! Generally 30-30 stuff is just scarce over here, from guns to bullets & ammo. I live in the pointed ammo / bolt action world down here! :LOL:

The Hornady's will have to put up quite a show to outdo what the 170gr PP have done for me in many years of using & trusting them.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Another option I have considered are the Speer 30-30 bullets. They have a higher BC than some of the other flat noses and might be a good alternative. Some 30-30 bullets are almost shaped like wad cutters while the Speers are more like a flat nose cut off spitzer. The LE's work very well on deer out of my 35R but I have not yet had an opportunity to shoot a deer with them.
Hornady makes a 140 grain monolith that might be better and intrigues me. Monoliths can break shoulders which I find handy at times. It a gummy point spitzer also. Based on my use of Hornady monoliths in my 6.5CM, I would expect them to work very well.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
simple answer is NO. shoot what you are good with, no newfangled bullet or magnum cartridge is going to kill any better than the other. take your time and get a good shot

Reactions: Sambane

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have been using the factory Federal 150 grain Power Shok bullets in my Marlin 336C 30-30 for several years and have been pleased with the accuracy and performance on deer. I have began to wonder if I would gain anything from trying the new Horandy Leverevolution for my deer hunting. Most of my shots are under 100 yards for where I hunt here in Pa. What are all your thoughts on the right application for Hornady Bullets? Do you benefit much over the traditional soft point bullets. Thanks for all your insights.
[/QUOTE

I have been using the factory Federal 150 grain Power Shok bullets in my Marlin 336C 30-30 for several years and have been pleased with the accuracy and performance on deer. I have began to wonder if I would gain anything from trying the new Horandy Leverevolution for my deer hunting. Most of my shots are under 100 yards for where I hunt here in Pa. What are all your thoughts on the right application for Hornady Bullets? Do you benefit much over the traditional soft point bullets. Thanks for all your insights.
You are not going to get any significant gain in performance, except higher cost for the ammunition. At least if all your shots are less than 100 yards. That's just my opinion. If I can get the job done with a 15 dollar box of ammo over a 25 dollar box, then that is what I will do. There are certain situations where a better performing bullet is called for. But the situation that you describe, IMO, does not. The intent of the ftx was to get better long range performance out of a 30 30 at longer range, lets say 200 to 225 yards. But I myself would use a larger caliber if that were going to be the case. Not trying to discourage you from using them if that is what you want to do. Just for me it is not worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You are not going to get any......
The OP asked his question eight years ago. I‘m sure he has it figured out by now. Anyway, he hasn’t been back to the forum in years so he won’t see your post.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts