Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My Roll Your own are all Honady core-lock. From my 30/30, 35, and Marlin 444 I achieve the maximum result, meat on the table. I have not noticed much meat destruction from any of these rifles. I have seen, when I hit a bit low, more bone breakage with the 35 and 444, but the Deer did not move 4 paces. DOA when hit, which is what we want, clean humane kill. For our needs in the South East, the lever rifles are perfect for tracking or for stand hunting. I would not trade these rifles for any thing else on the market. The youngest one, the Marlin 444 is a 1992, and the other two are 1972 and 1974 respectively. And they all love homegrown ammo, its perfect balance and one hec of alot of fun.

Going out to the forest this weekend to start finding the critters again. Like I said last year, there is a big buck on Army Core WMA and I intend to harvest him this year. But the Buck may also have something to say about that, he has been around awhile. He is not a stupid son of a gun, I have tracked him twice and he doubled back on me before I caught on...So he has a plan and I have one. So far its a draw. Got within forty yards of him straight on. Only problem, big oak tree between us, and no way for me to flank him. All I could see was a nose and half his rack..............he was nice. When he heard me, he went to his bedding ground, and I thought he was headed to the oak groves and a bit of water...oh well. Thats hunting, I really do love the tracking part its a good game, with no computers or other distractions, it takes your whole attention.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
At 100 yrds the deer I've shot wouldn't know the difference. I did take one deer with a long shot for a 30-30 (maybe 150 yrds or more) with a 150 grn round nose. I got the deer but I needed a follow up shot. I don't think the first hit expanded enough. The deer still didn't get very far after it was hit with the first shot but I think the FTX bullets do a better job at distances beyond 100 yrds. If all your shots are 125 yrds or less you will be fine sticking with the round nose bullets. Where I hunt we could get a shot in the bush or in an open field and I like the FTX bullets. They preformed very well on deer for me.

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
To me in the 35 there a lot to do about nothing. They work,and work well.But Ive seen nothing to cut a flip over,and them 200gr pumpkin balls have been getting the job done forever. But I shoot peeps on my levers,and 90yds is a long shot when Im hunting with em. I kill at least 4 or 5 deer with just my 35s a year. Have for a long time,sometimes a good many more. But lately Ive been hunting about as much with the 7mag on power lines and such.I went out and bought two boxes of the LEs when they came out. Shot em a little and killed a few deer with em.They may even shoot a tad better groups out of my mauser in 35,but only a tad. But my levers don't show that.Id still trade 2 boxes of the LEs for one box of silvertips in 35 Remington.Only got about 60 of the silvertips left,but Ill kill around 80 deer with em:biggrin: Biggest advantage I see in the 35 ,is your more than likely to find them on the shelves than the others here. Them and the 150gr Remington. But Ive started reloading for the 35 so its not as big a concern for me. I like the old silvertips the best,then the remingtons,then fed,then the LEs.All in 200gr. But a decent shot can stay fat and keep the freezer full with any of em. I want knock any of em,but theres still no magic bullet. Its still where the bullet ends up,and what it does getting there that's the important part. And them pumpkin balls puts the hurt on em. And they didn't stop doing it just because the LEs came out. Happy Hunting...Gunrunner,,

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
Yep 18" GG
Enjoyed the video Hoss,:hmmmm: Man" you guys drink a lot of blame milk out yonder:biggrin: And for some reason I thought you lived in Washington State,dont know how I got that all messed up. If Id known you were just over in Oregon,Id of done stoped by for a visit! Heck" you guys are just down the road from South Carolina:biggrin: All Id have to do is follow the milk trucks:biggrin: All jokes aside Me,great video,thanks for sharing. Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's "better" to me,... unlike most here who are satisfied with the tried and true, or may grudgingly admit the only advantage is at long range, I did a lot of testing when the LE first came out, and have shot a LOT of deer with them. All ranges, as short as 50' and as long as 150 plus yards, and as many different angles as presented themselves. Without exception, comparing my standard heart/lung type shot to 170 CL and 150PP, all the deer either dropped at the shot, or dropped within sight of the shot. As I harvest over 50% of my deer in the late afternoon, and in thick brush, I appreciate not having to track at night, even the few marginally hit deer died much quicker, and closer.
This is not to say the other ammo doesn't work, I killed a very big pile of deer with Rem. 170CL in the years before I switched, yes they were just as dead, but I had to go find them half of the time. Not a big deal right? well, sometimes it is. Pouring rain, falling snow quickly obliterates sign, and with so much posted land now, I'd rather collect them on my own property, and finally, at my age, I just can't drag them over hill and dale anymore. So..... Try them, no law says you can't go back, but if you don't give them a decent test, and I don't mean 1 or 2 deer, you really don't know.

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
It's "better" to me,... unlike most here who are satisfied with the tried and true, or may grudgingly admit the only advantage is at long range, I did a lot of testing when the LE first came out, and have shot a LOT of deer with them. All ranges, as short as 50' and as long as 150 plus yards, and as many different angles as presented themselves. Without exception, comparing my standard heart/lung type shot to 170 CL and 150PP, all the deer either dropped at the shot, or dropped within sight of the shot. As I harvest over 50% of my deer in the late afternoon, and in thick brush, I appreciate not having to track at night, even the few marginally hit deer died much quicker, and closer.
This is not to say the other ammo doesn't work, I killed a very big pile of deer with Rem. 170CL in the years before I switched, yes they were just as dead, but I had to go find them half of the time. Not a big deal right? well, sometimes it is. Pouring rain, falling snow quickly obliterates sign, and with so much posted land now, I'd rather collect them on my own property, and finally, at my age, I just can't drag them over hill and dale anymore. So..... Try them, no law says you can't go back, but if you don't give them a decent test, and I don't mean 1 or 2 deer, you really don't know.
:hmmmm:Maybe you've become a better shot shot over the years:biggrin: Just kidding around with ya gcs, I understand what you mean brother.but grudgingly admit? :biggrin: Anyhow you guys are talking 30-30s,and I havnt tried em in mine. Only the 35. Im sure there the bees knees to some, and a Man should give anything a fair test if hes really thinks he needs something extra. Guess Im just set I my ways,and these new calibers and ammo don't impress me as much as they should. Ill probably will just always be stuck in the tried and true,always works when I do my part rut. But millions of dead white tail cant be wrong either. Sure theres deer that goes alittle farther when shot well,Same with any animal even Man. Heck" Ive seen John Wayne shot twice and saddle a blame horse to ride off on:biggrin: I was shot twice and all I could do was talk to the good lord,asking him to please get me out of this mess:biggrin: like I said I don't see nothing wrong with the LEs,think they look mean as all get out. Just don't see enough to make me turn my back on whats filled my freezers forever and the walls of both my homes in mounts,and this old head of mine with great memories. Me and peep sighted levers with STs and CLs have killed more deer than F150s:biggrin:. And for some strange reason I see no reason to change up,this late in the game. My advice for anyone would be to try em all if you can,pick one that you shoot well with and go hunting. whichever you choose,if you don't push its range and put it in the right place,your bringing meat home. Because while there is bad ammo(had a factory 308 snap on me this year in my 99 with a good buck walking 40yards in front of me) Wrote about that over in my "wishing everone a great deer season thread. But its got to be a rare thing,only time its ever happened to me except with a few 22s. Theres way the heck more bad shots due to the shooter,limbs,weather,rifle and such. But Im more a hunter than anything else,and will stick with what got me here. But Fishing? Man Ill try ever new gadget they come out with:biggrin: I know I miss fish,from setting there studying what to try next:biggrin: Good luck with whatever you pick, I hope it serves you well. You guys stay safe and enjoy yourselfs... sbb.jpg Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can't hunt with my 35 here in illinois but I can tell you they are darn accurate.

Reactions: Sambane

·
Registered
179 Posts
My 30-30 hates the leverevolution rounds, very poor accuracy compared to the Federal and Winchester bullets so it isn't an option for me. As others have said within 140 yds you aren't gaining anything with the gummy tips.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
With an XLR 30-30 all I feed it is LE's. When hunting The places I do, I have no idea if one is going to be just around the bend,out in the middle of a paddock, in a grassy clearing, or what ever. The LE will do what I want and do it very well. What I like is the consistancy, accuracy and put down dead effect it has. I have had no complaints from the deer.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Both are a good dependable round... There is a difference at longer ranges, but for 150 yards or less it is not noticeable... Your call, but I would suggest to stick with what you know, unless you truly feelthe need to change. Take care.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been using the factory Federal 150 grain Power Shok bullets in my Marlin 336C 30-30 for several years and have been pleased with the accuracy and performance on deer. I have began to wonder if I would gain anything from trying the new Horandy Leverevolution for my deer hunting. Most of my shots are under 100 yards for where I hunt here in Pa. What are all your thoughts on the right application for Hornady Bullets? Do you benefit much over the traditional soft point bullets. Thanks for all your insights.
I haven't had the luxury of shooting Hornady Leveroution through my 336CS .30-.30 or .35 Rem yet, but I have shot Hornady rounds through my Remington 700 .270. What I can tell you is that those rounds were "intense". I was throwing a 12-14" flame out the muzzle and shooting a target that I tacked onto a tree with a trunk diameter of about 12". I shot 12 rounds into the target and everone of them were taking chuncks out of the tree trunk and pulverizing the tree where the target was. The last two of the 12 rounds actually penetrated all 12" of the trunk and left shards of inner tree protruding out the back. Some serious "punch" to the Hornady ammo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have always been told that you should never use "pointed" ammunition in a tubular magazine
due to the possibility of somehow firing the round in front. Also, I just picked up a 336 in 35 and
tried the Hornady Leverevolution ammo and it would not feed at all. Jammed everything I tried to
cycle a round into the chamber. Finally gave up and have gone back to the Remington Core-lokt and
they feed with no problem. This is the 3rd Marlin 336 I have owned over the years.

Any ideas from the more experienced than me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The Leverevolution rounds are specifically made to work safely in magazine tube rifles...I have used them allot and they work just fine (and are extremely accurate).....interesting that they don't feed well in your guns....I've never heard of that happening before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Leverevolution rounds are specifically made to work safely in magazine tube rifles...I have used them allot and they work just fine (and are extremely accurate).....interesting that they don't feed well in your guns....I've never heard of that happening before.
As the round was being pushed up into the chamber, the tip would catch on the round in front of it in the magazine tube.

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
There's been quite a few deer taken with 30-30's over the past 100yrs with ammo that didn't have gummy tips.... kinda hard to argue about the success rate of a 30-30 with "normal" ammo

Where I hunt in Ga, none of my shots are past 50yds. So any "advantage" of the LE's would be pointless. I haven't tried LE's in my 30-30 yet, but I have used them in my .35 and other than shooting a little higher than the Core-Lokts, the deer wouldn't know the difference.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have used the FTX Hornady bullet with good success in 170gr. Now that I roll my own, I use the Hornady core-lock bullet in the appropriate grain. All the core-lock bullets work well out to 150 yrds, and the critters are DOA with one shot. They pack a punch with no real meat loss. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My .30-30 likes the LE's a bit more than everything else I've fired through her. It's not necessarily that I've harvested deer with them (I have) but that they group better in mine. Also, here in the mountainous woods of WV, distance shots aren't really much of a consideration.

Use whatever works best for your rifle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
21 - 40 of 50 Posts