Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the factory Federal 150 grain Power Shok bullets in my Marlin 336C 30-30 for several years and have been pleased with the accuracy and performance on deer. I have began to wonder if I would gain anything from trying the new Horandy Leverevolution for my deer hunting. Most of my shots are under 100 yards for where I hunt here in Pa. What are all your thoughts on the right application for Hornady Bullets? Do you benefit much over the traditional soft point bullets. Thanks for all your insights.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The gummies, will give you improved accuracy at longer ranges, if your rifle likes them. At closer ranges, they really are not necessary. I use them in my scoped rifles for shooting out to 200 yards. In my iron sighted 30=30 don't really need them.

·
Super Moderator
19,133 Posts
Iorn sites out to 150yds, well my guns see no benifits from a VLD style bullet.

At the end of my test video is a comparison of 4 bullets... in my test the Levere had less mushroom than the 350gr Horn FP

·
Premium Member
24,428 Posts
It depends on what you are looking to gain. I have 4 30-30's, and they all like them. The new 140gr Monoflex is a lead-free alloy bullet, and it's a real screamer @2483fps, and accurate, too. I have found them all to be quite consistant, but you really have to use a scoped rifle to gain the full advantage of the added effective yardage. If you're hunting is done inside 100yds, I can't really suggest you have much to gain, unless you also hunt hogs, and are looking for more penetration, and a nasty bullet to boot.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
What is better? Generally a pesonal defintion. I use the LE bullets in my 35 Remington and feel they may be better for up close shooting in the brush than the round nose for an occaisional longer shot. I could really either as they shoot very close at 100 yards. Were they unavailable I could go my way using the 200 grain Remington Corelocs. Understand that a bullet driven under 2500 fps is not going to equal one like my old 270 130 grain laod at 3000. The LE's will extend the point blank range by 25-50 yards, at most, out of a slower speed cartridge. I like them because I have small fields and a lot of woods that I hunt where a 200 yard shot might occur. If I had to shoot a lot at longer ranges then the 308 Marlin would be a better set up (or my old 300 Savage bolt action). Expect a slight edge not a miracle using them.

DEP

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
I don't know about better part but I will say they are real accurate in my 336c 30-30 shot 3 Deer with them a couple years ago and all 3 were DRT didn't move a muscle my shots ranged from 20 yards to around 130 yards!!

Reactions: Sambane

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have been using the factory Federal 150 grain Power Shok bullets in my Marlin 336C 30-30 for several years and have been pleased with the accuracy and performance on deer. I have began to wonder if I would gain anything from trying the new Hornady Leverevolution for my deer hunting.
Like any rifle/bullet combination, it could be a best, worst, same issue, for accuracy. The somewhat misleading ballistics chart on the Hornady website makes a comparison between the conventional bullets and the FTX difficult. Comparing legacy data to the FTX numbers,with equal sight-in parameters, they are much closer together. My own M336 is quite accurate, and using a couple 150gr bullets, sighted in 2" high at 100yds, I'm about 3" low at 200yds. Even 170's are not far from that. I haven't bothered with 300yd shots, as I have a couple rifles for that kind of range.

Give them a try, they are generally available. But it won't turn a .30-30 into a .270, and out to 150yds or so, it won't make much difference anyway.

·
Registered
726 Posts
[QUOdon't believe you would gain anything at the ranges that you shoot at . Senneca;1419590]I have been using the factory Federal 150 grain Power Shok bullets in my Marlin 336C 30-30 for several years and have been pleased with the accuracy and performance on deer. I have began to wonder if I would gain anything from trying the new Horandy Leverevolution for my deer hunting. Most of my shots are under 100 yards for where I hunt here in Pa. What are all your thoughts on the right application for Hornady Bullets? Do you benefit much over the traditional soft point bullets. Thanks for all your insights.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe you would gain anything at the ranges that you shoot and might instead lose some knockdown power. At those ranges you might gain a bit in performance by switching to a 170 grain flat nose.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If it is not broken, don't fix it...always works for me However, I roll my own rounds for a 35 cal Marlin.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong MO'ers but the LE's were designed for the xlr rifle with the a 24" barrel. I have some and intend to try them and see if my rifle likes them, but I have read that the performance increase from a 20" barrel is marginal.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
ME,

Were you using a 45/70? Found that last shot amazing going through 18 jugs. Those loads would stop a Moose :eating:

Reactions: Sambane and me

·
Registered
673 Posts
They work really well in my 35 Remington. The last deer I killed with the LE was 218 yards per my range finder. I would not have attempted this shot with standard ammo. This was from a 20 inch barrel Marlin 336, 1971 vintage. I sighted it in per the balistics shown on the box.

I do not like them for the 45-70. They shoot well, but destroy too much meat.

Reactions: Sambane and BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
19,133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,133 Posts
Actually I would be surprised if you seen a 1.5 " diff in trajectory on the 150gr rnd 160gr LE out to 150yds... I need to get my updated version of
Sierra 6.? what ever... haven't had it for 2 computers now :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've killed many deer with the Leverevolution round...from 25 yards to a measured 157 yards. The results were extremely effective! I haven't shot enough deer recently with the Core-loKts to really do a side by side comparison, but the internal damage and entrance/exit wounds from the 30-30 Leverevolution rounds were just as they should be, regardless of the range. I don't know the technical fine points, but I believe the construction of the Hornady bullet, matched with the correct velocity, is the reason the round is so effective on deer. In my neck of the woods 30-30 Core-Lokts are around $16 a box and the Hornadys are around $19 a box and both are reasonably available. In my guns, the Hornadys are more accurate than other ammunition brands.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I have been using the factory Federal 150 grain Power Shok bullets in my Marlin 336C 30-30 for several years and have been pleased with the accuracy and performance on deer. I have began to wonder if I would gain anything from trying the new Horandy Leverevolution for my deer hunting. Most of my shots are under 100 yards for where I hunt here in Pa. What are all your thoughts on the right application for Hornady Bullets? Do you benefit much over the traditional soft point bullets. Thanks for all your insights.
At the ranges you are shooting, I see no reason for you to change unless you just want to try something different. The LE's shoot darn good in most of my 30-30's, but I have one Glenfield that LOVES the Fed. 150's. I use them in it and LE's in the others. DP

·
Premium Member
10,712 Posts
I love them in the 45-70 and the .35 but really have not found a need for them in the 30-30.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts