Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?:
I do believe that magnums have their place in the world of hunting/target shooting/national defence, etc. I just don't need them for what I do (hunting elk, deer, bear, etc). I am perfectly happy using my lever-guns or revolver for all. My sons and I have 30-30s and there are a couple of 45-70s in the family and I carry that in grizzly country, this being our most potent load. The 30-30 performs most of the work handily.
I'm not putting-down the folks that use super powerful loads at all, I'm just wondering how many of us do what we need to do without paying through the buttplate :)

I AM JUST CURIOUS AND DON'T WANT TO START ANY ARGUMENTS :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I would have answered in the affirmative, however, in the last two weeks I bought a 336ER in 356win (what I consider my magnum) and a BLR in 358 win (what I consider my other magnum). So both levers. I haven't gotten to the range to shoot either yet but hope to change that tomorrow. I have no need for a magnum, other then pistol cartridges.

Edited for accuracy (I don't own a magnum other than pistol rounds in lever 41, 44 and between the above, my 444, and my 25-06 have enough flat shooters that can reach out and touch something I just have never had a need for one.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Other than a pistol cartridge I never felt the need for a magnum. If I can't reach or kill it with my 30-06 then I don't need to be shooting at it. I do own a 357 mag in a handgun and been thinking of adding a Marlin 1894 in the same caliber to my collection but that is the only magnum that I want. The 44 mag isn't even considered here as I own a 45 LC that will do anything that the 44 will. My son was talking about getting a 7 mm mag but I told him the same thing about if you can't kill it with a 30-06 than you ain't going to kill it with the 7mm either. Then one year after I had gotten my deer he used my 30-06 and decided that dad wasn't all wet behind the ears as he thought now he's thinking of getting one for himself.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You bet! My 38/55, 35 Rem, 30-30, 444, 45-70 all se a lot of playing time! The 300 Win mag sat on the bench this past year.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sure-Shot said:
I would have answered in the affirmative, however, in the last two weeks I bought a 336ER in 356win mag and a BLR in 358 win mag. So both levers but in Mag caliburs. I haven't gotten to the range to shoot either yet but hope to change that tomorrow. I have no need for a magnum, other then pistol cartridges, just wanted them.
The highlights are mine. Those are NOT magnums. :wink: You shouldn't try to hornswoggle the new guys. :lol:

I don't own a rifle magnum yet. I've been shooting and hunting for over 41 years. Never felt handicapped, was never afraid. Just bought a .45-70 that I can use for the really big North American stuff if the opportunity arises.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
This is one of my favorite games! I could cheerfully operate with nothing made less than 100 years ago! If levers would not quite reach out far enough, the mauser would do just fine! I'd miss my Glock 36 and Airlite .22, but since it's my game, open carry was just legalized and concealed carry is a thing of the past. The world is a safer place because of it and the newfound peace and tranquility leads to the discovery of the cure that will conquor all disease and illness. See what a good SAA will do for ya??? :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Long before gun writers.. the non Magnums killed everything all over the world.. so no I don't need one.. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:oops:
You know, I was the first to goof...........I must admit that I DO have a 44 MAGNUM :shock: And I like it!!??

Hello, my name is Brian and I have a magnum.............................

My head must have been under another rock, I suppose....

I guess what I was really talking about was the large rifle cartriges...
My wife says I don't communicate very well sometimes, I would hate to think she has been right all along :cry:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
In my opinion, the benefit of the magnum is increased velocity. The key virtue being that it 'flattens' trajectory. If you hunt in an area where range is unknown and shots are long, you have a greater chance of hitting the target in the kill zone. The higher velocity also yeilds greater terminal energy at greater distance. I am suggesting this with the understanding that accuracy counts. A hit in the chest with a 30-30 at 300 yards would be more effective than a hit in the leg with a 300 mag. For me, using a 300 magnum would mean that up to 350 yards bullet drop in not an issue.
Using a 30-30, bullet drop becomes an issue at 225 yards. Personally, the exta margin of error means I use the magnum if I think I will be shooting past 225 yards. You may be a better shot---- I like the margin of error.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think the availability of magnums is great... I have never considered
buying one though, don't need one. I very much enjoy flinging lead
out of my levers, at ELK/Deer/Bear. I would enjoy going on a moose
hunt in the future. the 45/70 will take care of that.

got nothing bad to say about magums caliber firearms. maybe if
I was raised out in Montana, Colorado, type country my thoughts
would be different. but here in Western Wa, or where I was raised
in Michigan. Never have had a need for a Magnum.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hobie, I went back and edited just to avoid confusion. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who needs magnums

Welcome to a group of us who don't always word things properly.I agree with you and my" magnum"rifles are a Shiloh 45/70 and a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen and have come to realize that skinny people shouldn't shoot big magnums. Had a Marlin 1895 45/70 but sold it in a time of need .There is another one in my future.It's not always the gun but the person using it that matters most.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who needs magnums

Welcome to a group of us who don't always word things properly.I agree with you and my" magnum"rifles are a Shiloh 45/70 and a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen and have come to realize that skinny people shouldn't shoot big magnums. Had a Marlin 1895 45/70 but sold it in a time of need .There is another one in my future.It's not as much the gun but the person using it that matters most.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
although the 44 and 357 are called magnums I was not counting them ,, I figured this was about rifles and the Short Short , weird goofy ones with all the letters and numbers :D

to me the 44 mag is just a hot big bore.. but the goofy shoot into the next county magnums are just that to me.. Goofy,, Thats my opinion ..
I could care less what people like and own you have the right to have them all if you like.. they just don't interest me.. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, that is kinda what I was talking about Gunjunkie. I mean, if they are really out there, say 300 to 350 yards, I have a 308 Win that is very capable of taking game at that range no matter what canon anybody else thinks I need at that range. I mostly hunt where the range is limited to no more than 200 - 250 yards tops. My levers are just fine for that.
You know, it gets me to thinking of this same conversation in the late 1800's or the earlier part of the 1900's. Doesn't seem those hunters had any problem harvesting game.
Will the super-duper cartriges reach out there farther? You bet! For me, I will not take a shot even with my 308 Win that is over 350 yards and that is pushing it for me. I know I can hit at that range, but if something were to go wrong like the critter that just doesn't know it is supposed to drop, I want to be closer to maybe get off another shot, etc. It is great with me that alot of folks like the "big-guns" and some folks DO hunt where extra range is important! I would not shun anyone from giving me a 257 Weatherby (email for shipping info) :lol: I just don't need that level of performance. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
In my "big rifle" collection, I have a .35 Rem., a .308 Win., two .30-06's, and a 7mm Rem. mag.

I like them all. I don't have magnum-phobia,,,,,,,My .35 and my 7 mag see most of the use. I really don't even think of my 7 mag as a magnum. It's just a good accurate and easy to shoot rifle that happens to have a very flat trajectory. If I am hunting in the woods, it's the .35 that goes with me. If I am hunting the fields, it's the 7 mag.

Yea, the 7 is a mag, but it's not a bruiser either. It is the easiest shooting rifle I've ever owned. This rifle just always finds it mark. It's a Savage. One of the best investments I've ever made. If I had to settle with only one rifle for some strange screwed up reason, it would be this Savage 7mag, not because it's a mag, but because of the accurate, great handling characteristics of this particular rifle.

The "mag craze" crowd are sometimes misinformed and can't even shoot well anyway. I've seen it on the range all too often. A man that can shoot his firearm well should be respected no matter what the caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Tubby,
I'd sure like to be a citizen in your perfect world or maybe you could adopt me if you get your wish?
Isn't it amazing though how the 30-30, 45-70, 38-55, 45 Colt and all the rest of the tried and true just seem to keep doing their jobs no matter what laser-designated miracles come along? My Dad always said "Son, just find-out what works well and stick with it". It was good advise for me then and is now. Besides that, I do have a love for the older, but effective cartriges :)

All the best,
Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
I learned the hard way, with my type of hunting, that the magnums seemed to damage alot more meat, that I was working so hard to get. So, after knocking 4 or 5 deer on their duffs, then finding out when I get upto them they were REALLY hurt, BUT STILL ALIVE, and I had to painfully finish them off. Four things happened: 1 the 300 magnum got sold. 2 I started doing more "hunting, which gave me shorter shots. 3 I had alot less damaged meat. 4 I shot more deer. So, the old 35 Rem, 30-30, and 44 mag are all this "long range" hunter needs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts