Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,872 Posts
Kid Sopris said:
True-Shot 44 Cal. 310g WNFP GC .430 in their .444 ? Your Results Please...Thank You.

http://www.laser-cast.com/trueshot.html
While I sincerely would like to try that boolit, it is unfortunately .002" too small. If they offered this boolit in .432" I would jump on it quicker than a chicken on a june bug!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I thought about that, but it is Gas checked, but that's not enough for accuracy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shoot their bullets in my handguns. Why a larger dia.? If their rifle bullets are hard as their pistol bullets .430 should work? I have a Micro groove barrel and have never shot lead from it. Everyone told me it would not work. My hand gun bullets are very hard I've never recovered one that was deformed. If it wasn't for the rifling marks on them I'd reload em.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Appears it might be a candidate for paper-patching. Maybe Janott or one of the paper patchers will chime in on this.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
When the True Shots first came out, I called Oregon Trails ans ask if they could be made to a .432 for the 444, they said no, and that the 444 would shoot good enough with the .430's, they sent me a sample pack of .430's, they shot like crap out of my Microgroove guns. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
15,872 Posts
Starrbow said:
When the True Shots first came out, I called Oregon Trails ans ask if they could be made to a .432 for the 444, they said no, and that the 444 would shoot good enough with the .430's, they sent me a sample pack of .430's, they shot like crap out of my Microgroove guns. YMMV
Cast Boolits less than .432" shoot like crap out of my 1:38" Microgroove® 444 also. With .432" boolits the faster I push them, the more accurate they are.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have a 1 in 20 twist, Ballard, so I will ask for a sample pack. I will advise results.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones they shoot great in my MG, I'm shooting them around 1750 fps and next to speer's 270 gold dot soft point they are the most accurate bullet, good luck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
hey, I just saw this old post and thought I would chime in. I ordered some of these from Midway and I was encouraged by how well they shot in both my 444 ('83 MG) and my 44 (1894 CB Ltd 24")..definitely well enough to keep messing with them and will try to post some pictures of the groups I get.

For the 44 I crimped them on the first grease groove, after I cleaned the lube out of it ahead of 22 gr 296, Rem nickel cases, WLPs. Fed them in by hand of course..

For the 444 I crimped them in the crimp groove ahead of 41.2 gr H4198, Rem cases, WLRs

It is so nice to load for the 44 with a carbide sizer and not have to lube the cases as with the 444..but its a small price to pay for as much fun as the 444 is to shoot.

as an aside any advice on the best case lube, i.e. easiest to clean off the cases would be appreciated.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Laser Cast manual has two loads listed
300 Truncated Cone
powder====start gr=====vel====not exceed===vel=======OAL
700X======10.0======1247=====12.0=====1366======2.550
Unique=====10.0======1178=====14.5=====1423======2.550

No experience with it here. Hodgdon data can be extrapolated and worked up too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts