Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody else tired of the "Marlin Jam" nonsense?

I have several Marlins, but the model 94's make me crazy with the "Marlin Jam" crap. Whey don't they heat treat the part or at least have a hardened steel insert where the lifter and lever make contact? I have completed "the fix" with 3 of them as outlined on here in the past. They look great! Both .357's are cured, but my .44 still gives me crap. I have the tolerances very close on the two surfaces and it still jams from time to time. Uggg..I can't believe that Marlin still lets this problem go on and on. With all the brilliant engineers they have on staff, why don't they fix it....permanently??? Anybody else having this issue?

I absolutely love levers and the accuracy of Marlins, but the jamming issue with 3 rifles really leaves me cold. Sure, it is "fixed" for now on two of them, but still doesn't give me the warm fuzzy that the problem won't come back at the worst possible moment.

Does anyone make a permanent fix for this issue in after market parts? Flinch

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Re: Is anybody else tired of the "Marlin Jam" nonsense?

I've owned several 1894s and only had problems with the first one. And it wasn't what is called the "Marlin Jam".

·
Registered
622 Posts

The marlin jam is the result of a lot of use. If it jammed out of the box its not the marlin jam.

I have seen a lot of hard used marlin 94s that did not exhibit the "marlin Jam".

I have made the changes on my CB by rounding over the nose but that was to help prevent the problem not to solve. I liked to never got the dad gum thing to feed though.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts

Flinch said:
I have several Marlins, but the model 94's make me crazy with the "Marlin Jam" crap. Whey don't they heat treat the part or at least have a hardened steel insert where the lifter and lever make contact? I have completed "the fix" with 3 of them as outlined on here in the past. They look great! Both .357's are cured, but my .44 still gives me crap. I have the tolerances very close on the two surfaces and it still jams from time to time. Uggg..I can't believe that Marlin still lets this problem go on and on. With all the brilliant engineers they have on staff, why don't they fix it....permanently??? Anybody else having this issue?

I absolutely love levers and the accuracy of Marlins, but the jamming issue with 3 rifles really leaves me cold. Sure, it is "fixed" for now on two of them, but still doesn't give me the warm fuzzy that the problem won't come back at the worst possible moment.

Does anyone make a permanent fix for this issue in after market parts? Flinch

Unfortunately the former CEO of Remington/Freedom group made the ill choice of laying off the best of the best gun smith/ builder/ engineers they had at the North Haven plant to save a penny and make the books look better for Remington and the other companies Cerbus has gorged on. They had the fix and the better way all ready to go and then the sudden and worst day they have ever known came. :'( :'(

As for now, we will have to wait and see if Remington ever gets the hang of making a levergun and then comes up with the fix as needed like the one previously mentioned. :-\

·
Banned
16,492 Posts

My very used 1894 ocassionally had the jam until I replaced the cartridge carrier, magazine spring, follower, and carefully cleaned where the mag tube touches the receiver. It's smooth as glass and utterly reliable now, and I personally have fired a few thousand rounds through it; it was far from new when I got it.

·
Registered
619 Posts

Biku324; Could you tell me where you bought the parts (and the part numbers) that you replaced on your 1894c? I believe I should replace those on my gun as well. Thanks very much....

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts

Biku,

Did you get the "new style" carrier? When PJ fixed my 1894C he asked me to get one because his hacksaw blade fix would not work on mine. He also rounded off the sharp edge on the cam that created the groove in the carrier so it should not happen again to my carbine.

BTW, I ordered my parts and all new replacement screws from Brownell's. Make sure the description says 1894 AND .357 if you have the "C" model. There will also be some duplicate parts for the stainless steel guns.

·
Banned
16,492 Posts

Luckyt & T-bone:

I used MidwayUSA just because it was handy, and did ger the new-style carrier. I had just touched the sharp edge of my lever enough to just barely take off the knife-edge, but ruined 2 perfectly good files for not much gain. That edge is HARD!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts

Stones are the way to go removing that edge!

Carefully...fine works well and cuts fast enough that it only takes a couple of minutes.

Jon

·
Banned
16,492 Posts

Yes - I really should have gotten a fine stone at the time, but didn't. . .my mama tole me. . .stupid is as stupid does. . . :-\

1 - 10 of 10 Posts