Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can no longer see the sights on my rifles and handguns - I'm basically guessing where the blurs line up. It's due to being well over 40 (actually it's 60). Scopes work, but I'd rather not scope the 39a.

I'd like to find out about aperture sights, and was thinking of also having a globe front sight with inserts. When I was a young man I tried a rifle set up like this and loved it.

Has anyone whose eyes got a bit fuzzy set up a rifle with a peep and globe and found it solved the sighting problem? Any way to test whether an aperture sight would work good for me? I hate spending money of things that I can't use.

Assuming that I decide to get one, does anyone have first hand experience with this set up, that can offer suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Is an Aperature sight for a 39a my solution for my tired old eyes? Answer=YES Curl your fingers to form a tube with your fingertips curled into the palm of your hand...look through the tube your fingers form at printing in a Magazine or Newspaper...close the size of the hole gradually... if the printing gets clearer...buy a Peep Sight. I would recommend starting by having a look at Skinners here on the MO. When I look down open (notch) sights, I see two images. I then have to guess which one is the right one, so, I now use Peeps or a scope. My eye's are six decades old too!

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
559 Posts
Is an Aperature sight for a 39a my solution for my tired old eyes? Answer=YES Curl your fingers to form a tube with your fingertips curled into the palm of your hand...look through the tube your fingers form at printing in a Magazine or Newspaper...close the size of the hole gradually... if the printing gets clearer...buy a Peep Sight. I would recommend starting by having a look at Skinners here on the MO. When I look down open (notch) sights, I see two images. I then have to guess which one is the right one, so, I now use Peeps or a scope. My eye's are six decades old too!
Leverforever, I have the same problem with 60+year eyes. I tried the finger tube test as per your post. I found no difference in the clarity as I tightened the size of the "tube." I conclude this means that a peep sight will not help me. Have I interpreted your methodology correctly?

I am currently using the original buckhorn rear site and the tube front sight on a Marlin 1894. I, too, do not want to put a scope on it, but beyond 50yds I really can't get a good sight picture. If a different type of steel sights will help, great. If not, I will add a scope the Marlin.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Randy,

It will help... Really... With an aperture sight there are two factors working in your favor. 1. Looking through the hole, no matter who's eyes are doing the looking, creates more depth of field helping bring the front sight into better focus. 2. You no longer need to "see" the rear sight. Now you just look through it and your eye automatically centers the front sight. You can focus on the front sight/alignment on the target, breath control, and trigger squeeze.

Skinner Sights has a Money Back guarantee. If you would like to try it, we would be glad to help you.

Please check out our website at Marlin peep sights

Hope that helps,

ANDY

Reactions: tnpaw

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Randy, one of the issues with my eyes is astigmatism. Doing the peep through tiny hole greatly improves clarity for me. As Parson said, the peep eliminates the need to focus on the rear sight. I would certainly give them a try, as they are very functional and compliment the great lines of a Marlin rifle.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
As you can see, the answer to your question really is "maybe" or "it depends". As above, a peep is certainly well worth trying, but for some of us a peep is only a temporary stay of execution for blurry sights. I still love shooting iron and will always shoot iron to some extent, but my eyes are now at a point where there is no denying that even a red dot works better for me than a peep. Just the way it is for me, so some, not all, of our Marlins now wear scopes. Beats the heck out of leaving them in the safe because of old eyes. Give a peep a try. Only way to find out.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
With Skinners money back guarantee what do you have to lose by trying one?If it does not work for you send it back and use the refund money to purchase a scope.Problem solved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hear you about the eyes...heck , even a red dot looks like red lightning or fireworks instead of a dot to me..:hmmmm:
Years ago had a Merit eye glass aperture....can't find it....
Try this: take a target dot and punch a clean hole with a small punch and put it on your glasses over your dominant eye. That'll tell you and show you how it works for you....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
The size of the aperture is important, for getting the fore sight clear. The smallest I used for target shooting was 0.035". Make a pinhole in a piece of stiff card and look through it at your foresight, from a distance of 2 feet. Make bigger holes if you like but be prepared to accept less foresight clarity.

Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts