Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was considered lucky to run into a 100+ year-old Marlin Model '94 in a hard-to-find caliber 25-20 almost 2 years ago. The LGS had it as a consignment item. The price was $590 Canadian. Been on the used guns rack for while. I guess because of the odd caliber it was difficult to find a buyer? What attracted me was the octagonal barrel which will match my other Marlin 30-30 which also sports an octagon barrel. I tried a low ball offer of $450. A phone call was made & to my surprise he told me the seller accepted my offer. I told him that I will think about it for a week.
Any way I returned with a friend about a week later & I bought the gun.
Since then, I learn everything about reloading 25-20 and managed to buy & accumulated quite a few brass & bullets ( over 300 ) in this caliber.
Enjoyable gun to shoot & I keep wondering that I might have actually "stole the gun" at this price ;))
Will share some pics soon.. ..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Be sure to wipe fingerprints. If that is $365 US I'll give you $500 and meet you in a canoe at Boundary Bay

·
Registered
135 Posts
Like I can tell one end of a canoe from the other. Enjoy your prize.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
It looks like a nice solid rifle. It pairs nice with your 1893. I do not see many 1894s here in NE Indiana in any other caliber. 32-20 would be next. They do not make them like that anymore. I see most in similar condition for $750-1000. If it were a 44-40 or 38-40 you could add a couple hundred more. If there are more than 4 at a show around here it is rare. 1 or 2 are more common.
The ammo cost keeps a lot of buyers away. I like my 25-20 because I reload. When the average weekend shooter goggles the cost of ammo they get cold feet.
Most collectors seem to want very nice and do not care for the price of ammo.

Reactions: Shenkoh and Big Al1

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was considered lucky to run into a 100+ year-old Marlin Model '94 in a hard-to-find caliber 25-20 a year ago. The LGS had it as a consignment item. The price was $599 Canadian. Been on the used guns rack for while. I guess because of the odd caliber it was difficult to find a buyer? What attracted me was the octagonal barrel which will match my other Marlin 30-30 which also sports an octagon barrel. I tried a low ball offer of $450. A phone call was made & to my surprise he told me the seller accepted my offer. I told him that I will think about it for a week.
Any way I returned with a friend about a week later & I bought the gun.
Since then, I learn everything about reloading 25-20 and managed to buy & accumulated quite a few brass & bullets ( over 300 ) in this caliber.
Enjoyable gun to shoot & I keep wondering that might have actually "stole the gun" at this price ;))
Will share some pics soon.. ..
At that price it should take about a year to wipe the smile off your face.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
ANY 100+ year old Marlin is collectible!

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
Yes, that definitely was a winning lottery ticket.

Reactions: Shenkoh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are pics of my Marlin Model '94 as promised: View attachment 850240 View attachment 850241
At that price it should take about a year to wipe the smile off your face.
My 1st Marlin was a Marlin 1893 ( a gift from an old pal ) in 30-30 which looks almost identical to this Model '94. May be that's the reason I just feel comfortable buying it. When I bought it I had no idea that 25-20 is an obsolete cartridges & very pricey. I just like the octagon barrel. Fortunately, the brass & projectiles are still relatively easy to find if you look hard enough ;))
A box of 50 25-20 in the store here cost $105 plus taxes on top! If you could find them.... ...

·
Registered
14,531 Posts
I just sold my Marlin 1894 25/20 a few months ago. It wasn’t mint but well taken care of. Tapered octagon barrel. I still have its twin in 32/20, which is exceptional shooter. I got $1200 for my 25/20.
I’ve only got one 25/20 left, a m53 Win .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just sold my Marlin 1894 25/20 a few months ago. It wasn’t mint but well taken care of. Tapered octagon barrel. I still have its twin in 32/20, which is exceptional shooter. I got $1200 for my 25/20.
I’ve only got one 25/20 left, a m53 Win .
Good to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Collectible? Not yes, but HECK yes! While I wouldn't call the 25-20 a rare caliber, I would call it a favorite one. I've one 1894 in 25-20 that's a close cousin of yours and with it's Lyman tang sight is quite the shooter. You have a nice rifle there.
If you ever get tired of it, I know a very quite two track in extreme northern North Dakota where a guy could get lost and accidently find yourself on the other side of the Medicine Line. Just saying!! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Collectible? Not yes, but HECK yes! While I wouldn't call the 25-20 a rare caliber, I would call it a favorite one. I've one 1894 in 25-20 that's a close cousin of yours and with it's Lyman tang sight is quite the shooter. You have a nice rifle there.
If you ever get tired of it, I know a very quite two track in extreme northern North Dakota where a guy could get lost and accidently find yourself on the other side of the Medicine Line. Just saying!! :)
nice old rifle for sure, don’t know if the readers are aware of the ( Jordan ) buck back in 1914 up in Danbury , Wisconsin was gut shot with a 25/20, I believe the record stood till 1985 when the Hansen buck came along, interesting story if one looks into it. One can resize 32/20’s to make your ammo , you will crumple a few but for long time the 32/20’s were half the price. Enjoy your fine old rifle,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts