Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 2 model 336'S both in 30-30 and love them both. One was made in 58 nd the other is a 09. I've been noticing quite a few .444'S in the gun shops for sale in my area. Most are in good shape and the prices are better than buying new. I'd like to get a big bore rifle but I'm not sure if the .444 Is really for me.
If the gun was desingned to use a .44mag bullet couldn't I just buy a .model 1894 in .44mag and upload it to .444? I reload and have fired 300gr bullets out of my Redhawk.I know velocity would be increased with a pistol cartridge coming out of a carbine length barrel. I know that would really improve the versatility of the .44mag. What kind of velocity/foot lbs would I gain by buying a .444.
What would be a common max bullet weight for the triple4. I would be buying this rifle for hunting Northern Ontario moose and any deer that might get in the way.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Welcome to MO Quinn.
The 444 will add around 5-600 fps to any bullet weight compared to the 44 mag., this is about the same MV difference between a hot 45-70 load and the 460 Weatherby magnum with the same bullet weight.
I consider the 444 to be an excellant short to medium range stopper on medium sized game and it certainly has been for me on our big Red Deer.
The 444 will handle 300gr. jacketed bullets with ease and there are hardcast bullets and molds available for use in the 444 that are a lot heavier than this.
I'm sure Moose have been shot with the 44 but I'd much rather have a 444 in my hands for this purpose.
Hope this helps,
Aussie.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
I'm sure the 444 can kill a Moose within it's range with good bullets placement. People have been using 30 30 win. to kill Moose and cartridges of less powder to do so for years. I hand load too but find that Hornady make powerful and accurate ammo. If you buy the 444 and you feel you need more power look into the 444 superformance.
http://www.hornady.com/store/444-Marlin-265-gr-interlock-FP-Superformance/

I assure you the 444 .430" 265gr. isn't a pistol bullet pushed to rifle velocity. It is a rifle bullet.

Unless the moose is wearing a bullet proof vest, you are going to bring home moose meat.

TO NY

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
No, the 444 is not a glorified 44mag. It is a rifle round capable of much more. you should shoot one and see. ;) I use the 265gr hornady Light Mags or the Georgia Arms loads, and the Grizzly 320gr cast for elk.

·
Registered
798 Posts
When it comes to bullet weight, we have members that have successfully tested bullets up to 405 grns with good results. In most instances the 290 grn cast bullets will be all you will need for Moose, elk, and black bear. You can shoot heavier bullet and both bullets and molds are available for the 444. I have a model 94 in 44 mag and three 444's and I can assure you the 444 is not just a 44 on steroids. It is my go to gun for ufos, black helicoptors, dinosores, and mastadons. If elk, moose, or deer get in the way it will harvest them also. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Yes it is a glorified .44 magnum, much like a .458 Win Mag is a glorified .45 Colt. The only thing the .444 has in common with the .44 mag is caliber. It is a rifle round for big game, not a pistol round. The cases have no relation to each other, the .44 Mag is a lengthened .44 Special, which is a lengthened .44 Russian. The .444 is a variation of the .30-06 case and was purpose built to provide a large, powerful lever cartridge suitable for all North American game, a role which it fulfills superbly.

There is no creature in North America (and most of the rest of the world) which cannot be humanely hunted with the .444

PS: My .444's have accounted for many big moose and bear in the last 40 years.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Other then sharing the same bore diameter as a 44mag, That's about as close as the two get!
I hope you ain't trolling, because a couple of hours on the Net would have answered your question.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Nuff said! DP

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
No- the 444 Marlin is not just a glorified 44 Mag. And thinking that one could just take a 44 Mag and "Upload it to 444" is dangerous thinking.

These are 2 different calibers with different purposes. Certainly people can and do take game with calibers that are less powerful than what most people recommend for that game- but the less powerful caliber was not designed or intended for that. Handloaders have to live within the limitations built into calibers in order to be safe and ethical hunters.

You could load your 444 down to be like a 44 Mag- but not the other way around.

Bullets make a big difference in the 444. Using handgun bullets driven to rifle velocities will almost always diminish the performance of the bullet to a point that it would be more effective had it come from a 44 Mag handgun. If you are looking to get better, or best performance from the 444- be sure to use rifle type bullets in it. Most bullet manufacturers are good about publishing recommended velocities for their bullets- use that as a guide and you will use the right bullets, the right way, for the right game.

Get that 444 and go get that moose....

M

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I just shake my head sometimes when I read this stuff. That's why people get hurt.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will no longer believe a .444 is a glorified .44Mag if you stand behind a .265 gr. bullet loaded to safe but hot levels in both rifles. Even better, make sure you use the hard rubber, thin butt pad that comes with the .444 while shooting it. There will be a noticeable power difference and concussion from the 2 different guns. The .444 speaks with raw power, and your shoulder will know you've launched something diufferent. The kick in the .444 can be managed with butt pads like Limbsaver.

rimrock

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
At 100 yards or under, i'll take a .444 with a hardcast bullet over a .375 H&H, for the dangerous stuff. You can load bullets to 400 grains. 7 fast shots out of a 61/4 lb rifle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope I didn't get off on the wrong foot with my first post. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass by asking this question. I'm very impressed with all thqe feedback. I asked it here because I knew I'd get the right answer without being flamed. I just wanted to put to rest some of the bad information I've been getting from a few gun shop owners. Most are just trying to sell me a new gun in the newest high speed super short magnum. I'm very new to big bore mid range rifles and the .444 looks like a good fit for me. If any Canadians read this, how hard is it to find reloading supplies for this caliber?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forum. After years of gunwriters/gunshop owners/ workers trying their best to kill off any attempts to upgrade traditional lever gun rounds may have left me a bit touchy. There are alot of great people here and a wealth a knowledge. A 444 will kill a brownbear out to 200 yards, just as dead as a .338 or a 416 magnum. A 444 isnot a 600 yard elk slayer, neither should a 338 magnum be. bolt action rifle/cartridge combos give you the edge in long range, if your good enough to take advantage of it. Even if you can, your chanches of a cripple, as opposed to a clean kill decrease with ranges past 300 yards, no matter what you use. Hope this helps answer your question.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Sometimes we who have been in the shooting sports for more than a few years may sound just a bit "overbearing". Please forgive us, we forget that everyone has to start some where. Now, put out that smoldering shirt sleeve and listen up to some very knowledgable guys. And remember, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, but went ahead and tryed. Welcome aboard. DP

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
You came to the right place for answers. Sometimes you'll just get a short hello or where are the pictures of your new firearm? Either way we're just saying hello, welcome to MO and thanks for joining the best forum in the world, regardless of topic.

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
QuinnJoBlow said:
I hope I didn't get off on the wrong foot with my first post. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass by asking this question. I'm very impressed with all thqe feedback. I asked it here because I knew I'd get the right answer without being flamed. I just wanted to put to rest some of the bad information I've been getting from a few gun shop owners. Most are just trying to sell me a new gun in the newest high speed super short magnum. I'm very new to big bore mid range rifles and the .444 looks like a good fit for me. If any Canadians read this, how hard is it to find reloading supplies for this caliber?
I have bought parts for my BLR from Canada through www.gunbroker.com and I'm sure you can buy reloading supplies from the USA. Cases and projectiles in the component state isn't ammo or Hazmat material. Try www.midwayusa.com, www.midsouthshooterssupply.com you have nothing to lose.

·
Super Moderator
15,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum, here is a great example of somebody REALLY not knowing anything about the rifle they were selling (it did sell BTW). I added in a few highlights. The .444 to me is that something special, when I pick it up I KNOW I have a handful of go get it! I have a 45/70, 30-06,.270 and more than a couple 336 3030 sitting here, BUT the .444 always makes me smile. Here's the link to the gun in the description:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,33200.0.html
Mr fixit

We are offering for sale an Like New Marlin Lever Action Model 444 in .444 Safety Sporter Barrel with a Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 scope. The 22" stainless blued barrel is in excellent shape the bore is clear clean and shiny with all lands and grooves showing, the outside over 95% with no marking, rust, or pitting. The action is smooth and crisp. The hammer has the extender on it so you can cock it with the scope. The wood is in very good shape with minor handling marks no deep cuts, gouges, or cracks. The scope is a very nice Bushnell Banner in 3-9X40 all you will ever need with this gun. This is a great guide, bush, bear, elk, bison, big game animal gun. The round is basically a 240 grain .44 magnum round with two times the powder pushing the bullet. The dynamics of this round give a 500 yard shot with little drop and over 1,300 ft lbs of energy when it hits it is amazing what this gun can do. Actual piece is pictured. I also have 10 boxes of ammo for this instead of the $43.00 a box from the store I will sell this seperately for $30 a box including shipping if order all ten $30 a box and $7.50 shipping if not. This is just one of our great collections of guns which will be updated from time to time with new offerings, so check us often. ****Please Read This Before Purchasing**** There are no refunds or exchanges for any reason whatsoever!! We will answer any questions you have about the item for sale and we will send additional pictures if you need them. We have tried to accurately describe the firearm and any additional information will be added to the auction description. Most Items are USED and are sold as is. We only ship to FFL dealers on firearms required to be according to ATF Regulations. We do ship to C&R licensed persons for qualified firearms. As you may be aware California has decided it is not part of the United States and now all guns must be approved by the Department of Justice in California before shipping to an FFL dealer in California I call it the Californication factor and anyone living there should be suing the state every day. You are responsible to check your state laws concerning the legality of this weapon before bidding. We accept Cashiers Checks or Postal Money Orders only at this time. All firearms will be mailed with insurance and delivery confirmation. Buyer will pay for all shipping and handling costs. Shipping is usually $25.00 for hand guns and $35.00 (due to rate increases) for long guns and actual cost will be charged if more, in the case of California we will surcharge shipping $10 for either rifles or pistols due to their unreasonable demand on us. We will combine for savings if more than one item is purchased.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts