Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing with iron sights on my 336 W as it is easier to carry with them and would be handy for a rifle for the tractor/ 4 wheeler and just carry on walks. 30-30 would be adequate for about anything I would encounter. I used to shoot muzzleloader competition and won some matches with iron sights. Hunted with them and built ML's and made my own sights for them. I pretty much know what works and what don't for me. Decided there are better sights. At my 71 years especially.
Really think I may put the scope back on.
Carnivore Dog breed Mammal Collar Fawn

It worked on the rifle as this one was running away. More difficult to carry but I can at least see what I am shooting at.

DEP

·
Banned
19,622 Posts
On my .44 Mag 1894's I run a threaded XS rear loop with a Williams long shank .125" aperture and a Skinner narrow .10" blade up front. Sighted a little high close in, the bullet hits dead on the top of the blade at 135 yards, my personal limit for shooting live animals. I'll take shots at tin cans (sometimes hitting very well) as far away as a human can see. Everybody has a favored sight picture that's just right for their eyes and just right for their brain. If you're shooting irons, find what your eyes and your perception likes the best. Practice A LOT.

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Gas Tints and shades
Surveillance camera Fixture Wood Cylinder Building material

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Agreed ! Scope or aperture sights for me.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
943 Posts
If I shoot paper or steel, irons or peeps are ok. It is fun no matter what happens. Now when going to the field hunting I have my rifles scoped. I want to do as much as possible for a clean kill. My old eyes are not what they used to be.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Williams receiver sight laying around that could be used but I would have to D&T the rifle as the newer Marlins have you use the scope mount holes. I have an old RC Waffle top that has a receiver sight and could use it. Don't like the bulbous forearm as well. It also has a bit of a hair trigger. Using the factory rear sight on the 336W and just wanted to play with it. Requires that one file the step elevator for fine tuning. As I am making one it requires filing anyway.
Looking at a pair of heavy-duty Weaver scope mounts and putting the 1.5X4.5 scope back on. My uses might be such that the irons would be practical until deer season?. At least its fun to play around with. Had a receiver sight on my 22 Henry magnum and decided to put the scope on it.

DEP

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out after posting and shot it after drifting the sight to the right. Due to the glare off the front sight, it shot farther to the left. Remounted my 1.5X4.5 scope using a strong er mount setup. Thinking about my uses I want something that I can roll a coyote with at 100 yards as well as a comfort to carry in case something wants to bite me. The 1.5 setting does show the front sight at the bottom. Getting older and the eyes seem to function better with a scope. There were a lot of good suggestions here but I am too cheap for most of them.

DEP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts