Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok eastern NC, here she comes. Take a deep seat, grab leather, and hold on its going to be a rough one. Good luck everyone.

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Im keeping everyone along the East Coast in my prayers!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi cajun, The storm is by passing Florida. We have had heavy rains and some winds, but the majority of the storm has been out to sea and heading north of us. Everyone up the eastern seaboard get yourself secure and ready for the storm out of harms way. Marla

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Prayers to all that are displaced by this storm.I'm glad I'm inland a bit,so it wont be a direct hit.But in my area of NY are forecast for strong winds and up to 7" rain.The ground is soaked by constant rains already and is quite the mudhole.This is not good.Today will be time to batten down the hatches.Irene will hit tonight(sat) thru sunday night here.Hope to be back here on MO by Monday as we will likely lose the satellite internet.Take care all!!

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Folks,Serious flooding here.9" rain and still raining!!Creeks and rivers at least 6 feet OVER flood stage.Water is washing over my road even,because it cant fit thru the culvert pipe.I've never seen this happen.All creeks will break flood records.Fortunately I'm at a higher elevation.But even my lttle creek is over the banks and flooding my horse pastures.Wind not as much of a factor.
Update 6:24pm Local creek 15 ft Over flood stage and over a foot above record and flood waters not crested yet.Area below dam evacuated.Roads closed for all except emergency.Power out for 2 hours now and working off generator.Internet off and on-mostly off.Only good news is it stopped raining.
The storm total is 10" rain.Some trees uprooted.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Irene was pretty tuff, but we fared ok, just got electric back on. Trees down, flooding along the rivers and sounds, but every thing is going to be alright. Praise God. Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Levergunz, Where in NY do you live? I used to go to Sullivan, Ulster and Delaware counties to hunt, fish and as achild spend the summers out of the city. Hope the streams are beginning to reduce the flooding. Marla

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Marla said:
Levergunz, Where in NY do you live? I used to go to Sullivan, Ulster and Delaware counties to hunt, fish and as achild spend the summers out of the city. Hope the streams are beginning to reduce the flooding. Marla
Schoharie co.
All the bridges were closed yesterday over the creek.Today the dam has been inspected,checks ok and most bridges reopened.The water broke a record of 2 feet over the highest ever recorded water level.The water levels are receeding quickly and repair operations under way.
Got a look at the area this morning.Absolutely a horrible mess.1000's of acres of farm land and crops wiped out,houses destroyed,trees down,powerlines down.Two area people lost their lifes.One lady was packing some belongings into the trunk of her car during a flash flood and the water came up quickly and sweep her away.Another fellow thought he could drive thru some water across the road.What he didnt know was there was a 20 foot deep washout of the road suface under the water and it swallowed up his car.
I,m fortunate to live at a higher altitude above the valley floor.Many people were not.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Levergunz sounds like she delivered in a big way...Never having dealt with a storm like that. I was surprized at the water dumped that far north. Especially Vermont.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Levergunz, When I was a child there was a bad rainstorm between Ellenville and Kerhonksen. The rains came down the mountains flooded the streams and washed a house off its foundation into the stream. The people said it was a 100 year flood. If the storm was as bad as that year its about 55 years apart. Marla

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Marla said:
Levergunz, When I was a child there was a bad rainstorm between Ellenville and Kerhonksen. The rains came down the mountains flooded the streams and washed a house off its foundation into the stream. The people said it was a 100 year flood. If the storm was as bad as that year its about 55 years apart. Marla
Marla,
huge areas affected and yes its quite bad.I've been here for 24 years and never seen such as this.There is alot of photos being sent in to the times union newspaper up in albany 35 miles away.Google the newspaper and check out the website pics.People dont realize the amount of cleanup.The towns of middleburg,schoharie,central bridge all hard hit.These towns are all in the Schoharie valley.There is also considerable damage in the Albany area too.I know NY isnt the only state involved as Vermont,Conn,NJ etc were also hit hard.Yesterday I88 and I90 were reopened,so that should help relieve some traffic issues.The National guard has been assisting in relief effort along with utility companys from as far away as the midwest states.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Levergunz thanks for the up date.

·
Registered
578 Posts
While I wasn't home in NC (22 more days), my wife and son were at home by the beach. Got a new roof being put on next week. :(

CD

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Combat Diver, Sorry to hear about the loss or your house roof. I assume your wife and child came through it okay. I am praying for you to come home safely. I am also praying for your family that everything turns out for the better and is well. Marla

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks Marla,

They came through it fine. Lost lots of shingles on the roof and its leaking now, so new roof time. Three more weeks and time to go home (tried of being deployed).

CD

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Combat Diver, I always pray for our service men overseas and thank those I see at home. Stay well and I pray for your SAFE RETURN. Marla

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Took a drive thru Schoharie.Here are some pics.It is alot worse then what the pics indicate.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Schoharie village had buildings with water marks at 7-8 feet,barns dislodged and moved,garages blown apart,houses carried away,houses moved off the foundations,motor homes completely brown and glass blown out.mobile homes completely flat.Red mud everywhere!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many people in Pamlico Beach NC lost everything they own. They need our prayers. Try going to abc11.com and search hurricane IRENE videos you will see what this storm looked like when she came ashore. Of course it didn't come ashore there but it's not very far across the pamlico sound to where it did come ashore. Jerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts