Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my very first levergun Saturday.

Sold my AK-47 clone and I went looking for an 1894 in .44 Mag so I could have ammo compatibility with my favorite revolver - 5" 629 Classic. But, the 1894s in .44 are hard to find, and expensive too boot.

Called all the local gunshops and one had a 1894SS in stock for $489. Didn't really want stainless.

Another shop had a used levergun in .44 so I went to check it out. It was a Browning 92. Furniture was kinda beat up and they wanted $489 for it.

Then I held a 336 and it was all over. I really liked the curved pistol grip stock vs. staight.

Walked out of there with a 336W in .30-30.

I'm not much of a hunter, yet, and this gun was bought for a SHTF gun. As I said, I sold an AK clone to get this, so at least I have stayed ballistically equal. And I gained in accuracy, and ammo quality, and in a very important aspect - appearance. It occured to me that after 9/11, if I was defending my property with an AK, I could/would be mistaken for a terrorist. With a lever gun, I look like a good ole boy hunter. Very important, IMHO.

So, now I am researching .30-30 loads - have 3 boxes of Leverevolution I will be trying out Saturday.

I plan on eventually putting a scout scope on it, but for now, I have a new open front sight hood on order from Marlin, and I will be putting a Marble's orange firesight style front sight on it, with a full buckhorn sight rear.

BTW, I don't see what all the fuss is about the cross bolt safety. It's no big deal to me. My Mossberg has a safety, my Beretta 92 has one, and you should try using the one on the AK.

I am enjoying the forum and looking forward to learning more.....

BTW, for choosing a front sight, how do you measure the height? From the top or the bottom of the dovetail?

TIA

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. Some of the W 336's are fussy about the new leverevloution ammo.. some love it, some hate it.. I have great luck with Winchester Power Points 170's.. just something else to try some time for you..
I think Brownell's on there site has a calculator on the site height you ask. I am sure other here can answer it also..

Hunting is much more fun with levergun , you should get into it.. you will probably find other levergunners that live near you on here and can help..

I don't have a problem with the saftey either, but there are lots of easy fixes anyway..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Congrats

Hey 336,

Welcome a board. 336's are nice guns. I love mine. I'm also a new owner. Got mine 6 months ago.
Just as heads up, if you visit this forum often enough you might catch marlinites. It is a very dangerous illness. I got it bad. Now I have 1895 in 45-70 and placed an order for 1894SS. Bad stuff, dude. Hope you will be luckier than most of us here :twisted:

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Congrats

the_mad_rshn said:
Hey 336,

Welcome a board. 336's are nice guns. I love mine. I'm also a new owner. Got mine 6 months ago.
Just as heads up, if you visit this forum often enough you might catch marlinites. It is a very dangerous illness. I got it bad. Now I have 1895 in 45-70 and placed an order for 1894SS. Bad stuff, dude. Hope you will be luckier than most of us here :twisted:

Cheers,
Mad
Thanks for the welcome, and the warning.

As a SHTF gun[primarily], I will probably be satisfied with one. If I get into hunting, I will most likely get a .450 Marlin GG for Elk.

But, I have to get to know the 336 first, and get her equipped properly.

BTW, I did some dry firing yesterday, and the trigger is fine on mine. But then again, I cut my teeth on DA trigger pulls on pistols.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
FWiedner said:
I will probably be satisfied with one.

Famous last words...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats what I said after getting my second Marlin. Jee wizz :evil:

Cheers,
Mad

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Re: Congrats

the_mad_rshn said:
Just as heads up, if you visit this forum often enough you might catch marlinites. It is a very dangerous illness.

336Whiskey said:
Thanks for the welcome, and the warning........ I will probably be satisfied with one.
HA - Too late. Guess you guys didn't realize Larry set the place up so that the first time you log on with the new username and password, you're infected with the Marlinitis bug from the get go..........So you already have it, and there's no known cure - just symptom treatment. Heck, you'll probably have your second by New Years........(Don't forget about the 39 family - a GREAT way to ease the pain :D

Shum8

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Congratulations! and welcome! Your chiropractor will not have anymore business....the left side of your pants will never be any heavier than an empty wallet!! :lol: but fer sure your wife, if you're married, is going to be checking your every return home to see what the bags and boxes hold. and bank account balances will be notably smaller. Remember....he who dies with the most toys, wins!! :lol: ONE is NEVER ENOUGH!! 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts