Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the recent past, I ordered a couple new 4 cavity bullet molds from Tom at Accurate Molds.

In shortly after 3 weeks, the 2 new molds arrived both looking Great!

One mold, the 275gr for a son's .444 and possibly for my .44 has been used a number of times with great results, and last week I got the .30 cal., 175gr mold up and running.

This mold is a fall back, push comes to shove bullet for my son's .308, my 30/06 and our 300s.

Bullets cast well with my Wheel Weight Alloy and look great.

I have bought .309, .310 and .311 sizing dies and thinking to make up some dummy rounds for a fit test in the .308, decided to first go with the .311 die.

WOW, took a HUGE!!!! amount of force to get the bullet into the die, and then I had to remove the die from the RCBS sizer/luber press and drive the bullet from the die with a hammer.

I contacted Tom about the situation, and after we "E"ed back and forth a few times, I packed up the mold, the almost new die, the one bullet I had attempted to size, some additional .30 cal but unsized cast bullets, along with a couple triple 4 bullets (one as cast and the other sized/lubed and gas check seated) which were cast at the same time with the same alloy to show that it appeared the alloy was OK.

Mailed the package the last of this past week, and Tom has already cast some bullets from the returned mold, sized them in a .312 die, measured and compared his bullets with those I sent and determined that something is wacko with this .311 die.

He had the same results with his bullets in my die, and his bullets varied only very slightly in diameter from those I sent and about 2 gr in weight.

Given that most of us know that WW alloy is not a hard and fast or exact mix, everything seems OK with my alloy.

The ejector pin slides freely in the .311 die, but Tom suggest there may be a burr internally and suggests I attempt to hone the die.

He also says he has never seen this problem. Hmmmmmmmmmm??

Anyway, Greatly impressed with not only the quality of Tom's molds, but his turn around time and the speed with which he has addressed the situation I am trying to work through.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
That's great to hear, got my new mold from Tom a week or so ago, have not had time to play with it yet. I'm very confident that Tom will try and make anything right

1 - 2 of 2 Posts