Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the following gun auctions on www.gunbroker.com The first is auction #18196019 and that was for a Marlin Model 93 serial number A97. The interesting thing about it is that it is in .32-40 caliber and with a 30 inch barrel. Maybe one of a kind for a Model 93. This rifle was made sometime after 1922 and I had it in my data base. It sold for $1700.

The next rifle was also on www.gunbroker.com with auction number 18211110. It was a Marlin Model 1889 Deluxe with what looks to me like factory engraving. Had nice wood with checkering. It sold for $1775. I thought it was a good buy. Deluxe engraved Model 1889's are hard to come by. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'd bet the '93 was not a Corporation marked barrel! Probably a leftover from the pre WWI era. Somebody got a heck of a gun for $1700. Likewise on the 1889! The bidders really fell asleep on that gun! It should have gone a whole lot higher! Can't be very many engraved 1889's out there! What a steal!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's interesting about the Model 93's with the A prefix to the serial number is that all have a 20 inch barrel including the rifles. The rifles can be round, octagon or 1/2 octagon. The only one reported different so far is A97 with the 30 inch barrel.

You are right in that most have the Marlin Firearms Co. barrel with a few reporting the Corporation barrel. I would have bought the 1889 if I had the money. I emailed the gentleman who was selling it an got the lowdown on the wood. I could not tell about the checkering in the photos but he said the wood was very nice with excellent checkering. He also told me the location of the engraving on the metal. I would say it had grade 3 engraving. Someone got a very nice deal. Parley

·
Registered
397 Posts
I too, was watching both of those auctions.
I agree that they both sold CHEAP. Two very desirable collector guns.
How come these always come up when I just got done buying my wife a new couch or carpet, or braces for my sons teeth, etc., etc. ?????

WB

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yes, having gone gun nuts recently, I wasn't even watching the auctions! I've wanted a factory engraved Marlin forever, and this is the 3rd one I've seen, that I could afford, and always when I'm down on funds!

·
Registered
719 Posts
need money? call kaintuck......

Have you recently needed money for that SPECIAL gift? Well.... ponder no more, Kaintuck's Pawn Shop is now open for business........we will accept those old Marlins and Ballards and will even accept swiss buttplated special order 1881's. We will loan the money you need! Just ship me the rifle, and expect a check in the mail! :D

Legal stuff:all rifles will be held for 2 days, and if they are not redemed, all said rifles become sole property of kaintuck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds fair to me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If I had lotsa scratch, I'd be watching gun auctions like a hawk right now- the recent skulduggery on e-bay has affected internet auctions in general- bids are staying down just about every where. Perhaps we will see a reduction in the over inflated values of some guns for the next little while.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Kaintuck,
Always the gentleman, and never any ulterior motives! what's that fine print say? It's so small I can't read it, so I guess it's not important to my borrowing from you? :wink:
Doc,
Guess I missed the thing about Ebay? What went on there?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I hope your right, Doc.
Maybe Marlins (and collector guns in general) have kinda hit a plateau for a while.
It's about time !
They have been on a steady increase since I really got serious about collecting Marlins 10 yrs. ago. Just like everything else; as soon as I decided I really liked those old Marlins, so did the rest of the population of North America. I always hear about "the good 'ol days" when everybody collected Winchesters, and you couldn't hardly give a Marlin away. Deluxe takedowns for $250.
Makes me weak in the knees to think about it...........

WB

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
There was some bid cooking on e-bay 3 or 4 weeks ago- apparently high ticket items were involved- it made the national news here, but I did not get the whole story. Quite a few arrests. People on collector camera boards are complaining about values nose diving.... apparently this trend is expected to continue for another few weeks.

Personally, I think that internet auctions have a lot to do with the artificially high values we have been seeing on some guns lately- maybe bid cooking has something to with that as well.....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Most of us are in awe of the prices that many guns garner at internet auctions! I've often wondered if it's just the typical auction frenzy, or that folks just don't see a particular type gun in their area, so they are willing to pony up when it appears.
But I've seen far too many common, non-collectable guns go for big dollars, so I wonder if there isn't rampant stupidity, or some questionable practices?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts