Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy 500 lbs. of WW's. If I melt them down, skim off the drose and cast them into 1 lb. Lyman ingots, would anyone be interested in buying these? I could ship flat rate. I've looked on flea- bay and see where they are offered for .80, .90 per pound. I would beat that price best I could. Heck, I'll even trade for shooting accessories, too. What do you think?

Reactions: myflatline

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I would be interested in trade or purchase of a few, so put me on the list. Looking at your list of rilfes not sure I have any accesories to trade except 45-70 and I do not want to "give up" any of my brass at this time.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I just bought 90lbs on fee-bay. I'm pretty sure you would have good luck moving a couple 100lbs on MO.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Yep I'd be interested too.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, this is not intended to make me rich, lol. I just would like to recoup some expenses. I'll get it today.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Squirrel Dover,

Not to offend anyone here, but with the effort involved and your upfront costs of WW and fuel plus time, your asking price is VERY low.

Over the last couple months, I have had a big series of smelting and except for the few LBs of WW that showed up here Saturday Morning, have everything smelted and cleaned up.

Have considerable more then 500lbs. at this time. Also have a son that figures into the picture as far as cast bullet needs.

So, unless you have a ready supply of future WW available, I'd service the requests from previous posts and save the rest for your own future needs.

WW are not that easy to come by any more and you may well wish you had not been so generous.

I read stories of folk buying WW on ebay and wishing they hadn't, so you are indeed being generous offering fresh, clean and sorted, zinc free WW ingots at your stated price. Your a nice guy, but don't cut yourself short.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
SD, are any of those wheel weights the purd lead stick on's?

I am out of pure lead for my alloy so I was just checking....

Doc

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Doc,

Have you tried the local classifieds for pure lead?

As you well know, it is where you find it, if your lucky to find any, but I came up with about a 100lbs of pure lead to alloy 50/50 with WW for use in my 45/70.

Funny, but 75lbs was in brick sized and shaped blocks, 25lbs each, that were set to be used in a small reactor set to go into one of the local universities. Project got nixed and the fellow had these three bricks he could spare.

Anyway, with the 50lbs of lead I bought from Rotometals I should have enough to fill my 45/70 needs.

The local on line classifieds around here, doesn't cost anything, and it did turn up about a 100lbs of pure lead for me.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Doc, I'll check my stash of ingots. Somewhere I've got about 150 lbs of pure.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buying trip netted 885 lbs of WW's. Now waiting for the Advil to kick in.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I'm in, all I can get is soft, would love to get some hard or WW to mix. I'll take a good portion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts