Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Congrats on the retirement buddy! Got a few years to go myself, but would be interested in any input/knowledge you 'already retired' folks have too!

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
You may want to look into a cost sharing program like Samaritan Ministries, Christian Healthcare Ministries, Liberty HealthShare, Medi-Share etc. I know guys that use stuff like this and their premiums are around $500/mo vs 3-4x that much for a conventional plan. Not sure what the coverage limits are though or how hard it is to get on to a plan like that.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
What sort of insurance? Life? Health?

This very reason is why many workers don't retire until they reach 65.

Are you eligible for health insurance under COBRA? If so, that will get you the same insurance you're leaving for a max of 18 months. Otherwise, you'll need to contact an insurance broker for three years' coverage. I'd do that ASAP. If it's not too late, you may want to hold on for a bit until there is an open enrollment period.

It will set you back a bit, though.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks every one for your replies. I went to my local doctors office today because of a inner ear infection and was told that Obummers heathcare penalties no longer apply. This was great news to me because I got raped last year for $2100.00 full penalty because my wife did not have insurance the full year. We go to a doctor maybe once a year. I might be able to make it until medicare kicks in for me. My wife is much younger and has a State heath insurance plan like I had. I'm in good health, I have only seen a doctor about 5 times in the last 10 years. If what I was told is true I will gladly take the risk the for the next 3 years. Some may ask why I would retire so early. The main reason is that I am a correction officer and with 240 or more idiots inmates to deal with daily, and only 3 more male Officers to back me up the odds just don't pan out. I have 22 years of being a Leo and frankly I'm just fed up. Beside all of that my Father, age 87 will be moving in with me very soon. I would rather spend my time caring for him than baby sitting criminals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.