Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased Uncle Mike's "1331-2" sling swivel setup. To install it you must take out the two screws that clamb the bands which hold the barrel and mag. tube together. You also have to take out the screw that is at the end of the magazine, I know not why.

After doing this, I could wiggle the magazine tube but it didn't slide forward. (One has to do this so you can slip the ring onto the magazine tube to which clips the forward part of the sling.) Fortunately I was able to get the three screws back into the proper place and I was able to chamber rounds from the magazine.

Still, it is frustrating that I followed the instructions and couldn't budge the tube. What did I do wrong?

thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Can't be much help to y'a friend, but somebody will surely be along shortly and give you some proper advice!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there h777 -- The magazine tube goes over a stud, the end of which is dovetailed into the barrel. It is a hollow post the screw threads into. Once the screw is out you need to use your fingertips and pry the magazine tube away from the barrel and over this stud. If you keep your fingers up near the stud it works better. Be careful as the magazine tube cap is under spring tension and it's quite possible to launch it across a garage and under something heavy. Let us know how you're doing... Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I guess you have a 336C, RC, CS, or AW which has two barrel bands and not a 30A, 30AS, or 336A that has a front barrel band and rear fore end cap, or not a 336SC that has a fore end cap and front magazine tenon. It looks like this:

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

(Click on picture to make bigger.)

On my 336M carbine, the rear band holds the fore end so tight against the magazine tube and the barrel that I have to remove the rear band completely off the fore end and remove the fore end. Once that is done, and that the front barrel band screw has been removed, the magazine can finally move.

To put everything back together, you'd slide the magazine tube through the (still in place) front barrel band just a few inches,
then place the sling stud on the magazine (the side closer to the receiver),
then thread the barrel through the fore end and the rear barrel band and pop everything back in place.
The rear barrel band can be removed and re-installed with the front sight on.
The front band requires the front ramp to be removed but you shouldn't need to mess with it. (Unless you have a 30A, 30AS, or 30AW where you can remove the front band, with the front sight on, but that's neither here nor there in this case.)
You do need to remove the magazine plug so that you can stuff the follower and then the spring back in. This needs to be done with both the rear and front barrel band screws removed.
Then you can tap the rear barrel band and front barrel band back into place, corresponding with the barrel and magazine tubes cut outs. The threaded side of the barrel band points to the right. (Ejection port side.) And then put the mag plug back in. Careful with the eyes...

I did this with this one and I had to file the top of the sling stud to make it fit...

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no way that will budge unless I take the front sight off and then slide the metal ring off. Then I would be able to get that tube off the stud. I think I will let a professional do this.

Hey there h777 -- The magazine tube goes over a stud, the end of which is dovetailed into the barrel. It is a hollow post the screw threads into. Once the screw is out you need to use your fingertips and pry the magazine tube away from the barrel and over this stud. If you keep your fingers up near the stud it works better. Be careful as the magazine tube cap is under spring tension and it's quite possible to launch it across a garage and under something heavy. Let us know how you're doing... Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Super Moderator
16,878 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for the link. It seems that I would have to tap out the front sight...so that I could slide the band close to the muzzle off and that would allow me to separate the magazine tube from the barrel. Then when i am removing the tube I have to be careful because that "pin" is all that keeps the end of the tube from popping off along with the spring? Do I have that right?

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Yes, when you pull the stud out of the front of the mag, the cap may stick a little before it pops. Just keep a finger on it. Or at least don't point it toward TV's, windows, wife's china closet, etc. You can point it at the cat, but it's good to have a video camera running at the time.:flute:

BTW, when you reassemble. it's best to get all the screws started before you put the spring back in, or you'll be fighting the "spring tension" trying to twist the tube out of alignment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.