Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.... I am in the process putting a Marble Tang Sight #9804 on a Mountie... They do not have a listing for this operation. The grip is different of course. There is no screw set listed. It seems as thou I am in the twilight zone here. I called both Brownells and Marble..... The Brownells Tech was no help as he was trying to read the Marble specs also… He did say the angle was minus 69 degrees from something… which I took as to subtract that from 90 degrees of the bore line which would be the standard 21 degree of angle that is used on most Marlins. It sets on the tang good. I then called Marble where a nice lady tried to help… Their techs were evidently was to busy to talk to me and all I got was that “he” said a 39-AS site might work???? Well it looks like I have been using the 39-AS part #9804 site on all my other 39-A’s . But all mine are stamped as 39-A and not as 39-AS…. So a question is…. What is the difference between a 39-A and a 39-AS that requires a completely different Marble part Number?? What I need here is the proper length screws to attach the sight as it seems Marble has not a clue or I am the first person to ever think about installing one of their Tang Sights on a Marlin Mountie. I hope one of you has been down this road before and can help….. Thanks, Hal

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Hal -- If your Mountie is not drilled and tapped on the tang from the factory, and I suspect it is not, you want to use the 9804 sight with the 995015 screw set. This set has an 1.75 inch screw to replace the tang screw and a shorter 10-32 that needs a hole drilled and tapped in the tang, ahead of the tang screw. It looks something like this.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
If your rifle has been drilled and tapped at the factory you will want a 9827 sight and a 995025 screw set. This set has two 8-40 screws that fit the factory tapped holes already in the tang. They look like this. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 9804 worked great.... Job turned out nice... Ready for match on Sunday..... Thanks

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Using the tang screw type I would consider installing a aluminum pillar bed in the wood it will pay you in the long run.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If your rifle has been drilled and tapped at the factory you will want a 9827 sight and a 995025 screw set. This set has two 8-40 screws that fit the factory tapped holes already in the tang. They look like this. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
If I wanted to add the holes to my 39A to mimic the factory drill and tap, and then use the 9827 sight, where would I locate them?

I assume that the holes are 1.125 center to center (but will confirm when I get the sight).
If I scale from the photograph, it looks like the rear hole would be about .425 inch in front of the stock screw hole.

Could someone who has factory drilled and tapped 39A confirm that measurement?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
srf, Just took this of mine... since they are not same size - measuring edge to edge won't work for center to center. if there is another way you'd like to see it, let me know. Also, this is a 1947 vintage so it might not be apples to apples.

Wish I'd have paid more attention to these before I started trying to dink with the scope mount screws on this barrel. Had to have Wind bail me out after if buggered one of thos out.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts