Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's dog was struck by a car and came away from the ordeal with a broken toe and a section of his leg that was degloved. Basically he has a ring around his leg that has no skin down to the bone. Other than a costly skin graft, her vet told her to treat the wound with a an antibiotic dressing, changed twice a day. Was this good advice? Has anyone ever dealt with such an injury?
Thanks.
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have never ran across this before but I just wanted to post and say that I hope he has a full recovery.

Actually now that I am thinking about it I did have a dog that had a skin injury and my vet had me put something on it that would promote the skin to grow back. I'll think on this some more and try to remember. I'd call my vet tomorrow for ya, but he's closed until Tuesday.

-Bob George

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bob.
I've attached a couple of pics so you'll be able to better understand what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
GH1,

I talked to my vet and got the names of what he had me use on my boy a year or so ago. He has also used it on burns from acid on a horse and a few other things as well. He says it will help promote skin growth and keep infection away.

There are two componants; Nitrofurazon and insulin. You mix the Nitrofurazon and insulin together at the rate of 2 tablespons of the nitrofurazon to 1/10 of a Ml (same as a cc). It needs to be mixed fresh and re-applied every 24 to 48 hours. He mixs it with a tongue depressor and applies it with the same. Then he puts on a sterile dressing and wraps it with gauze. He uses tape or vetwrap to hold it all on.

You can buy the Nirofurazone on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/statelinetack-com-Nitrofurazone-Ointment/dp/B001CCZQAY

I'm not sure on the insulin, you might need to talk to your vet about that.

Hope this helps,
-Bob George

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bob. I'll pass this info on to my daughter.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I hope that the dog gets better no matter what treatment is used.

Can you use regular honey or Vermont Bag Balm on it and wrap it up after it is cleaned? I thought that you would need air for it to heal up too... depends on the wound.

They used to do that in the old days for burns and skin wounds. Straight honey - poured it on. Vermont Bag balm was put on in globs after the wounded area was cleaned up.

Best wishes.

Catherine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts